Longtime Reefer Trying Out Planted Freshwater; Hi There!

Hi and hello everyone,

I have been an aquarium hobbyist since I was a child (fish only, freshwater) and later started my first saltwater aquarium back in 2004 while in high school.  I've been reefing ever since and have been working for a popular aquarium manufacturer for a few years.  Living in a saltwater hotspot like Orlando makes things easy, but I find myself growing a little tired of reefing, I've decided its time to return to my roots of freshwater.  🙂

I currently have an empty Waterbox Aquariums AIO 50.3 sitting in my living room and am working out some plans for setting it up.  My longtime hobby mom from work highly recommended this forum to me, so I'm really excited to say hello and get to learning everything that I need to in order to set up my first freshwater planted aquarium.  Thank you in advance for all of your wisdom; I'm really looking forward to learning more!

C49C17AE-E860-416F-B8E4-0E74EE5B38FB.jpeg

Edited by mother._.puffer
Forgot to add the pic of my aquarium!
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

On 10/5/2023 at 8:55 AM, mother._.puffer said:

Living in a saltwater hotspot like Orlando

Have you ever considered going out and collecting your own fish? I know next year the AKA (American Killifish Association) is having their convention in Tampa Bay and they'll be doing collection trips.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:18 PM, Schuyler said:

Have you ever considered going out and collecting your own fish? I know next year the AKA (American Killifish Association) is having their convention in Tampa Bay and they'll be doing collection trips.

That's actually a GREAT suggestion!  I've always wanted to go out with a group to collect my own-- this is super interesting, thanks for bringing it to my attention.  I'll definitely be checking this out.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 2:21 PM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome to the forum. I’ve always been far too intimidated by the technology and skill required to attempt salt. 

Looking forward to seeing your tank develop and evolve. 

I promise it isn't nearly as hard as it looks-- if I can do it, *ANYONE* can do it.  You just need the right support and resources.  If you ever decided to take that plunge, please know my inbox is open if you need some guidance.  Thank you for the warm welcome, my friend!  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 1:43 PM, mother._.puffer said:

promise it isn't nearly as hard as it looks-- if I can do it, *ANYONE* can do it.  You just need the right support and resources. 

Welcome to our forum where you can find "the right support and resources". 

😉

On 10/5/2023 at 8:55 AM, mother._.puffer said:

I currently have an empty Waterbox Aquariums AIO 50.3 sitting in my living room and am working out some plans for setting it up.  My longtime hobby mom from work highly recommended this forum to me, so I'm really excited to say hello and get to learning everything that I need to in order to set up my first freshwater planted aquarium.  Thank you in advance for all of your wisdom; I'm really looking forward to learning more!

That's awesome! The tank looks great.  Since you're from the saltwater side of things, have you seen the movie Chasing Coral? It's such an inspirational one to setup a coral tank.

Welcome to the fun. Looking forward to seeing what you end up making. 🙂

On 10/5/2023 at 11:43 AM, mother._.puffer said:

If you ever decided to take that plunge, please know my inbox is open if you need some guidance. 

Just out of curiosity. If your friend was asking you to setup a small, simple, bulletproof tank for them with one type of fish, one type of coral, one type of macro algae, and any helper invertebrates, what would to recommend?