On 10/4/2023 at 7:40 AM, Ashlyn said:

Thanks! I guess I should probably stop looking for eggs then! 
my angelfish in a different tank lays them so obviously I thought they would be similar, I didn’t think about size.

I saw a technique where you put moss in a tissue culture cup, and it supposedly makes it easier to harvest the eggs. 

CPD eggs are super tiny and clear, which makes them very difficult to see unless you set up an egg trap. The youtube channel Lowell ´ s Fish Lab has a few in-depth videos on both these and specifically breeding CPDs, so if you want to, I´d recommend checking them out! when I tried breeding cpds, I didn't have as much time to put into raising fry as I thought I would, but his videos definitely helped me get some spawns. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2023 at 1:55 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

@tolstoy21 has a method with emperor tetras (also have small eggs) where he puts a pair in a tank filled with a moss substrate for 2-3 days and then removes them…

For Kerri Tetras I've just laid down a super heavy layer of live sphagnum moss.  Enough eggs get lost in there that the parents don't eat them. In fact, I have never seen them go into the moss to even look. I keep a small group of breeders in there for 3 days max.

I don't ever see the eggs, or the fry for like the first week or two. They are very tiny and good at hiding in the moss. After you've done this a few times you begin to gain confidence that you've spawned fry. I just had to suspend disbelief for a week or two, knowing they were in there.

For other egg scatterers, I generally use a false bottom made from some kind of mesh. I'll put a few clumps of java moss or java fern in there to give the fish a place to put their eggs, if they need it.

CPD's might be different than what's I've bred.  But I would guess the concepts are adaptable. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1