High nitrates, can Matrix help?

FishyJames

Anybody have luck with seachem matrix in helping lower nitrates?  I'm having to change water weekly to get it below 100 and I'm getting tired of it. Sorry to admit that the maintenance is making the work to enjoyment ratio hard to swallow.   

I have a 29 gallon with eco complete using an undergravel filter.

I have 3 good sized swords and black beard algea growing..

I was hoping Matrix might help, any experience or other solutions that don't involve more water changes?

On 10/1/2023 at 12:19 PM, FishyJames said:

I have a 29 gallon with eco complete using an undergravel filter.

sometimes eco complete will leech.

I have 3 good sized swords and black beard algea growing..

Generally, very slow growing plants.  I would suggest turning the light down slightly and tab the swords if you need to.  It might just be a matter of needing to check stocking / filtration, and to change a bunch of water.  You don't want nitrates that high. 

I was hoping Matrix might help, any experience or other solutions that don't involve more water changes?

Add a HoB with a prefilter, fine pad, carbon, and media.  (aqueon has some really cheap ones that make that task really easy.  Just get a bag of ceramics and go from there.  The issue is.... you already have nitrates.  Matrix helps get you from ammonia ---> Nitrate.  It won't remove nitrates.

I think you need to look at removing the waste from the substrate and a few really strong gravel vac sessions.

Edited by nabokovfan87

High levels of nitrates can affect fish's swim bladders weaken there immune system reduced appetite cause lethargy loss of colour adding quick growing plants such as hornwort or Elodea and floating plants such as water lettuce Amazonian frogbit red root floaters  to help remove some of your excess nitrates coupled with increased water changes  is the best way to reduce your Nitrate is your tank over stock are you over feeding are there excessive nitrates in your tap water all thing to look at  @FishyJames

Edited by Colu

I don’t think matrix makes a significant difference.  I’ve used it but didn’t notice any difference in nitrates.  Fast growing plants are the best way to knock down nitrates in my experience- do you have ability to add any?