So I just ran out of water conditioner and need to do a water change. What are my options here?

cr0wley

Hi there, broke as hell until next week and noticed an ammonia spike in one of my tanks. Normally I use Prime or Aqua Essentials for wcs, but all I've got available currently is an RO system. Can I use the RO water warmed to room temp for this emergency? I tested the RO with chlorine strips, was showing 0 chlorine.

Here's the water source parameter page for the city, it looks like it only lists chlorine and not chloramine. Am I correct in assuming that as long as I aerate/evaporate the chlorine out, I should be good?

Untitled.png

Edited by cr0wley

I've never used RO water but my understanding is that it often needs minerals adding, obvious we are working with what you have here so I would suggest doing minimal water changes just to manage the spike rather than a large change to prevent your parameters going all over the place.  

Hopefully people who you use RO normally will chime in soon

Cheap bottled drinking water is often recommended

• Like 1

RO water is nothing but pure water. I use it for equipment that would otherwise require regular cleaning to remove mineral buildup.  As @Flumpweesel said, bottled drinking water could be used.  You could also age your tapwater for a few days with an air stone  or boil it for 20 minutes.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/does-letting-water-sit-remove-chlorine#:~:text=If you are sure your,water for 15-20 minutes.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 9:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m sorry you are having issues. Boiling water at a rapid boil for 15 minutes will remove the chlorine. I would do 30 minutes just to be safe. 

On 9/16/2023 at 8:50 AM, TOtrees said:

What size tank are you having problems with? How high is ammonia?

Asking so I can get a sense of how much water needs changing, which would affect what path I choose or recommend. 

On 9/16/2023 at 8:38 AM, Tanked said:

RO water is nothing but pure water. I use it for equipment that would otherwise require regular cleaning to remove mineral buildup.  As @Flumpweesel said, bottled drinking water could be used.  You could also age your tapwater for a few days with an air stone  or boil it for 20 minutes.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/does-letting-water-sit-remove-chlorine#:~:text=If you are sure your,water for 15-20 minutes.

On 9/16/2023 at 7:57 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I've never used RO water but my understanding is that it often needs minerals adding, obvious we are working with what you have here so I would suggest doing minimal water changes just to manage the spike rather than a large change to prevent your parameters going all over the place.  

Hopefully people who you use RO normally will chime in soon

Cheap bottled drinking water is often recommended

Hey there, thanks to everyone that chimed in, I ended up doing a small 15% wc in my 5 gallon tank with the RO water until a local pet shop opened up, scrounged up some car change and grabbed a tiny bottle of Prime. Crisis averted.....for now.

• Like 4

I know you solved issue at hand but keep in mind that if you look to do pure RO in the future it will not have chlorine but it can change your PH.  How much it changes will depend on your current water makeup but big ph swings can kill your fish if they are large enough.

On 9/18/2023 at 6:46 AM, _Eric_ said:

I know you solved issue at hand but keep in mind that if you look to do pure RO in the future it will not have chlorine but it can change your PH.  How much it changes will depend on your current water makeup but big ph swings can kill your fish if they are large enough.

Yup, I understand that, was only using it because of the emergency on hand. I use tap water with prime, and added crushed coral, as adf's like higher PH.

• Like 1