Can bladder snails or ramshorn snails actually self fertilize and breed alone?

Lennie

Hey guys,

So, interestingly I had two hitchikers with plants in different tanks which I dont mind at all. One is a ramshorn snail. Has a dark red/brown color to it. The other one is a bladder snail. And yes, I got only two, one of each. Im sure because they are with me for a couple months by now.

They are easily adult size for a some time. Has easy access to food because I feed mystery snails in those tanks. 

But...

they never breed. I keep reading they can self fertilize and breed this way. But they don't. Pretty sure if I had two at this point, I would start having babies. But Im never seein any babies ever. Why is that? Do they need a partner even if they are hermaphrodites? Some say you need two, some say you need only one to self fertilize? I'm confused.

If it is a chance, why don't they self fertilize and make babies when they can reach food easily? @Biotope Biologist any ideas?

I keep reading conflicting comments on this one. Id like my ramshorn to have babies. I dont really care if bladder snail breeds or not tbh.

I dont think guppies eat their eggs, because I have miniramshorns in other two guppy tanks that continue their population 🤔

Thanks for the help,

Lennie

11 Beautiful Ramshorn Snail Colors (With Pictures!) - The Aquarium Keeper

• Like 1

Yes bladder snails can reproduce alone. If they do not have a partner they will self fertilize. 

I found 1 gold bladder snail in a tank. I really liked the color so I set up a little tank and moved it to a 2.5g tank alone.  It took a good 8-10 weeks before I saw a few more. After that it was game on with them increasing in numbers. 

I believe ramshorn are the same. 

• Like 4

On 9/8/2023 at 1:57 PM, Guppysnail said:

Yes bladder snails can reproduce alone. If they do not have a partner they will self fertilize. 

I found 1 gold bladder snail in a tank. I really liked the color so I set up a little tank and moved it to a 2.5g tank alone.  It took a good 8-10 weeks before I saw a few more. After that it was game on with them increasing in numbers. 

I believe ramshorn are the same. 

I kinda hope so. I want baby ramshorns 🙂 and mini ramshorns are too small for my liking

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 11:21 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

I've got gobs of bladder snails, and some mini ramshorns, and some unknown quantity of Malaysian trumpet snails living in the substrate. But I've only had one (regular sized) ramshorn, for going on months now. So that fits with your observations, @Lennie, and with @Tanked .

I moved my ramshorn to my rabbit snail tank. Getting food or veggies daily. I guess it wont breed but I love it, so adorable

• Love 1

Actually, Ramshorn Smails are hermaphroditic. They can reproduce asexually, according to several articles on the internet. Here is a screenshot of 1

IMG_1521.jpeg
https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/ramshorn-snail/#:~:text=Snails Reproduce Asexually%3F-,Ramshorn Snails are hermaphroditic.,can%2C and do reproduce asexually.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2023 at 7:35 PM, FLFishChik said:

Actually, Ramshorn Smails are hermaphroditic. They can reproduce asexually, according to several articles on the internet. Here is a screenshot of 1

IMG_1521.jpeg
https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/ramshorn-snail/#:~:text=Snails Reproduce Asexually%3F-,Ramshorn Snails are hermaphroditic.,can%2C and do reproduce asexually.

Thanks for sharing.

Ive seen these stuff. I know they are hermaphrodites, but not sure it means they can definitely self fertilise.

I bet people rarely have one ramshorn egg that hatch their tank and end up keeping them, just like my case. Bcoz snails can store sperm for a long time and even if one get a snail from somewhere, it is very likely that one has mated with another. The only occasion to know they have never mated is like mine, having a single snail hatch as an egg and kept as only one its whole life I believe.

The thing is, water parameters are perfect for snails. I feed them snellos, blanched veggies, calcium foods etc. Always have access to some algae/diatom. Anything that would trigger a healthy breeding for a "pest snail".  I can't see any reason why it wouldn't breed if it can self fertilise