What is your wow proud hobby moment?

Guppysnail

I’m so excited today. I know other hobbyists get the same when good things happen. Our hobby should make us feel good about what we achieve. 

What is your WOW PROUD hobby moment. It could be your first tank finally holding stable, a sump successfully completed, a plant growing well, a rare fish breeding or even just that day you look at your tank and feel great about your accomplishment. Share so we can celebrate with you. 

My wow today was a surprise. My 40B is my retirement catfish tank. After I’ve bred each thing they go in here to just enjoy life. 
To date the most surviving fry in one tank was 3 types of fish plus shrimp. 
Today I successfully have 4 types plus shrimp surviving that are large enough not to get eaten. 
My longfin lemon blue eyed plecos I take their eggs because I’ve grown tired of being overrun with pleco babies. Apparently I missed a few last time. I have 5-6 of these cute kids in there. 5F80FAA4-90EC-473B-A228-97820DA42ECA.jpeg.b39690e26cead3d61536a659405ed9f8.jpeg
My melini (bandit) cory fry are starting to peak out of the plant edges. I’ve seen 6 at once but I really don’t know how many are hiding. F2A7F93A-76F5-4527-9EDF-F93171356657.jpeg.f14d7f36d12228655f1a033464871cd2.jpeg
My Pygmy cory fry I only see when I move the moss nursery to vacuum so no photos.  At least 5-6 in there. 
I always see CPD new hatched fry clinging to the walls or learning to swim. They never survive unless I pull them the parents eat them. 
Today I was looking at the string algae and saw 10-15 CPD fry scooting about large enough to not get eaten 🥰

It makes me feel so proud that I created an environment where every fish in the tank has babies thriving and a thriving neocaridina population. 

Looking forward to reading your WOW PROUD moments 🤗

EF71C679-440F-48C0-82D8-DFB5AD079D8A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 7

On 9/5/2023 at 12:27 PM, Root said:

The one for me lately is an Anubias Barteri I got that had three leaves. I placed it in a 20 tall and it now has over a dozen leaves and is a couple of inches from growing out of the water and this thing is attached to driftwood on the bottom of my tank! 

That is an accomplishment!  I would love to see photos if that beauty. 

On 9/5/2023 at 11:29 AM, Guppysnail said:

That is an accomplishment!  I would love to see photos if that beauty. 

Absolutely. I will take a pic when I get home, but here it is when I first got it. Correction it had 4 leaves after looking at the picture 😝IMG_5315.png.c0390e9598b13a09ac6b7e5a10307f39.png

• Love 2

Back before I appreciated how few have done it, I raised a few amano babies through salt and back to fresh. I was barely a year into the hobby, but carry a fairly decent biology/ecology toolkit. Tried to replicate my early win but wasn’t able. It’s my “want to get back to it one day” project.  

• Like 2
  • Love 4

On 9/5/2023 at 7:44 PM, TOtrees said:

Back before I appreciated how few have done it, I raised a few amano babies through salt and back to fresh. I was barely a year into the hobby, but carry a fairly decent biology/ecology toolkit. Tried to replicate my early win but wasn’t able. It’s my “want to get back to it one day” project.  

That is seriously cool. Especially doing it for the first time. I’m sure you will recreate your success. I’m looking forward to hearing about it one day. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 12:16 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m so excited today. I know other hobbyists get the same when good things happen. Our hobby should make us feel good about what we achieve. 

What is your WOW PROUD hobby moment. It could be your first tank finally holding stable, a sump successfully completed, a plant growing well, a rare fish breeding or even just that day you look at your tank and feel great about your accomplishment. Share so we can celebrate with you. 

My wow today was a surprise. My 40B is my retirement catfish tank. After I’ve bred each thing they go in here to just enjoy life. 
To date the most surviving fry in one tank was 3 types of fish plus shrimp. 
Today I successfully have 4 types plus shrimp surviving that are large enough not to get eaten. 
My longfin lemon blue eyed plecos I take their eggs because I’ve grown tired of being overrun with pleco babies. Apparently I missed a few last time. I have 5-6 of these cute kids in there. 5F80FAA4-90EC-473B-A228-97820DA42ECA.jpeg.b39690e26cead3d61536a659405ed9f8.jpeg
My melini (bandit) cory fry are starting to peak out of the plant edges. I’ve seen 6 at once but I really don’t know how many are hiding. F2A7F93A-76F5-4527-9EDF-F93171356657.jpeg.f14d7f36d12228655f1a033464871cd2.jpeg
My Pygmy cory fry I only see when I move the moss nursery to vacuum so no photos.  At least 5-6 in there. 
I always see CPD new hatched fry clinging to the walls or learning to swim. They never survive unless I pull them the parents eat them. 
Today I was looking at the string algae and saw 10-15 CPD fry scooting about large enough to not get eaten 🥰

It makes me feel so proud that I created an environment where every fish in the tank has babies thriving and a thriving neocaridina population. 

Looking forward to reading your WOW PROUD moments 🤗

EF71C679-440F-48C0-82D8-DFB5AD079D8A.jpeg

You should be proud, Guppysnail! So much life and such a beauty of a tank, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 11:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Getting plants to pearl.... like once. Maybe a few times. 🙂

I remember the first time I saw this. It was a throw together CPD hatch tank with hornwort and a hydroponics grow light I had laying around. I spent forever just watching, I could not believe I was seeing it in my tank since I am NOT an aquascaper. Sadly that’s about the only time I’ve ever seen it IRL. 🤣

• Haha 1

My most recent was when my L519’s bred.  They aren’t really that rare but uncommon enough it felt really good to see eggs, then babies.  And now new babies are out of the cave and so dispersed I have no idea how many there are.  😆 I haven’t even gotten a pic of the new babies, yet.  I’m also really proud of the 3 G shrimp tank.  For whatever reason, it’s a champ at growing the needle leaf Java fern and I’ve recently had to do a massive thinning it was so dense.  I also trimmed off 3 big pieces of Anubias nana ‘Petite’ and trimmed it into 6 pieces that are going to get glued onto wood pieces for my plecos in the 75 G.  I may have to glue and tie with those tank inhabitants but I’m going to try just gluing.  First pic is the older babies, next pic after thinning and trimming, next pic after gluing about 60 million bits of fern, and the trimmings before the gluing including the 3 pieces of Anubias that are now 6 and waiting for wood that’s getting soaked now and will get slate attached sometime this week.  I think they’ll look great once done.

IMG_5179.jpeg

IMG_5197.jpeg

IMG_5193.jpeg

IMG_5191.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 9/6/2023 at 9:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

@Odd Duck those after trimming pics are incredible. That most certainly is something to be proud of. 
Those ancistrus babies must have made your heart sing for sure 🥰

I really like how this little tank is working out.  I think I’m going to have to cut back the light a bit since it’s starting to grow some algae.  I’ve been fertilizing a bit more because the Anubias leaves aren’t as robust looking as they should be and the lights have been on continuous.  😆  Not a shock it’s decided to grow some algae.  It’s quite a charming little tank and I barely notice the crazy neon silicone anymore.  😝 

I spend more time counting pleco babies than I should! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/6/2023 at 2:57 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Breeding bettas & danios in the same week. 
Best week ever! 

Did you attach it to a stick going up like a / ?

No, I just sat it near the drift wood and it eventually grabbed on. 

• Like 2