Coop Heaters Flashing EL

Cheryl P.

First, let me say that I understand that the EL means End of Life and that's just an indication that the heater has been in use for a year and doesn't mean that the heater is malfunctioning. 

So I've reached a point that a couple of the OG Coop heaters are starting to flash EL.  The heaters are still working and I'm not particularly worried about them but the flashing is kind of annoying. 

Has anyone come up with creative ideas on muting the display? I could just turn the heaters around, but then I couldn't see the temps.

• Like 1

I placed  mine on the side of the tank instead of the back then put plants there. I use inkbird controls as a safety off. On a day to day basis the heater display is not useful to me. If I need to increase or decrease it’s a few minutes with my hand wet to turn it so I can see it. 

• Like 1

I'm trying, with mixed results, to hide the heaters with plants and hardscape, which is something is probably want to do whether they had LED displays or not. Though that does make it hard to read them, as you, @Cheryl P. point out.

It would be nice if the next generation had an on/off toggle for the display, but that might be a cost-prohibitive sort of feature.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 7:53 AM, Matt B said:

Does anyone have any pics or videos of what this looks like? My heaters haven't started doing it yet and I'm all ready thinking of ways to hide it. :classic_rolleyes:  I just know it will be irritating to me. :classic_laugh:.   Is it something that can be covered up? 

Here’s a photo, but it will flas between “EL” and the Temperature 

IMG_1507.jpeg

• Thanks 1