Non-pet animal photos and videos

Ninjoma

On 9/22/2023 at 10:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

Looks like a caddis fly larva.  I think there’s a couple species that have terrestrial larvae, but most have aquatic larvae.

And they collect the sticks or whatever debris is handy to where they live and stick them to a sort of cocoon they build around themselves.

Very interesting. A neighbor said it could be a bagworm too; not sure?  

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 10/7/2023 at 10:14 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Guys- whoa. The bagworm is moving. It has travelled several branches over, every few days. Today was the first time I caught a glimpse of how that happens.

That thing is starting to creep me out *shudders*

• Haha 1

We seem to have added two more shop cats.  The Calico will bolt when she sees us, but the kitten is becoming calm enough for some of us to touch and occassionally feed.  The Daytime score now is 1 official shop cat, 3 strays,  and potentially a baby opossum.

2newcat.jpg

Ghost cart.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/8/2023 at 2:15 PM, Tanked said:

We seem to have added two more shop cats.  The Calico will bolt when she sees us, 

That’s so good that they can come for a meal! Thank you!

There was a stray who had kittens under the neighbor’s gazebo. She’d been eating the dog food I was putting out for the crows so I started giving her some of my cats’ food too. You know what that means once you start feeding them! 🤪

She had three kittens, two calicos and a tortoiseshell. One was way friendly and I found a home for her when she was old enough. The other two disappeared whenever anyone was around. The mother must have been a housecat because she was friendly. I had two spayed, someone else here paid for the other one, but we haven’t been able to find homes for them. Other than living in a chicken shed down the road (plenty of hay) they’re happy. They eat well here as another apartment dweller helps keep them fed and they get all kinds of attention. They love it now, so don’t give up on the calico! 😃(Two years old now, mamá about four.)We’re only allowed two cats at this apartment and I already have two rescues.

This was first year outside my apartment enjoying sunshine & waiting for dinner.

IMG_0815.jpeg.605c7565cb3e1454a5cbd069decebc3c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Blackie, the official  shop cat has a fully insulated condo with w/w carpet and central heat.  When winter arrives we are wondering if she will allow a roommate. The kitten is the only viable candidate.  Blackie has always been timid, and the kitten is the only one that won't cause her to leave.  None of these cats are pets,  It took me almost a year or more to partially domesticate Blackie.  At the present rate, the kitten might get close by the end of the month. A piece of lunchmeat in my pocket has magical powers.

• Like 2

IMG_0984.jpeg.53dd2bd503abea13af525ee0f3155d17.jpeg

Four baby skunks came by everyday for their share of crunchies. They’ve gone off now. The outdoor cats didn’t pay much attention to them. If they got too close, the skunks just made this strange sort of chittering sound, hard to describe. They were really cute!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea that is wonderful you got the video of the woodpecker!

A couple of weeks ago when it was still warm enough to have the windows open, I heard very loud bird calls. I was almost positive it was a woodpecker but wasn’t sure it being so loud, I figured it must’ve been very big.

So I watched and hoped it would come into sight and it did - it was one of those pileated woodpeckers. First time I’d ever seen one and had to look it up. I also found out it was the kind that Woody Woodpecker was based on. 🤪 (How many of us remember that cartoon? 🤣)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/21/2023 at 10:42 AM, Pokey said:

So I watched and hoped it would come into sight and it did - it was one of those pileated woodpeckers. First time I’d ever seen one and had to look it up. I also found out it was the kind that Woody Woodpecker was based on. 🤪 (How many of us remember that cartoon? 🤣)

I definitely remember Woody.  What part of the world do you live in?  I read your post the same day I read about the possible extinction (again) of the Lord God Bird, aka The Ivory Billed Woodpecker.  If you live in the southern US, that would be quite a find.

• Like 2