Stocking ideas for 40 breeder

Eden

Hi. I'm Eden.  

I'm new to this forum, and it was recommend by those who work at Aquariumcoop because I had so many questions, but I'm not sure how to use it or how to ask questions.  So here's my second attempt and I'm sure I'll learn.  😅

I added a picture of my 40 breeder before I redecorated it, but the basics of the look are the same. I just bought more plants from them!

I have: 12 cardinal tetras, 6 rummy nose tetras, 2 tiger plecos, one longfinned bristlenose Pleco, one betta, 8 rasbora, 6 stirby corys, and 4 snails.

I have no idea how many fish I can still add.  It still looks a bit empty to me. 

Here are all my questions. 

One: I want plecos because that's my favorite.  I love them! How many is too much in a 40 breeder if they are 4 to 5 inches as adults?  I'm looking for at least one or two more fancy ones. 

Two: I'm looking for a top water fish.  Maybe hatchet fish.  It's my classroom tank and the kids love the crazy new things.  

Three: I like to mix and match things and was wondering if throwing a live bearer in the mix was too much, or maybe an African dwarf frog.  

I want to do right by the fish while also having an amazing tank for my classroom?  Help please.  

Thanks

- Eden

20200912_200713.jpg

Welcome to the forum! 

As for the fish questions, when you say tiger pleco, are they the L333 king tiger plecos? They for one prefer their water on the warmer side, like 82-84, which a lot of fish can handle those temps, especially the cardinal and rummynose tetras that you already have. I prefer to keep one type of pleco in a tank, but you can certainly mix them up if you like. You will just want to make sure that they all prefer similar water temps and make sure that you are feeding enough of the right kinds of food for them, as some like meaty foods vs algae. 

If you wanted something for more action in the tank, rummynose are excellent schooling fish, if you got some more of them would work. the hatchet fish would also be excellent for the top of the water column, just make sure you have a lid on the tank!

• Like 1

Thank you @Andy's Fish Den! 

That was so helpful.  And yes, you're right which Plecos I have.  I don't know the numbering system yet.  My 4th graders love them.  I have Tony and Tigger (the baby) and the kids get so excited when we feed them at lunch.  They'll say, "look! Tony's out." 🤣 😂

How many is overstocking though?  I don't know how many I can ask for.  I dont want to overstock my tank.  It's been balanced for months now, and I add bacteria when I add more fish. I just don't want to throw the balance off by adding too many because I didn't know how many fish I could have in my 40 gallon.  

Thanks again.  So helpful! 

Edited by Eden

2 hours ago, Eden said:

Thank you @Andy's Fish Den! 

That was so helpful.  And yes, you're right which Plecos I have.  I don't know the numbering system yet.  My 4th graders love them.  I have Tony and Tigger (the baby) and the kids get so excited when we feed them at lunch.  They'll say, "look! Tony's out." 🤣 😂

How many is overstocking though?  I don't know how many I can ask for.  I dont want to overstock my tank.  It's been balanced for months now, and I add bacteria when I add more fish. I just don't want to throw the balance off by adding too many because I didn't know how many fish I could have in my 40 gallon.  

Thanks again.  So helpful! 

With everything else in the tank I would say you could add another one of the L333 if you'd like. As far as the other fish, if you were thinking of adding more cardinal or rummynose tetras you could add several, if it was me, I would add another 6-8 of the rummynose to go with what you have in the tank and they will all school together nicely. If you go with some hatchet fish for the top, I would add at least 6 of them or maybe even a few more than that as they like to be in groups as well. As long as you don't go adding a lot of fish at once, you will be fine. I'd add like a pleco then wait a week or two then add some tetras or hatchets. 

• Like 1

@Paul Do you have a better suggestion for a top water fish instead?  I have a glass lid from aquarium coop and it's really nice so I'm not worried about anything getting out.  I would like to hear your suggestion though.  🙂

1 hour ago, Eden said:

@Paul Do you have a better suggestion for a top water fish instead?  I have a glass lid from aquarium coop and it's really nice so I'm not worried about anything getting out.  I would like to hear your suggestion though.  🙂

No I don’t. You’ve got a good mix in that tank already. Add more of the tetras and Rasboras .

• Like 1

Do you and/or your children want weird and wacky oddball fish? Some may come with extra care requirements.

African butterfly fish will stay at the top of the tank. These oddballs are insectivores, and while some people have had luck getting them onto floating pellets, most find that they want live crickets and mealworms and any other insect that happens to touch or get close to the surface. They are excellent jumpers, so a well fitting lid is a must, as well as a willingness to feed live bugs for however long it takes to get them switched to pellets - some never do. I have had two over the years, one switched within three months, the other lived her four years with me never touching a pellet.

Farlowella catfish - a type of specialized pleco, these are also commonly called twig catfish. Depending upon species, they are 6-8" as adults, but quite skinny (like a twig) and much like most other plecos, not super active. They are also algae grazing omnivores. 

Less crazy suggestions:

Flash pleco (5"), Snowball pleco (6"), Blue phantom pleco(7") or Green phantom pleco(7"). 

I'd only suggest one more pleco. You already have three and while a 40 breeder is a good floor space, my concern is how many of your plecos are males. Are they at an age/size that you can tell which genders you have? Male plecos tend to get territorial when mature, and while it seems statistically unlikely, having three (or even two of the same species) male plecos in a tank this size could lead to some sparring. I'd  personally want to know the genders of your current plecos before considering adding more to the mix.

• Like 1

@Nataku

That WAS such great advice! Thank you! Unfortunately no.  I wouldn't know how to sex the king tiger Pleco, the bristlenose is too young, and my newest Pleco is a tiny tiny little one (my second tiger Pleco.) I have 4 caves to give them plenty of their own space and the bristlenose doesn't seem to care.  He just hangs out on my spider wood. 

Do you still think only one more is a good idea because I won't be able to sex them ever.  I love them but I wouldn't ever be able to tell until I'd had them for a long time.  I'm at 6 plus months with this tank.  🙂 I want to get 2 more if possible, but if I should only get one I'll always do right by my fish and wait a few years until I can get a second bigger tank.  I don't have the option for another one where I'm at.  😭

Thank you guys! This has been so encouraging.  I was hearing about getting into fish clubs and those things but I wouldn't even know how to find one and this has been a great experience already.  Thanks so much! 

- Eden

Hi. 

I was planning on waiting to go, but I want to go tomorrow after a stressful week. I need some fishy time. 🤣

Here is my tentative list. I know Robert wants us to have a list before going into the store. 

I was thinking of getting a fancy pleco. (If I can get 2 I may get a second bristlenose and stop there.) 

If I can get only one I was thinking a school of kuli loaches. 

(I already have 6 stirbai Corys. should I get more or those or can I get albino corys? They would go great with my black background and substrate.)

4 more cardinal tetras

4 more rasboras

and 3 to 6 more rummy nose.

I want to get those crazy fish you mentioned, but I want to wait on the harder fish when I'm more experienced. I wish I would have talked to you all before I bought my fish. There were great ideas! 

I have live bacteria to add to the tank, but is this too much to add to the tank at one time? I would love some suggestions on making my list ready to go for tomorrow. 

Thank you! 

-Eden

Ps. Attached is a current picture of my tank. 🙂 

Mine.jpg

I would only suggest one more. As much as they are young and small now, they will get considerably bigger. Its important for us as their caretakers to bear in mind their adult sizes and whether they will still have enough space in a given tank at that size. Four plecos allows them to each roughly claim a corner (although 'even' is not a concept most fish understand) and will hopefully provide them all space to get away from each other if they decide to be territorial boys.

If you do get a second bristlenose, see if Robert has any in stock that are large enough to sex, and get a girl if you can. Least chance of territorial sparring that way regardless of what gender your other bristlenose ends up being.

Okay so probable stocking list after this next trip is looking like

16 cardinal tetra

9-12 rummynose tetra

12 rasboras

4 plecos

4 snails

6 sterbai corydoras - its usually best to stick to the same species of corydoras so they can all school together. Albino corydoras are c. Aeneus, the bronze corydoras. You'd  want at least 6 of them so they could have their own school. But be aware that floor space may be at a premium in your tank because you already have sterbai and multiple plecos. Personally I'd just take the sterbai school up to 10. Likewise, kuhli loaches are another bottom dweller, and out of plecos and corydoras they will be the absolute bottom of the pecking order because they are totally non combative. Unless you have a very large number of them, you will likely never see them as they can  be extremely reclusive. Your tank also doesn't have enough low cover for them to feel safe enough to really venture out. Kuhlis exist in this weird conundrum where the more places to hide they have, the more they venture out to be seen. With the pleco caves around your tank, but not much in the way of low plant cover, they would dart into a pleco cave and you'd never see them again. I figure you and your students want to have fish you can actually see.

I would consider that a pretty fully stocked 40 breeder. Perhaps others will weigh in with opinions. 

Also, picture shows a betta, is there still a betta in this tank? Because depending upon the individual betta's personality, you may or may not run into issues with him and your small schoolers (tetras and rasbora).

Also, while you're in the store, see if they have any floating plants in stock. Your water wisteria/water sprite will fill in more, but one reason your schooling fish probably aren't up near the top right now is because they don't feel they have cover (the other reason would be the betta claiming the top of the tank as his). If they have something in stock like red root floaters, dwarf salvinia, frogbit or maybe even dwarf water lettuce, I'd consider picking that up and adding it to the tank. A little bit of surface cover often encourage fish to school closer to the surface when they feel they have protection.

• Like 1

@Nataku

That was amazing advice!!! Thank you so much!! 

I will be taking all of that advice.  

I also appreciate everyone else that gave great advice!! 

I do have water lettuce now, and yes, The betta will be in there until January.  He will go in a smaller tank that the students will help me put together.  Ill teach them how to cycle it and take care of it.  Then he will go home with a lucky student at the end of the year.  

My fourth grade winner last year got Casper the platinum crown tail.  He was bright white with black eyes.  

It's been a way for me to keep the fish hobby alive! 😊

• Like 2

@Eden this is my 40 breeder. It’s stocked with Panda Corys, Kribs, Von Rio Tetras, and Brilliant Rasboras. There’s lots of movement  throughout the tank and all the species are very hardy.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Eden said:

@Nataku

This is Tony. My 1st tiger pleco I've had him for 4 months. I can’t sex him. Can you? 

8ADCFF1E-2AA7-4003-8A79-3997CA78CD54.jpeg

Eden, Tony is a wonderful pleco! Good color!

If you'd like me to take a shot at sexing them via pictures please get clear shots of their underside when they are up on the glass. Both full body and as close as you can zoom to his ventral area.

Underside shots like this and the circled area is the ventral area:

IMG_20201113_200022_768.jpg.e5168022ada49bd641cb9862e859de34.jpg

Edited by Nataku
spelling? Who does that?
  • Like 1

@Nataku

Thank you so much.

I went to the store yesterday and the plants came too.  I might need to do some arranging because I'm not sure I like where I have the planters. I might just keep one and take the other out.  Otherwise the fish look amazing.