Show me in pictures how hot it is in your area.

Odd Duck

On 7/29/2023 at 4:41 PM, Odd Duck said:

Water change trying to trigger cories to breed.

How far below air do you go for this?  I have tried it a lot, but never found the magic range for my schultzei's.

2 AM right now, just below 80 degrees.  The chart says 74 but it's a bit warmer.

image.png.134a6c009f0fba8837e0e59cd020d410.png

I haven't got any pictures, but the windowsill Duckweed tray is loosing an inch or more water a day.  Everything looks dry, and the patio ponds are down by several inches even with the thunderstorms we've been having almost daily.  Right now it is a pleasant 85 degrees.

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea  The local papers just did a piece on "hot tub" temperatures in the Florida keys and its effect on the corals.  I can't wait to go in to work tomorrow so the folks I (somewhat lovingly) refer to the conspiracy twins can tell me that this happens all the time.

• Haha 2

On 7/30/2023 at 3:56 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

How far below air do you go for this?

I try for at least 2-3 degree drop but would prefer at least 5 degrees below the water temp in the tank.  I don’t think it’s necessary for the entire tank temp to drop that much but the cool, fresh water running into the tank has usually been enough.  I’ve been seeing breeding behavior in all the cories, but I don’t see eggs, yet.  This time of year it’s tough because we aren’t getting many pressure fronts come through and it can be hard to time them with water changes due to work schedule.  The timing doesn’t have to be perfect, your cool water change can be a day or so after the pressure change and still work for most species.  I haven’t yet gotten eggs from the lasers or the sterbais, so success is still pending.  They are acting ready, especially the sterbais.  The lasers I’m less sure about them being ready based on body shape - I’m not seeing girls fat with eggs.  I might need to build my group up even more.

I’m having bronzes and trilineatus juvies randomly appear in the tank but I haven’t collected eggs from that tank lately.  If I could be sure I was getting only or mostly trilineatus eggs, I would collect them!  They seem to lay more randomly on the plants where they’re much harder to find but the bronzes lay mostly on the glass and are easy to collect.

I’ve read that some species are much more difficult to trigger breeding behavior and egg laying but a rush of cool water, especially associated with a pressure change, is considered to be the most likely trigger once the fish are in breeding condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still trying to do the water change on the big tank. Looks like we're using some ice today.

Screenshot_20230730-214802_1.png.0a6b3799fcf87ef0f9e47cda6ddf1cce.png

On 7/30/2023 at 9:42 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve read that some species are much more difficult to trigger breeding behavior and egg laying but a rush of cool water, especially associated with a pressure change, is considered to be the most likely trigger once the fish are in breeding condition.

I'm working on trying a new technique and spawning mop made out of a different material.

Hopefully something triggers them soon. From what I've found, when temp isn't the thing, the main priority is conditioning them well enough and long enough.

On 7/30/2023 at 3:57 AM, Lennie said:

I hate summer when I'm not on a holiday enjoying beach. The lowest is 37C here this week 😭

We’ve been in the 105-108’F (41-42’C) range for weeks on end with the very occasional dip into the high 90’s.  The only thing that prevents it from becoming insanely miserable (as opposed to just regular miserable) is the humidity is down around 37% since it’s been so hot for so long with very, very little rain.  My outside tub loses about an inch of water a day.  No fish in the tub this year, it heated up too much too soon.  I was late getting them in and then it was too late and way too hot.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

On 7/31/2023 at 7:51 AM, Odd Duck said:

We’ve been in the 105-108’F (41-42’C) range for weeks on end with the very occasional dip into the high 90’s.  The only thing that prevents it from becoming insanely miserable (as opposed to just regular miserable) is the humidity is down around 37% since it’s been so hot for so long with very, very little rain.  My outside tub loses about an inch of water a day.  No fish in the tub this year, it heated up too much too soon.  I was late getting them in and then it was too late and way too hot.

Sounds awful. This week is a lil better here somehow, but we had the same situation before this one 😭 
Take care of yourself Duck. And Don’t forget to use your sunscreen

let’s go swimming sometime, shall we? 🤪 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 12:01 AM, Lennie said:

Sounds awful. This week is a lil better here somehow, but we had the same situation before this one 😭 
Take care of yourself Duck. And Don’t forget to use your sunscreen

let’s go swimming sometime, shall we? 🤪 

I don’t get a lot of sun these days.  I got a bit today, but it’s waaaaayyy too hot to stay out there for long.  I definitely use the sunscreen if I’m out there for very long.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2023 at 2:29 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My husband’s coworker went for a walk on her lunch break yesterday and the soles of her (expensive) shoes melted. 😳

The amount of times my shoes melted walking home from school as a kid.... Ridiculous.

@dasaltemelosguy you're close! I used to work there.

Same weather and chance of thunderstorms and monsoon today.

This is the typical.... It's hot out reaction.

• Like 3