Awhile ago I got 2 orange female guppies and a male black guppy. The females both died soon after they gave birth. Now all my guppies are thriving but some of the younger guppies who I assume are female have no vibrant color, they are more of a yellowish browning dull color. I know it takes awhile for guppy fry to get color but they seem like they are almost full grown. So my question is will they ever get a more vibrant color? And if they don’t, what “color” or strain are they considered.

IMG_2896.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2903.jpeg

Edited by Maddiethemooch

On 7/23/2023 at 11:58 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Guppies continue to develop their color even after they are full grown. Some take up to 6 months to fully develop. They can give birth multiple times before they have full color even. 

Took my guppies quite a while to get all their color . Just dull grey fry all looking female in color ..

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:25 AM, Maddiethemooch said:

Awhile ago I got 2 orange female guppies and a male black guppy. The females both died soon after they gave birth. Now all my guppies are thriving but some of the younger guppies who I assume are female have no vibrant color, they are more of a yellowish browning dull color. I know it takes awhile for guppy fry to get color but they seem like they are almost full grown. So my question is will they ever get a more vibrant color? And if they don’t, what “color” or strain are they considered.

IMG_2896.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2903.jpeg

They are so cute tho :)

• Like 1

Many strains of guppies--and lots of "mutt" guppies-- have plain gray females or females with only a tiny bit of color on their tail and dorsal fins. The fact that they are plain Janes does not mean their male offspring will be any less colorful, though. Plain ladies can be packing a ton of color in their DNA.

That said, both male and female guppies can take 6+ months to fully develop their color. And some of my males have continued to develop color, spots, long tail fins etc., well past 9 months. 

Watching your guppies develop from plain gray fry to colorful adults is a lot of the fun of breeding mutt guppies. I hope you have fun with yours!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 7:34 AM, PineSong said:

The fact that they are plain Janes does not mean their male offspring will be any less colorful, though. Plain ladies can be packing a ton of color in their DNA.

Right ... My plain Jane fry turned into really colorful male . 

• Like 2