Rapid Onset MTS!

Hello from the middle of now where. Red Lake Ontario. (Google it...😉)  I started out less than 2 years ago wanting a betta in a glass vase for some indoor color in the winter....Looked up "how to care for a betta fish" on YouTube and down the rabbit hole I went.

@Coryyour nitrogen cycle video with the m&m's was invaluable!!

I now have 4 planted tanks. (2 x 10 gal, 1 x 20 and 1x 29 gal). Working on acquiring more plants but because of my location it takes longer than usual for anything to get shipped here. Same goes for live stock....

My tanks are low tech except for my first attempt at DIY Co2. So far so good. I am addicted to houseplants so I am loving another way to do plants. 

I want all my tanks to be part of my living space so I may have to go up in size instead of number of tanks.

I am super proud of my Electric Blue Acara babies. I have some that are a few months old and a new batch of free swimming fry this week. 

Enjoy the pics....

Having trouble loading videos, and sorry about the glare

20230705_090009.jpg

20230705_085645.jpg

20230705_085916.jpg

20230705_111945.jpg

20230705_112006.jpg

20230705_112018.jpg

20230705_112042.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 7/5/2023 at 5:10 PM, TishWish said:

Hello from the middle of now where. Red Lake Ontario. (Google it...😉)  I started out less than 2 years ago wanting a betta in a glass vase for some indoor color in the winter....Looked up "how to care for a betta fish" on YouTube and down the rabbit hole I went.

That is awesome though!  I'm thankful in this day and age that it was this type of result and there was that rabbit hole to explore. 

On 7/5/2023 at 5:10 PM, TishWish said:

My tanks are low tech except for my first attempt at DIY Co2. So far so good. I am addicted to houseplants so I am loving another way to do plants. 

Ah, that's great!  @A3M0N has a really useful journal and setup that might be a fun one for you to check out!  Please be sure not to have any issues with the CO2 and the wall.  (I don't share this to scare you, but just to point to someone here that has a wonderful tank and is running a similar setup!)

Welcome to the forums, happy to have you here. 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 8:00 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

issues with the CO2 and the wall. 

Oh, please explain...

Or is it addressed in the journal you mentioned?

Oh, just found it.....thanks for the warning. Mine is waaaaayyyyyy more DIY than that even. 

Edited by TishWish
update info
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2023 at 6:30 PM, TishWish said:

Oh, just found it.....thanks for the warning. Mine is waaaaayyyyyy more DIY than that even. 

Yeah, there's a lot of different forms! 🙂

Pecktec has some videos, I've seen a few different setups using the DIY methods.  If it works, all good!

On 7/5/2023 at 8:30 PM, TishWish said:

Oh, please explain...

See what had happened was... 

The safety valve had worked in the past, not sure why it stuck that time. But yeah, I still thought about replacing it with another DIY setup then decided to keep it low tech for now. I may go with a paintball tank setup in the future, my little 10 gallon isn't big enough for the smallest normal CO2 tank, in my opinion. 

I used a yeast/sugar DIY system first, but I wouldn't go back to that one. If I did DIY again it would be another citric acid/baking soda setup. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 10:24 PM, A3M0N said:

used a yeast/sugar DIY system first, but I wouldn't go back to that one

That's what I'm using. What is the reason that you would not return to that type of system again?

So I have to ask... at 5+ hrs to Winnipeg and 6+ hours to Thunder Bay (followed your dare and googled it), how/where do you get fish? Does shipping/courier reach you up there reliably enough to get them that way? You're definitely in the wrong place to have MTS, but doing great despite that! 

On 7/6/2023 at 7:15 AM, TOtrees said:

how/where do you get fish?

Well, it is a challenge. If I travel anywhere in Canada, I try to research any LFS's in the area and bring home what I can. That's how I got my EB Acara's and my angel. But I lost a few others trying to fly them home in my luggage. (I wasn't prepared properly, that was on me).

I have a local pet store that has a very limited selection, although she did bring in some Congo Tetras that I happened to nab. I do travel to Kenora and Winnipeg for any decent shopping at all. I recently found a great LFS in Kenora which is 3 hours from here. I have a medical appt there on Monday so I will definitely be making a stop in at that LFS. I'm pretty sure that they will order in things for me as well.

I have not tried mail order livestock yet. I have done plants like that but they suffered for sure. I tell sellers up front that I take responsibility for DOA's because it takes at least 5-6 days for anything to ship here via Canada Post. Even if you pay for the express shipping. It is a price I pay for living in paradise!!  Thanks for asking!!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 11:41 PM, TishWish said:

That's what I'm using. What is the reason that you would not return to that type of system again?

It's just fiddly really, and my diffuser got gunked up with yeast quickly even when using a second bottle. I mean it worked pretty good, it made CO2 and the plants benefited but the process of making up a new bottle was a chore I didn't enjoy. The citric acid/baking soda system was also a chore, and cost more, but was more straight forward. 

Just my experience and opinion. I like to DIY stuff, do I did enjoy making it and seeing it work. 

• Like 1

@TishWish greetings from Divide Colorado a short 2,140 kilometers to your south/south-west. Nice to meet you. Electric Blue Acara babies ...awesome!  congrats on raising those. 

That google map of Red Lake Ontario makes me understand the shipping delays. I bet those winters are WINTERS up there. 

Im sure its already in the thread. If im doing a video I either make a GIF from the bigger video and post here or post the video to youtube and paste the link to it here. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:47 AM, A3M0N said:

It's just fiddly really, and my diffuser got gunked up with yeast quickly even when using a second bottle.

How about using a CO2 diffuser bell for example:

image.jpeg.7fe9afe191d399249613a793209214ee.jpeg

I made a custom lid using 1 in. x 6 in. x 8 ft. PVC Beaded Ceiling/Wall Board from Home Depot ($14). I was thinking about glueing a piece PVC pipe to act as a diffuser bell. Since yeast system produce very little CO2, does it make sense to use bubblers? I assume the yeast system produce less the optimal amount of CO2 so it make no sense in control the output. So just pump it into a bell with no air diffuser.