Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a albino betta for sale/owned one?

Lavender

So, while I have no plans to buy albino bettas in the future, due to the eye disorders and whatever, has anyone ever seen them? Just curious, since they aren’t common. And if you’ve owned them, are they any different than regular betta Splendens?

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 11:35 PM, Lavender said:

So, while I have no plans to buy albino bettas in the future, due to the eye disorders and whatever, has anyone ever seen them? Just curious, since they aren’t common. And if you’ve owned them, are they any different than regular betta Splendens?

Yes. I have seen a few for sale.

But first, a note on "albinism" in fish. There are multiple traits that, to an untrained observer, can be easily mislabeled together as "albino." In fish, a light / white coloration to the fins and body combined with a red-colored eye are characteristic...

Screenshot2023-06-25at3_02_01AM.png.59e848d23ed3def64f9c8dabb4b0eb30.png

There are many selectively bred leucistic Betta spelendens that are a lovely white, but lack true albinism...

leucisticBetta.webp.f7797574b95ebbb522f4ff8b308f7ea2.webp

If you do purchase some, they may appreciate a lower aquarium lighting intensity and shorter photo period.

I have never owned one (that I can recall). And, aside from the lighting, I am unaware or special needs.

• Like 2

Yes the big box stores will carry them and they do enjoy being kept dark. Otherwise just your typical betta they just lack any pigment.

leucistic ones tend not to have eye problems and ‘silver bettas’ seem to fetch a high price tag if they have good genetics.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
Colored pigment is redundant. Like chai tea or naan bread or atm machine
  • Like 2

I’m just curious. I’ve only ever seen them mentioned in passing, or once seen on a separate forum. I did earlier go to a pet store and see a black betta with red eyes…guess it reminded me to ask about stuff like this.