What is your preferred tank background method?

Dork Fish

I like window film. It's easy to apply and easy to remove if you change your mind. Most people just choose black, which I've done but I also like the clear patterns for more light and/or patterns for fun! It's not expensive and usually a roll will do at least 2 tanks (at least when you have nanos or 20 gallons)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pepere said:

I like rustoleum black paint.  It removes easily with a razor blade if you want later.  It holds up well to water dripping down on itunlike some other options.

2 coats brushed on.

a black background allows black filters, sponges, heaters etc to visually fade away.  Algae growing on glass with a black background is invisible.

I like spray paint as well.  But I use this:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-American-Accents-12-oz-Stone-Creations-Pebble-Textured-Finish-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-7995830/202057116

I've used it on a few tanks, but here is my latest build:  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

For my planned 75 gallon Mbuna tank, what I may try...

Take a 1/4" thick sheet of PVC (yes, I have a PVC fetish) and cover it with Gorilla glue (polyurethane glue). Pack moist sand (same sand for substrate) on the top of it and let the glue cure. The polyurethane glue will foam up creating an uneven texture depending on how much glue you put on. This will go on the inside of the tank. I will stack large rocks in front of the background.

My goal is to create a face face for the Mbunas. This idea needs some more prototyping 🙂

Gorilla glue is inert once it fully cured (a few weeks). 

• Thanks 1

So I got the Static Cling Glass Film applied and it went on great, now to see if it stays that way for the next couple weeks. Looks like it was painted on too, very happy with it so far. As a bonus it was only 10 USD, so easy and cheap. LOL

@anewbie Wow those tanks look great! I am definitely going to be heavily planting my tank as well, love the way that looks. 🙂

• Like 2