Best types of substrate for planted tanks and how to be cost effective with them

Dork Fish

So I know that there is no hard and fast rule on the topic of substrate, but I have seen a ton of conflicting info on the matter. Being that I am brand new to planted tanks, and fish keeping in general, it is difficult to know what information is good and what information should be ignored.

Here is my question: What are the best types of substrate for planted tanks? Are bio-substrate really worth the money? and how can someone be cost effective about acquiring substrate? (the stuff is expensive 0_0)

I.E. Do different plants prefer different substrates? Can any type of sand/soil work, or does it have to be a certain type of sand/soil? etc.

Any knowledge that y'all can help me attain is definitely appreciated 🙂

For a 75 gallon tank, you could always use organic potting mix capped with pool filter sand. The cap would have to be 2 inches at least. 

The only downside is the substrate can't be disturbed too much. Otherwise you'll have a mess. 

My 10 gallon has fluval stratum currently. I hate it. My tank has been most successful with aquasoil capped with pool filter sand.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 5:37 PM, Dork Fish said:

@Pepere That is good to know. I have been looking into what to use for my 75 gallon tank. Almost had a heart attack when I did the math for 2 inches of substrate 0_0

When I filled mine... the math was about 1/2-3/4" per bag.  When I filled the tank it was about that 1/2" depth.  This was with a big bag of the UNS contrasoil.  Feel free to compare that size / volume to other substrates. 

I would recommend something like 3 bags per 75G as a bare minimum.  How do you "fill the space"?  There's usually a few methods.

1.  You start the base with cheaper, substrate that is often of larger pore size like gravel or lava rock pieces.  (ada power sand is similar thing, but I believe it's pumice covered with nutrients)
2.  You can cap the soil with something cheaper to give you the depth you want, again, this is often a gravel or sand.
3.  There is different pore sizes for the soil.  Usually the base is the larger diameter, having a bag (for a 75 maybe two) of the fine substrate is probably going to be helpful if you want to have just a soil substrate only setup.  The fine substrate on the top ends up giving the plants a bit more of a "grip" for those fine root, carpeting style plants.

Another common tactic is similar to what @Pepere mentioned where you fill mesh bags with lava rock to avoid having to fill those spaces with soil.  Pecktec does this a lot on his videos as well as Asu on youtube.  This is also common in paludarium and terrarium builds.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:26 PM, Pepere said:

I actually put Aquasoil in the bags.  It dramatically reduces the amount of aquasoil needed.  Planting something next to thebag and the roots will grow right in.  

Yes, correct.  I was just mentioning the bags of rock thing as an alternate.  A lot of people do that as well to fill voids.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:24 PM, Dork Fish said:

@Pepere Wow! that is a nice planted tank!

@sairving Okay, I will have to price out aquasoil and 2-3 inches pool sand then for a 75 gallon 🙂

Is just plain sand and root tabs recommended? or should I avoid that approach?

Just plain organic potting soil. Look up dirted fish tanks.

On 6/20/2023 at 8:10 AM, Dork Fish said:

@sairving Ah okay, plain organic plotting soil and pool sand 🙂

That will work.  If you get a good quality pool filter sand (like from a swimming pool store instead of at a big box home improvement store) it shouldn't need any rinsing, and will still be more economical than sand or other substrate sold for aquariums.

If you want a darker substrate substitute Black Diamond sandblasting sand (available at Tractor Supply, and probably any place that sells welding supplies) for the pool filter sand.  It will need to be rinsed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another question regarding substrate.

For the base lava rock layer, is it okay to use lava rock found at a hardware store? or should it be specifically for aquariums?

In regards to the mesh bags or stockings use to find with lava rock: Do they need to be a certain material that won't break down over time, or no?

Asking because I couldn't find anything that mentioned negative affects of standard bulk lava rock for a hardware store.

@Pepere That is great, exactly what I was looking for.

Do you have a brand of lava rock that has served you well?

Asking, because it looks like a big pain to buy any old lava rock, then clean and sterilize the rock. I know that there are many different brands that are advertised as aquarium safe from the bag.

On 6/28/2023 at 3:12 AM, Dork Fish said:

Do you have a brand of lava rock that has served you well?

Ive used JBL Volcano Mineral under tropica aquasoil in two tanks. It works well for me.

I’ve also used crushed lava-rocks from my lfs which is way cheaper and still worked well to increase the background level. Plus it helps plant roots to grow better in my opinion. It is just the stuff these lava rocks may include might vary and ofc JBL one was feeling higher quality. But had to be cost effective as at this point I have way too many tanks

On 6/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, Dork Fish said:

For the base lava rock layer, is it okay to use lava rock found at a hardware store? or should it be specifically for aquariums?

Yes you can.  Most of the time BBQ rock is untreated and just lava rock crushed to a specific size.  As always, look for the "100% lava rock" and check all labels to verify it isn't treated with anything.  Secondarily you can also use pumice and do the same thing.  This is very likely what ADA powersand uses.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 3:37 PM, Dork Fish said:

Another question regarding substrate.

In regards to the mesh bags or stockings use to find with lava rock: Do they need to be a certain material that won't break down over time, or no?

Asking because I couldn't find anything that mentioned negative affects of standard bulk lava rock for a hardware store.

I have used lava rock intended for the grill, as well as Lava rock recycled from the garden path with no issues.

• Like 1

I always clean my rock. Yes. The easiest way to do this is just to rinse it and then soak it, rinse it again, etc.

Some of the internal dirt for rocks with holes takes time to de-crust, especially on something like dragonstone.

This is also the same thing I do for wood.... Minus the boiling. Don't boil rocks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/28/2023 at 9:30 AM, Dork Fish said:

I had seen articles recommending the blech the rocks then soak in dechlorinating solution but that seems risky to me.

Bleach is actually extremely safe for aquariums use when done correctly.

This is the method:

He also does the same thing, heck.... I did it two days ago, to dip rocks for algae.