Tank builders/Restorers: Do you have a preferred brand of silicone?

Dork Fish

On 6/19/2023 at 7:39 PM, TheMosster said:

@Fish Folk

a tube of Seachem aquarium silicone is around $10 at my LFS

around 3 times the amount of silicone from GE goes at homedepot for the same price,

the industrial stuff is much more cost efficient.

Yeah, if it’s chemically the same, definitely save the $. But I am just unsure if it really is the same chemistry.

On 6/19/2023 at 7:53 PM, Fish Folk said:

But I am just unsure if it really is the same chemistry.

i agree with @Dork Fish i think if its 100% silicone it should be the same thing.

I know kgtropicals did a video on it a while ago.Its called Aquarium Nightmares (fish tank leaking) i believe John adresses the issue there.

According to John, it just needs to be "aquarium safe" and the brand doesnt matter from there.

@Fish Folklast time i checked the DAP caulk was not advertised as "aquarium safe" which could be explained by its additives.

Edited by TheMosster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After researching this topic, I ended up ordering aquarium silicone.  I used SELSIL Aquarium Silicone Sealant from Amazon.  It was around the same price as the 100% silicone from the hardware store. ($10-$15).  ASI has black silicone for around the same price.  Read the fine print for cure times per each brand.  Usually they say between 24-48 hours depending on brand.  I let mine cure the recommended time plus a little bit more.   Figured it couldn't hurt.

• Like 1

Example from ASI:

Directions:
ASI Aquarium Silicone Sealant is ready to use and requires no mixing or additives. The cure mechanism begins as soon as the sealant comes in contact with the air. At conditions of 25°C (77°F) and 50% relative humidity, the sealant will skin in 10 minutes and fully cure in 24 hours (1/8” bead) and reaches its maximum adhesion in 7 days. Higher humidity accelerates curing. Tooling, if necessary, should be done before skinning takes place. In applications where partial or total confinement of sealant is prevalent, the time required for proper cure is generally lengthened by the degree of confinement.

It still needs to cure properly to the glass and old silicone. 

On 6/19/2023 at 8:17 PM, Dork Fish said:

Okay cool, I am not doing a complete reseal. Just making the edges look straighter. 🙂

Edited by redfish
  • Like 2

100% silicone. You can get the professional series or aquarium series. IMO they don’t provide quantifiable enough results to warrant the extra cost.

Serpa designs makes all his own tanks and I am pretty sure I’ve only ever seen him use GE or similar. 

I really like using the black silicone now because it looks cleaner. Do not use silicone for window seals. Idk who would want a leaky window but that silicone/latex compound breaks down very quickly when exposed to water. I made that mistake once… once. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1