Sponge Filter vs Hang On Filter

AceMcCannon

Hey everyone,

I know this an age old topic, but I seeking some opinions. I'm in the midst of setting up up a ten gallon planted tank. I was planning to go with an easy sponge filter setup, but I've never really used one in a smaller tank. With the limited space should I look into a hang on filter, or am I not giving up that much space? Thanks in advance everyone.  

• Like 2

If it was a 20G I would have some sort of a selection and a pro/con for the filter.  Given that it's a 10G, it's very difficult depending on stocking to feel like you have enough room.  I like the sponge filters for that application, preferable 2x the nano size (one on each side), but depending on what you decide I had a lot of issues getting the sponge to mechanically filter the water.  This is just my experience.  Hopefully others can chime in who have a lot more experience with the 10G format.

@TeeJay @Chick-In-Of-TheSea @Cinnebuns help us out!

If you were opting for a HoB I think something like aqueon is probably perfect because it's a very small filter.  The tetra is very similar, but the pump is on the outside of the tank.  The marineland penguin pro gives you a few more features, but is likely too much flow for that size of a tank.

• Like 1

In terms of space, I think a HOB with a pre-filter sponge and a nano sponge filter take up about the same amount of space. However, if you choose to go with a HOB, you will still probably want to run an air stone, which will take up additional space. 

I personally like running HOBs in all of my tanks because being able to add specialty filter media on a case by basis is important to me. I also think they are better at picking up debris than sponge filters. I also like that the increased flow helps spread fertilizer across the tank to different plants. 

In most of my tanks I run both types of filters. In my 10g, I use a HOB and a small zis airstone. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 10:27 PM, Ninjoma said:

In terms of space, I think a HOB with a pre-filter sponge and a nano sponge filter take up about the same amount of space. However, if you choose to go with a HOB, you will still probably want to run an air stone, which will take up additional space. 

I personally like running HOBs in all of my tanks because being able to add specialty filter media on a case by basis is important to me. I also think they are better at picking up debris than sponge filters. I also like that the increased flow helps spread fertilizer across the tank to different plants. 

In most of my tanks I run both types of filters. In my 10g, I use a HOB and a small zis airstone. 

Why do you think he needs an extra airstone? I personally think it is a good quality of life upgrade but not a must.

On 6/15/2023 at 9:52 PM, AceMcCannon said:

Hey everyone,

I know this an age old topic, but I seeking some opinions. I'm in the midst of setting up up a ten gallon planted tank. I was planning to go with an easy sponge filter setup, but I've never really used one in a smaller tank. With the limited space should I look into a hang on filter, or am I not giving up that much space? Thanks in advance everyone.  

In my experience of 5 HOBs from different brands, and 23 sponge filters 

Sponge filter:

+Positives:

Gentle, which is loved by some specific fish. The current don't push them away or cause them to struggle swimming.

good surface agitation

Tend to have less biofilm on surface in my experience as it is constantly boiling

usually cheaper

On a power out situation, can be easily kept running with a USB air pump

-Negatives:

Splash splash everywhere, or at least on the lid constantly.

Noisier than a HOB unless you buy a cheap HOB. Still noisy if you install airstone in it imo.

Constant surface splash create residue on lid and affect floating plants.

Not good at flow. Does not turn or mechanically filter tanks well in my opinion.

Dead spots

You can't easily install stuff or add media and stuff on it like you can easily do on a HOB basket, purigen, active carbon, filter floss, etc.

HOB:

+Positives:

Better flow, Turns the water well around the tank.

Less dead spots.

Better floating plant growth.

Can be used as both waterfall  or levelled up.

The HOB basket is all up to you. Use however you like. Active carbon, purigen, filter wool, ceramics, biomedia, sponge, ANYTHING!

Prefilter sponge also does a great job for mechanical and additional biological filteration

-Negatives:

Usually more expensive if you want good quality ones

In power out situations, can be harder to manage. Restarting can be a problem if the tank has a rim and water level is lower than HOB, or it can be hard to keep the media wet and alive.

You just can't restart the filter directly with a USB air pump when the power is out.

You have to buy extra media to fill the basket usually and not use replacable cartidges. Also prefilter spong is kinda a must. So it comes with some extra costs.

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 6/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, Lennie said:

Why do you think he needs an extra airstone?

My thought is that adding an airstone is easy and cheap and prevents issues with running low on oxygen which can be catastrophic in worst case scenarios. So it's not that it is absolutely needed, but I think the cost to effect ratio is such that it is a good reccomendation for most people. 

On 6/15/2023 at 1:55 PM, Galabar said:

Another vote for joining the undergravel filter club... 🙂

Ya know, I've ran hob filters and I've used sponge filters in bigger tanks in the past. Maybe I try something new and use an under gravel filter. Lol

Do they work well with planted tanks?

• Like 1

My best answer is it depends. It depends on the plant and fish species you plan to keep. Some require higher flow and some lower. Some benefit more from eating food off of the sponge filter. Some plants will clog a hang on back. I have done both in a 10 gallon for different reasons. So what plants and animals do you plan to keep?

Just for some examples from my experiences in the past:

-  bettas require lower flow and so a sponge filter is better

- hillstream loaches and many catfish appreciate higher flow so I have actually setup both a high flow hob on one small end and a sponge filter on the other to create a circle of high flow. 

-  duckweed and other small flakey plants will clog hob filters if you aren't careful 

-  hob can create a flow problem for some plants

-  sponge filters can create too much surface movement for many floating plants

-  shrimp and fry use the sponge filter as a food source

-  hob can hold more media if you want to over stock. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

I also added an internal filter (Sicce Shark ADV 600 for some polishing and chemical filtration):

tank1.jpgI sure hope the silver dollars that I'm going to put in their don't like red plants... 🙂

Edited by Galabar

I agree with @Cinnebuns answer that "it depends". 

If this is just one tank in one location, I'd be inclined to find a HOB that works for you, ie has the right flow and circulation properties for the fish you get (and the right maintenance properties for the user 🙂 ). Do you know what those will be? Do you know what substrate you'll have? Live plants

In your question, you specifically ask about space gained or lost, but I wouldn't worry about that aspect of the choice. 

Sponge filters come in different sizes; in my 10 gallon - i use two small sponge fitlers in the back corner:

20230529_083228.jpg.a969ff54a248e21ed96e7dc9516fe4bb.jpg

--

The only way i would use a HOB on a 10 gallon is if i had a fish that thrive in strong current. In terms of longevity this aquarium has been setup for a couple of years - so stability seems fine.

Edited by anewbie

As they say on the label "your results may vary".  Which one you want is determined by what you are asking it to do.  In the 10 gallon, the HOB might be too much. 

The UGF is a good option, and does everything a sponge filter does, without the sponge.  The downside is: in the unlikely event that you need to repair/replace the UGF, you will have to uproot  the entire aquarium.

The Sponge is: a good biofilter, a poor mechanical filter, cheap, safe for small critters, usually easy to hide, mobile, aerates the water...  The biggest downside for me is my very hard water.  All of those bubbles leave a mineral crust on everything above the water line. 

The HOB is: easily modified,  much better for circulating the water, aerates the water, a good mechanical filter, a good biofilter, requires maintenance, cost more upfront, could cost more to operate.  While it is true that some might/might not self prime, they all must be primed the first time, and I've never seen one run dry under normal conditions.

Mine also tends to collect stray plants, leaves and young snails