Build Bacteria in sponge filter

KaiU

Hello everyone!

I was wondering about how to build healthy bacteria in a newly established tank and the idea of soaking or using a sponge filter in a already heavily planted tank came to thought. If I were to soak it or use it in the planted tank for a week and put inside the newly established tank would that make the process faster in building beneficial bacteria?

I've seen plenty of people this strategy, including myself, and it works well. Just run the sponge filter in your already cycled tank, preferably near an established sponge filter. If your situation allows, I would run it for an extra few weeks if you could. I also like to add a bit of fritzzyme 7 to help kickstart the cycle.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:39 AM, AnotherHumanPerson said:

I've seen plenty of people this strategy, including myself, and it works well. Just run the sponge filter in your already cycled tank, preferably near an established sponge filter. If your situation allows, I would run it for an extra few weeks if you could. I also like to add a bit of fritzzyme 7 to help kickstart the cycle.

Awesome thank you for replying so fast! I'll def put my sponge filter inside then. 

Right now I'm trying to cycle in a different method for my new fish room.

I dumped in 6 sponge filters in a bucket, which I vacuumed my overstocked tank a bit into it, also cleaned and squeezed all the AC70 sponge, floss and biomedia and as a result, created a bacteria rich poop bucket 😄

I did it this morning and without adding much it was already reading 0.5 ammonia. Added a lil bit fish food.

I will see how it will cycle. I can update you regarding the procedure and my experiment if you like to try it too

Edited by Lennie
  • Love 1

On 5/26/2023 at 9:26 AM, KaiU said:

If I were to soak it or use it in the planted tank for a week and put inside the newly established tank would that make the process faster in building beneficial bacteria?

I would give it at least 2 weeks.  Preferably longer.  You can take a small bag of ceramic media and place it on top of an existing sponge filter, when the time comes, add it to the tank that you're trying to cycle.  That should be plenty.

I opt for a sterile, new setup.  I don't use old waste from a sponge and I opt for just adding some food to the new tank and letting it do it's thing.  Keep the bioload low, add some plants, and let it do it's thing.  Daily testing.