Electric blue crayfish?

Sora

My LFS has an electric blue crayfish and I honestly want one so bad. But the biggest tank I have is 20g with 5 corys. Ive heard they can get up to 5 inches, but can I keep one in my 20g? also are they agressive? Thanks!

c314309441d169ff2933c3de91a28edc-freshwater-lobster-freshwater-aquarium-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-600x360.jpg

Edited by Sora
picture add

They share the same level in the tank. Crayfish are territorial and these big species are dangerous.

So that is not a good idea. They also reach up to 6'' adult size, quite big.

I have Cambarellus Diminutus. They are smaller than amano shrimp.  Basically around female cherry shrimp size. I have the clear/brownish version but they also have blue variations as well. Maybe you can consider them instead if the color and crayfish are what attracts you. Also these have a general reputation of being peaceful.

Smallest dwarf crab - Cambarellus diminutus | Garnelio ENCambarellus diminutus var. Blau - Blaue-Zwergflusskrebs 1-1,5cm -  ZooShopXXL.deCambarellus diminutus blue. Check me out here 😉  https://www.instagram.com/crayd_aquatics/ : r/Crayfish

• Like 3

On 5/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Very cool little crayfish @Lennie

You should see the way they defend themself when a fish swims by.

They raise their claws and wait 😄

I wouldn't trust anything bigger than them with claws in a community tank ngl

• Haha 1

Definitely not a community member for an aquarium and they get big so 55 gallon or larger. Other bottom feeders will become lunch.

I am on my second one in 6 years and both have only been with very large goldfish and a gold Pleco. This one loves his Escargot so I dump in problem Ramshorns regularly.  Although it is now where close to Aquascaping, I built him a large opened driftwood area that he uses as a jungle gym. I also have the tank flow moving though his area because he loves the flow. They will eat almost every plant you try to put in but then so do the goldfish, large Java fern lasts the longest. I built the structure so I can see him on occasion and the new one knows when I come to the tank now it is to feed him not to eat him so he no longer hides. Still cannot get him on camera but this is a picture of the original as a juvenile.

I grow dwarf hair grass for him and put in patches for him to eat and play with which are gone in about 2 days.

Mr Blue 1.JPG

• Love 2

On 5/19/2023 at 2:07 PM, Lennie said:

They share the same level in the tank. Crayfish are territorial and these big species are dangerous.

So that is not a good idea. They also reach up to 6'' adult size, quite big.

I have Cambarellus Diminutus. They are smaller than amano shrimp.  Basically around female cherry shrimp size. I have the clear/brownish version but they also have blue variations as well. Maybe you can consider them instead if the color and crayfish are what attracts you. Also these have a general reputation of being peaceful.

Smallest dwarf crab - Cambarellus diminutus | Garnelio ENCambarellus diminutus var. Blau - Blaue-Zwergflusskrebs 1-1,5cm -  ZooShopXXL.deCambarellus diminutus blue. Check me out here 😉  https://www.instagram.com/crayd_aquatics/ : r/Crayfish

Those are awesome I need 1 or 50 of them! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/19/2023 at 10:38 PM, ktk4beees said:

Definitely not a community member for an aquarium and they get big so 55 gallon or larger. Other bottom feeders will become lunch.

I am on my second one in 6 years and both have only been with very large goldfish and a gold Pleco. This one loves his Escargot so I dump in problem Ramshorns regularly.  Although it is now where close to Aquascaping, I built him a large opened driftwood area that he uses as a jungle gym. I also have the tank flow moving though his area because he loves the flow. They will eat almost every plant you try to put in but then so do the goldfish, large Java fern lasts the longest. I built the structure so I can see him on occasion and the new one knows when I come to the tank now it is to feed him not to eat him so he no longer hides. Still cannot get him on camera but this is a picture of the original as a juvenile.

I grow dwarf hair grass for him and put in patches for him to eat and play with which are gone in about 2 days.

Mr Blue 1.JPG

I wonder what its molt look like 😄 

On 5/20/2023 at 4:31 AM, ktk4beees said:

They look just like the actual animal.

Sometimes people share their big vampire shrimp molts etc, and they are huge! 😄 and a lil bit creepy 

I've found this video. They look huge and their molt is extremely colorful. I love how beautiful the orange one looks

Crayfish must be kept in species only tanks. Even then there will be community disputes as to whose cave belongs to who. 

They are rather sedentary creatures especially when kept alone, so 1 in a 20 long would make for a great pet! They are like all things quite food motivated. But yeah plants and animals alike will not survive their big meaty claws. 

480BBAD2-1C0E-42C8-8971-E81FCC7C26BE.jpeg.ec1f5b44eb5f957326fb7adf8f22347b.jpeg

On 5/20/2023 at 6:29 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Crayfish must be kept in species only tanks. Even then there will be community disputes as to whose cave belongs to who. 

They are rather sedentary creatures especially when kept alone, so 1 in a 20 long would make for a great pet! They are like all things quite food motivated. But yeah plants and animals alike will not survive their big meaty claws. 

480BBAD2-1C0E-42C8-8971-E81FCC7C26BE.jpeg.ec1f5b44eb5f957326fb7adf8f22347b.jpeg

Cories are the secret ingredient of Krabby Patty???

image.gif.63415db0b4cf7ae2aa8400e491b5b6bb.gif

Edited by Lennie
  • Haha 1