Worm Cultures & Micro Organisms for Fun

Shadow

So I got some micro/banana worm cultures & started them out in 2 containers each...now they have quickly grown over the last week or so. I also have some white worm cultures coming and thanks to a video link from @Guppysnail, I have containers and everything ready to grow those to fruition as well. Today I started a green water tank for the hopes of getting daphnia going. I also found a video on blood worm cultivation, so might dive deep into that as well. Pretty hyped to be creating live food for my fish on a regular basis. For me, its not all about MTS as much as its the science behind it all. Starting to really geek out there. 🙂 

P.S. Anyone wanting some cultures, shoot me a message and when I get too much I will drop a culture to you in the mail. 🙂 You two especially @Guppysnail @nabokovfan87😎

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the worm offer. I find the white fluff poly fill does not keep out mites and such well. 
on all my worm cultures I drill larger holes and duck tape a piece of linen over the holes. That serves me better than poly fill. These are my white worm drawers and how o keep cultures rotated. Oldest on bottom newest on top. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 5/9/2023 at 5:05 PM, Guppysnail said:

Thanks for the worm offer. I find the white fluff poly fill does not keep out mites and such well. 
on all my worm cultures I drill larger holes and duck tape a piece of linen over the holes. That serves me better than poly fill. These are my white worm drawers and how o keep cultures rotated. Oldest on bottom newest on top. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Where do you get your plastic mesh? Also, thanks for the idea with the containment system. I am going to try that as I am worried being out in the shed the bug might eventually get after the smaller worm containers. They haven't as of yet. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 6:14 PM, Shadow said:

Where do you get your plastic mesh? Also, thanks for the idea with the containment system. I am going to try that as I am worried being out in the shed the bug might eventually get after the smaller worm containers. They haven't as of yet. 

Walmart has small packs in the craft isle. I also get it from Amazon. The colored ones my neighbor gave me because they had a whole case. 

43462973-2707-446B-94CF-2C27FFBCD535.png

• Thanks 1

I dont make holes in my micro worms / walter worms cultures. I just open them every other day to let the CO2 out. I do have just two small containers, cause the production is crazy and I have too little fish that actually eat those (like for real, larger fish dont see them). I also use breadcrumbs instead of oats, works better for me 🙂 

• Thanks 1