Looking for Opinions/Advice Re: New Planted 75 Gal tank

Greetings,

We finally got a new 75 gallon tank and cabinet.  It's in a great location against an east wall that gets bright, but not direct, sunlight.  Our plan is to have a lush planted tank but we can't find anything definite about what base substrate to use for a planted tank.  I've seen lots of opinions - everything from potting soil to "don't worry about it, the gravel is fine".

We have 60 lbs of pea gravel so far . . . .  So tell us what would you put down first if you were starting fresh?  Give us your opinions!

Thanks!

Peace,
Gail

• Like 2

75 gal. covers a fair amount of area. Cost is typically determinative in my fishroom. If money didn’t matter, some fertilizer down first, then Active Flora black for the base few inches, with whatever larger gravel on top of that. Eco Complete is great too. 

Depending on what plants you want to grow, the substrate may be irrelevant. If you are growing crypts, swords and other root feeders, inert gravel or sand is still fine as long as you add root tabs. You can also use a plant focused substrate, but it's more expensive and will still require root tabs to replenish it once the nutrients are depleted. Soil has a reputation for being extremely messy, so I've avoided trying it personally. 

It really does depend on the plants you use. I had regular aquarium gravel in my seventy five with a singular amazon sword in it but I did feed it some root tabs and there was goldfish in there with it. By far the best amazon sword I had ever seen. But now I have a 30 gallon with stems, pothos where its roots are in the gravel, and amazon swords where I need eco complete.

I don't know if you got a smaller size pea gravel but it's usually a bit too big to plant into. If you're going to aquarium co-op they sell gravel there that is a perfect size, and relatively cheap. Or honestly any fine aquarium gravel from a big box store will work as well.