Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on with my c02 tank?

Crow

Hello all

I discovered a few days ago that the c02 on my smallest tank wasn’t shutting off at night. I run airstones in my tanks with c02 and the good news is the fish seem ok.

After ruling out my Wi-Fi switch as the problem I think my regulator has failed and is stuck open. However when I went to pull the regulator off I realized the c02 can’s shut-off valve isn’t stopping the flow of c02 even though I have it turned all the way to the “closed” position. I’m not sure if the shut-off valve on my c02 can (which is a 5 pound can) has also failed somehow or if the faulty regulator is keeping the shut-off valve from closing properly. I’m also unsure of how to proceed from here. I’m really new to c02 so any advice would be appreciated!

On 4/18/2023 at 8:16 PM, Crow said:

I discovered a few days ago that the c02 on my smallest tank wasn’t shutting off at night. I run airstones in my tanks with c02 and the good news is the fish seem ok.

Solenoids do go bad.  Can you clarify what system you're using?

Something may have happened to trigger the Over pressure valve on the cylinder. 😞

• Like 1

@Peperehas given great advice above,

. Go through the trouble shooting steps to figure out what is going on. I have used many bottle of different gases, co2, argon, oxy, propane, etc between work and home and have never had a bottle valve not work to where it wouldn't close. If you are trying to loosen the regulator from the bottle, be sure to close the valve on the can, and bleed off any co2 that may be remaining in the lines and regulator, either by taking the line coming off the bubble counter and opening the needle valve all the way to let it escape quickly or cracking the nut holding the regulator to the can. it may hiss out gas fo a few seconds. if it takes longer than a few seconds, tighten the nut and take the unit outside and loosen it. Let all of the gas escape before trying to attempt to take it the rest of the way off. If the problem is that the bottle valve will not close, take it to wherever you had it filled and be sure to let them know it would not close.