My milksnake 🥛

The endler guy

On 6/14/2023 at 6:57 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I'm just guessing from what he looks like in the pics, but he should be able to easily take fuzzy or even small hopper mice. When I kept snakes several years ago, I fed prey items that were up to 1.5 times the diameter of the body. 

thats what i was thinking, i have 1 pinky left so I was going to start getting fuzzies

On 6/13/2023 at 3:14 PM, The endler guy said:

My dude is getting pretty large (for a small dude) when should I start feeding fuzzies instead of pinky mice?

I don’t like to push size too soon but they should be able to take something easily that is 1.25 and even up to 1.5 times their diameter.  The more mature the mammal prey item the more calcium in the bones, which is good.  Just don’t get too close to power feeding since that causes all sorts of issues.  You want the body on this species to be round but no groove down the middle over the spine, ever.  “A crease is obese” is the easy saying to remember which applies to pretty much any snake species but some should have their spine showing a bit - not milk snakes, that’s too thin for them.  Your guy looks good!

Edited by Odd Duck
Fix triple post weirdness.
  • Like 1

nice! i guess im not the only terrarium person on here, though our interests appear to be rather different.

please share more details on this V. where do you find isopods in the wild? I want free ones!

On 6/3/2023 at 12:22 PM, The endler guy said:

My wild caught isopod culture, that I’m waiting to breed until I put them in with my dude

image.jpg

Edited by Themosster

On 6/18/2023 at 9:54 PM, Themosster said:

where do you find isopods in the wild? I want free ones!

Hobby ones are too cute to go for the wild ones 😄 I got me Porcellio laevis oranges and dairy cows, and they are adorable!!

Also, I have been doing so many researches about isopods lately. You may want to see this video regarding getting them from wild first. That made me a step back. This guy has soooo much info in his channel for isopods!

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2023 at 3:13 PM, Lennie said:

Hobby ones are too cute to go for the wild ones 😄 I got me Porcellio laevis oranges and dairy cows, and they are adorable!!

Also, I have been making so many researches about isopods lately. You may want to see this video regarding getting them from wild first. That made me a step back. This guy has soooo much info in his channel for isopods!

yeah... but the wild ones are free... Id rather a free random T-shirt, then a expensive suit if im just doing my normal thing. I really do terrariums as experiments, but ill keep what you said in mind, And thanks for the video. Are you into terrariums too?

Edited by Themosster
  • Like 2

On 6/18/2023 at 2:54 PM, Themosster said:

nice! i guess im not the only terrarium person on here, though our interests appear to be rather different.

please share more details on this V. where do you find isopods in the wild? I want free ones!

I just dug through some pine needles and under bark

My guy is super long now!IMG_1962.jpeg.5b8876b7456f9c0b8717ad1973f58100.jpeg

look at his little booplsnoot!!!!

IMG_1964.jpeg.dd8442208baa616340a8a646555895df.jpeg

On 6/18/2023 at 6:26 PM, Themosster said:

maybe ill look for some myself then...

or ill be smart and leave my terrariums alone.

hard decision. 😄

What I’m doing is letting them breed for a few generations until I introduce them

• Love 2

On 6/18/2023 at 6:45 PM, The endler guy said:

A bit of both! I only collected a few, so if they breed in a small container I’ll have a ton to put in with my dude

ive considered doing that with guppies... just buying 1female and expanding my entire population from there. But...i get impulsive when i see some of the guppy males,so ive never actually come through with that idea.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2023 at 6:47 AM, PineSong said:

Since I went to elementary school in the land of venomous snakes (south Florida), seeing your new pet brought me right back to the annual lessons on the differences between milk and coral snakes. Glad you got the safe kind!

I think the entire Deep South is the land of venomous snakes....I grew up on the Mississippi River bluffs on Tennessee and we had to know this difference as well. Gotta love the woods! 

Beautiful milksnake btw @The endler guy🤩

• Like 2