My milksnake 🥛

The endler guy

On 4/21/2023 at 3:27 AM, The endler guy said:

Any tips for getting my little guy to feed (he doesn’t even leave his tunnels so I can’t hold him or really even find him to give him his food)

Is feeding live animals legal in the US? 

*Although just waiting until he shows signs of starvation might be a good idea🤦‍♂️

Edited by TheSwissAquarist

On 4/21/2023 at 8:31 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Is feeding live animals legal in the US? 

*Although just waiting until he shows signs of starvation might be a good idea🤦‍♂️

I think it is legal, but live feeding is dangerous 

On 4/21/2023 at 1:45 AM, Odd Duck said:

What’s the temp in the substrate, in his tunnels, and the basking site?  Were you able to get your basking site over 85’F?  It really should be closer to 95’F because damp substrate will usually run too chilly and they’ll slowly get sluggish.

The basking site is quite warm ~90 sometimes

overall I think there is a good temp gradient 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:34 AM, The endler guy said:

I think it is legal, but live feeding is dangerous 

The basking site is quite warm ~90 sometimes

overall I think there is a good temp gradient 

100% agree on live feeding being too dangerous to the snake, especially a young milk snake.

Basking is still under what I recommend.  One of the biggest issues I see for snakes is a basking site that’s either too hot or too cool.  I’d really like to see your’s closer to 95’F unless your coolest substrate temp is at least 75’F.  If less than that, you absolutely need your basking to hit 95’F.

Sometimes young snakes don’t know what’s good for them and we have to help and make decisions for them so they stay in their POTZ.  If they are maintaining their internal temp a bit on the low side their immune system will be suppressed, their appetite will be suppressed, and their digestive enzymes won’t work right.  This can lead to very serious issues and eventually death of the snake.

I know you’re not paying me my usual office visit price but you’re getting free advice from a veterinarian that’s been seeing exotics for 29 years.  I’ve worked at clinics where I saw almost 90% exotics.  I certainly can’t make you take my advice, but I assure you, I do know what I’m talking about.  You’ll have to make your own decision about care, but you did ask for advice, why not take it?

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

On 4/21/2023 at 12:43 PM, Odd Duck said:

100% agree on live feeding being too dangerous to the snake, especially a young milk snake.

Basking is still under what I recommend.  One of the biggest issues I see for snakes is a basking site that’s either too hot or too cool.  I’d really like to see your’s closer to 95’F unless your coolest substrate temp is at least 75’F.  If less than that, you absolutely need your basking to hit 95’F.

Sometimes young snakes don’t know what’s good for them and we have to help and make decisions for them so they stay in their POTZ.  If they are maintaining their internal temp a bit on the low side their immune system will be suppressed, their appetite will be suppressed, and their digestive enzymes won’t work right.  This can lead to very serious issues and eventually death of the snake.

I know you’re not paying me my usual office visit price but you’re getting free advice from a veterinarian that’s been seeing exotics for 29 years.  I’ve worked at clinics where I saw almost 90% exotics.  I certainly can’t make you take my advice, but I assure you, I do know what I’m talking about.  You’ll have to make your own decision about care, but you did ask for advice, why not take it?

I definitely could have phrased what I said better, the basking spot is quite warm in the high 90’s (I had 2 lamps, and moved them over to one side to create more of a hot spot)

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 12:19 PM, The endler guy said:

I definitely could have phrased what I said better, the basking spot is quite warm in the high 90’s (I had 2 lamps, and moved them over to one side to create more of a hot spot)

Good!  Be a touch careful with high 90’s.  That isn’t likely to cause issues but it could make them stay down in the cooler substrate if the overall temp is a touch too high.  There is sometimes a very fine line where the basking is just right vs warm enough to trigger more hiding.  I do really like a warm end/cool end set up but with juvies you have to make sure the coolest part of the cool end isn’t too cold.  Can you use an aquarium thermometer or a thermometer probe to check the substrate temp at the coolest part plus the area where he hangs out the most?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 1:52 PM, Odd Duck said:

Good!  Be a touch careful with high 90’s.  That isn’t likely to cause issues but it could make them stay down in the cooler substrate if the overall temp is a touch too high.  There is sometimes a very fine line where the basking is just right vs warm enough to trigger more hiding.  I do really like a warm end/cool end set up but with juvies you have to make sure the coolest part of the cool end isn’t too cold.  Can you use an aquarium thermometer or a thermometer probe to check the substrate temp at the coolest part plus the area where he hangs out the most?

I believe he spends most of his time in the ground under the warm area (the substrate is pretty deep) although I don’t really know where he spends his time (and that is the problem)

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 1:51 PM, The endler guy said:

I believe he spends most of his time in the ground under the warm area (the substrate is pretty deep) although I don’t really know where he spends his time (and that is the problem)

Do you have a thermometer that you can push down into the substrate?  Very gently, of course, since you don’t know for sure where he’s hanging out.  You can at least get an idea what the worm end and cool end substrate temps are and let me know.  That’s the starting place.  He may be warm enough in there that he doesn’t feel the need to come out and bask.  Do you have any real rocks or only the plastic hides in the tank?  Have you gotten any plants or CUC in the tank, yet?

Nevermind, looked back and found the rescape post, but didn’t see if you’ve got your CUC added?

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 6:39 PM, Odd Duck said:

Do you have a thermometer that you can push down into the substrate?  Very gently, of course, since you don’t know for sure where he’s hanging out.  You can at least get an idea what the worm end and cool end substrate temps are and let me know.  That’s the starting place.  He may be warm enough in there that he doesn’t feel the need to come out and bask.  Do you have any real rocks or only the plastic hides in the tank?  Have you gotten any plants or CUC in the tank, yet?

Nevermind, looked back and found the rescape post, but didn’t see if you’ve got your CUC added?

I haven’t been able to get more cleanup crew but I should be today 

substrate temp is 71

On 4/24/2023 at 4:19 AM, The endler guy said:

He ate yesterday!

SUPER aggressive to eat

also does anyone notice their snake more active after they eat?

Some will be more active, more often they will find a quiet spot that’s just the right temp to help them digest.  It somewhat depends on the size of the meal.  A bigger meal will make them more likely to get quiet.  Smaller meals may be deemed inadequate by the “precious Princess”, especially after a shed, and they may be looking for more.

Don’t believe them!

If they keep prowling persistently, you can do another small meal early to see if it satisfies them.  If the small snack satisfies them, you may need to plan on a slightly bigger meal after the next shed, but do the normal meal for normal feedings.  You will get better at reading their attitude and feeding needs with time.  Milk snakes should have rounded bodies, but never a crease down their back.  Remember, “A crease means obese”.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2023 at 9:27 AM, The endler guy said:

He has decided to become semi arboreal and loves climbing a succulent on the cold area 

Good!  That usually means you’ve got the temps and lights right and they’re settling in to explore and “hunt”.

• Like 1

IMG_1952.jpeg.84c1caf2dc03bf4b26806304274a5b91.jpeg
Not the greatest shed (it was an entire body shed but I accidentally ripped it when pulling it out) probably because my auto mister hasn’t been working properly because I was ironing some kinks out because I increased the storage to a 1 gallon jugimage.jpg.aff30eaa192fe5e21fbc5d5ac0490c7a.jpg

(I think I heard him shedding this morning so that’s pretty interesting)

• Like 1
  • Love 1