55 Gallon Journal (Yes, I bought another tank)

Miska

So I want to get into breeding. I want to breed angel fish, but I also want to breed LFWCMM and I also want to breed CPDs and Emerald Dwarf Rasboras

So I bought another tank. This one is going to go upstairs, I think, in my bedroom. (My bedroom is the size of a small studio apartment).  I hate the stand but it looks like it totally fits the tank? I am considering spray painting it a nice blue I have, and then adding vinyl waterproof wallpaper in segments to make it nicer. 

Any thoughts? Anyone?

@Elodie Rose @Guppysnail @cinnanoodles

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 11.00.43 AM.png

• Love 2

I *love* reappropriated real wood furniture. I actually have this tv stand that miiiight be perfect for it, and it's strong enough for me and my husband to sit on (real wood, center support, we use it as a bench) 

• Love 1

Looks good. I use 55’s to breed my angles. 2 pair in each tank. I divide the tank with black tank dividers or egg crate. The works well and doesn’t stand out to much. I scape the tank with Amazon Sword bey they have wide leaves for them to lay eggs on if they don’t like the slate.  Sorry about the divider in this tank. I have plecos breeding in this tank as well. I just have not cut the divider yet. It’s off the bottom just enough for the plecos to access both sides. Oh and the tape is my tank parameters. C70E94BB-3CC8-4779-B9E1-4D97A3DC15A2.jpeg.33f921590be885123c767395e1a99dc0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:27 PM, rockfisher said:

I like that I can still have breeding tanks that look good. Normally you cant see the divider when looking straight on. 

That's my hope. I want to aqua scape with sword like you (I really love sword) and I was thinking maybe one other plant? I know Angels need higher temps. My husband is in love with Angels, and I really love the red koi ones (but am open to others too) and I want to make him happy... but also learn how to breed and maybe help fund my new lifestyle (because asking for fish presents only goes so far). 

On 3/29/2023 at 12:26 PM, Miska said:

Ohhhh another local??? I'm about 40 from Newark. Do you go to any go to any of the clubs?

I honestly did not even know there where clubs in Delaware, do you have any to recommend? 

There are a couple, @Sora! I have not gone to any yet, but a few have piqued my interest! 

I am also interested in the York PA club and the Lancaster Club!

Delaware Club that I know is local to us: https://dsas.online/new/

I am thinking about going to the April 1st meeting at the Ciclid Club of York, they are having a talk on keeping fish outdoors, which I want to do. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:30 PM, Miska said:

That's my hope. I want to aqua scape with sword like you (I really love sword) and I was thinking maybe one other plant? I know Angels need higher temps. My husband is in love with Angels, and I really love the red koi ones (but am open to others too) and I want to make him happy... but also learn how to breed and maybe help fund my new lifestyle (because asking for fish presents only goes so far). 

I have angels in 84f, 82f,80f, and 78f. They all do well. The biggest difference is the ones at 78f lay little less often. The ones at 84f are laying every 8 days. The the ones at 78f are closer to 16-18 days. Angels are pretty hardy. There are not a lot of wild angels unless you are looking for them. The tank raised are way better at different temps. I’m in Fl so room temp here is about 76-78. So I’mheated tanks are close to that. 

• Love 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:39 PM, rockfisher said:

I have angels in 84f, 82f,80f, and 78f. They all do well. The biggest difference is the ones at 78f lay little less often. The ones at 84f are laying every 8 days. The the ones at 78f are closer to 16-18 days. Angels are pretty hardy. There are not a lot of wild angels unless you are looking for them. The tank raised are way better at different temps. I’m in Fl so room temp here is about 76-78. So I’mheated tanks are close to that. 

That is good to know! We are... originally from almost Canada (NWPA/Lake Erie) so we keep our house at 65 in the winter and 70 in the summer lmao. I will need hardy heaters, but that is okay! I have the Hygger ones and I love them. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:03 AM, Miska said:

So I want to get into breeding. I want to breed angel fish, but I also want to breed LFWCMM and I also want to breed CPDs and Emerald Dwarf Rasboras

So I bought another tank. This one is going to go upstairs, I think, in my bedroom. (My bedroom is the size of a small studio apartment).  I hate the stand but it looks like it totally fits the tank? I am considering spray painting it a nice blue I have, and then adding vinyl waterproof wallpaper in segments to make it nicer. 

Any thoughts? Anyone?

@Elodie Rose @Guppysnail @cinnanoodles

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 11.00.43 AM.png

Skip the paining! Go to PetSmart and buy one of these! https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-desert-3d-sandstone-background-5300293.html 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 5:03 PM, Miska said:

want to get into breeding. I want to breed angel fish, but I also want to breed LFWCMM and I also want to breed CPDs and Emerald Dwarf Rasboras

A 55 gal is perfect for breeding angels in my opinion. Maybe throw in some Apistos and/or Corydoras for another species to breed? 

• Love 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:15 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

My Angels are my bread and butter to trade to the LFS for credit! I did a pretty extensive explanation of how I do it in the “Fish Breeding” section of the forum. Best of luck to you and holler if you need any help!

I absolutely plan to! You inspire me a lot! 

On 3/29/2023 at 1:16 PM, Lennie said:

Beautiful tank. I wanna scream barbs! BARRRBSSS!!!

🤣

They are a joy.

I'm so excited to see how your tank will be like. It is always nice to start something new.

I haven't found one I love yet, but I am interested in MAYBE Cherries since they are more friendly. 

• Like 1

55 gal. is pretty versatile. I’ve done a few different setups with them. For Angels, they’re iconic.

Lots of better advice out there (and from folks right here) on breeding them. But here’s a series from my kid a few years ago breeding them. Enjoy…

• Love 2

On 3/29/2023 at 1:16 PM, Lennie said:

Beautiful tank. I wanna scream barbs! BARRRBSSS!!!

🤣

They are a joy.

I'm so excited to see how your tank will be like. It is always nice to start something new.

You have to be careful of bards and angels. Some bards are notorious at nipping angles fins

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:24 PM, Fish Folk said:

55 gal. is pretty versatile. I’ve done a few different setups with them. For Angels, they’re iconic.

Lots of better advice out there (and from folks right here) on breeding them. But here’s a series from my kid a few years ago breeding them. Enjoy…

Thank you!!!!

On 3/29/2023 at 8:22 PM, Miska said:

I haven't found one I love yet, but I am interested in MAYBE Cherries since they are more friendly. 

Couple days ago I got rosy barbs. They added way too much character to the tank. My LFS had only 2m:3f. I'm looking forward them to get more in stock. 

Rather than barbs, goodluck finding friendly angels! 😄 they are usually meanies sadly. I have always wanted to keep them but they scare me more than barbs do. 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:24 PM, rockfisher said:

You have to be careful of bards and angels. Some bards are notorious at nipping angles fins

Definitely! 

I was assuming eliminating angels from the plan and adding barbs in! 😄 But not really seriously. I just like screaming barbs whenever I see a big enough tank 😄

Idk who is more meanies tho. Potential fin nippers, or tank bully angels, especially during breeding time >_>

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2