Seachem Polyguard

CJs Aquatics

Hey all, posted this in the diseases forum because it’s a medication stated to treat a number of things. I can find very minimal info online about it (video idea for any YouTubers listening). My question is hopefully to someone with experience in this section that can tell me about it specifically is it snail safe? Does it alter parameters or destroy cycles? Anything really besides what’s on the box. It was referred to me as a “preventative/ reverse” measure by a reputable source to help combat the unknown reason quite a few people in my area are randomly losing guppies in established tanks overtime (myself included). I have some on the way just to have, but before I go dosing I’m seeking some general info, thank you in advanced

• Like 1

Hey hey @CJs Aquatics

As far as "what it is" here is the ingredients list from the SDS Sheet for Polyguard.

sds.png.5d3f072a1198ddf4d8e9cae134cf50d4.png

A lot of these ingredients are pretty common and looking up those individual ingredients might give you a little better idea of what each is used for.

Details on use with other meds:
https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015758654-FAQ-Can-I-use-Seachem-SulfaPlex-and-PolyGuard-together-

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015446594

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016067274-FAQ-Can-I-use-Seachem-PolyGuard-together-with-

Details on using the med with snails/invertebrates
https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016168133-FAQ-Can-I-use-Seachem-PolyGuard-in-a-tank-where-I-m-keeping-

https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044104214-FAQ-Are-there-any-Seachem-medications-that-I-can-use-on-my-shrimp-snails-plants-or-corals-

Essentially, their policy is to say that they don't recommend use with the snails or other invertebrates due to their ability to be sensitive.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:08 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

it’s crazy how hard it is to find info on that product 

Honestly, I think a lot of the issue is youtube's algorithm.  Some of the most common things that I know have a video, I can't find it anymore and I'm pushed videos that are older but are channels I subscribe to instead of what I search for.  The robots are just weird sometimes.

@Colu and/or @Odd Duck can definitely help out here. 

I can try to help clarify or research things with you if there's a specific detail you really want to verify.

Randomly losing fish is always troubling and difficult.  😞

• Thanks 1

Double thanks, I’m going to do some digging tomorrow if I have very specific questions I will reach out I appreciate it, my main concerns were the effect the meds would have on the bb in the tank as well as snails specifically, and essentially can I dose a display which seems to have unknown issues pertaining mostly to livebearers but also has lost a few adult plecos in past months safely/ would it be effective. The issue is there really isn’t any signs in the tank, and it’s one of my older systems, I’ve ran numerous tests and tried numerous things but it  seems like it’s 50/50, if I throw a livebearer in if it will make it or not. They will act fine, then usually head to the bottom, then just die, less then 24 hrs after heading to the bottom and it’s always one at a time. It’s the oddest thing I’ve encountered. I mentioned it to the LFS as well as someone in charge of my local club and they said they have ran into similar issues before and the ONLY thing that worked was polyguard. I had never heard of it and I’m a big seachem fan so I looked it up (after ordering to get it on the way) and found very little on it. It sounds like a mix of various meds some of which I’ve used in the past to treat individual ailments set up as sort of a mild broad spectrum treatment. Long story short it arrives Tuesday and although there is nothing wrong in my tank currently I was considering dosing bc I know there is an underlying issue which will most likely present itself as soon as I add any livebearers so before doing so or treating I want to ask the forum

On 3/27/2023 at 1:27 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

my main concerns were the effect the meds would have on the bb in the tank

I generally don't worry about this.  Even dosing salt, it often doesn't break cycle for me.  Add air whenever you add meds, that also helps the strong bacteria to thrive.

On 3/27/2023 at 1:27 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

as well as snails specifically

There's probably a few people here who have avoided using meds with snails.  That's the common practice when dosing a tank.  I understand that isn't easy sometimes.  Then a snail dies, and you don't find it and that alone crashes a tank with the ammonia spike.  I think removing snails is the way to go, depending on what you're treating and for how long, if you can do so. 

If you can't, then another way to go about it is to use it in food and target feed.

• Like 2

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea nah, I only use Seachem Kanaplex and Metroplex (along with Focus if binding meds to foods).

However looks like @nabokovfan87found all the answers to the questions here. 

I have found Seachem is very responsive to emails as well. 

You typically have to deep dive on sites about meds but there is always a SDS sheet as they need to be available (believe that is law)

On 3/27/2023 at 11:18 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea nah, I only use Seachem Kanaplex and Metroplex (along with Focus if binding meds to foods).

However looks like @nabokovfan87found all the answers to the questions here. 

I have found Seachem is very responsive to emails as well. 

You typically have to deep dive on sites about meds but there is always a SDS sheet as they need to be available (believe that is law)

Ah I thought poly guards was the name of that sponge you were using to soak up ammonia

PolyGuard has Malachite green which is NOT safe for snails or shrimp. There are multiple medications on PolyGuard that could knock back your beneficial bacteria.  If you have a light enough bio load and very generous biofiltration, you might be OK on not having to fully re-cycle the tank. But you should always be prepared for extra water changes after using meds anyway.

Is this a product I’ve ever used?  No. I’m not much one for using multiple meds that way. I try to keep the water good, I like plenty of plants, and do long quarantines to minimize risk of getting disease in my tanks. I treat as needed only if disease is appears. Good husbandry is the best way to prevent disease. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1