How do you clean your new big tanks and rocks?

Lennie

Hey guys,

As the title says, How do you guys clean your new big tanks that are not easy to carry and wash with plain water outside? Or any new rocks that you wanna introduce to the tank for the first time.

I usually carry my tanks outside, wash them with organic vinegar/water mixture and rub it all over, and rinse it with plain water many times, if the size allows. But what about the big ones?

For the rocks, I again scrub them with a hard unused toothbrush and with vinegar/water mixture, and then pour boiled water on them and let them sit in it for a while, and brush them all over again and rinse with water.

I know boiling rocks directly is dangerous. I used to boil my rocks as well as my woods, lucky me, I have never had issues. I was shocked when I learnt they can explode!

What is the way you follow?

• Love 1

A good cleaning option is spraying hydrogen peroxide on your rocks. I use a soft bristle nail brush then dump hot water on them but not boiling. I’ve cracked rocks dumping boiling water on them. Wood can be done this way also. 
You can spray hydrogen peroxide in the tank and wipe it down. It breaks to water and leaves no residue so requires no rinsing. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 4

On 3/17/2023 at 8:24 PM, Guppysnail said:

A good cleaning option is spraying hydrogen peroxide on your rocks. I use a soft bristle nail brush then dump hot water on them but not boiling. I’ve cracked rocks dumping boiling water on them. Wood can be done this way also. 
You can spray hydrogen peroxide in the tank and wipe it down. It breaks to water and leaves no residue so requires no rinsing. 

Thanks!

By a lil googling, I've come across the %3, %30, %35 and %50 percentages. Does the percentage matter? And should I avoid breathing it while doing the cleaning?

Also, is it a good way to dip new plants? We don't have seltzer water here, and the tools to make my own just for the plants are too expensive. I have always been using alum dip myself.

Edited by Lennie

I play it pretty fast and loose. 

For tanks I just use fritz glass cleaner and then scrub the walls with an algae scrubber and use my python water changer to rinse it off. Leftover water I mop up with towels. 

For rocks I just rinse them in the sink with hot water or let them soak in a bucket for a while if I'm not planning to add them right away. 

Wood I boil. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:40 PM, Lennie said:

Thanks!

By a lil googling, I've come across the %3, %30, %35 and %50 percentages. Does the percentage matter? And should I avoid breathing it while doing the cleaning?

Also, is it a good way to dip new plants? We don't have seltzer water here, and the tools to make my own just for the plants are too expensive. I have always been using alum dip myself.

3% is fine I would not use higher. I’ve dealt with 35 and that is rough stuff. 3 % is what is used to clean cuts so it is antiseptic. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 10:20 AM, Lennie said:

For the rocks, I again scrub them with a hard unused toothbrush and with vinegar/water mixture, and then pour boiled water on them and let them sit in it for a while, and brush them all over again and rinse with water.

Depends on the rocks.  Some you want to have a really strong water pressure to clean out the interior mud (dragon stone) and stuff like seiryu just scrub off and rinse off.  If you want to you can acid wash certain rocks as well (seiryu is great for this)  to decrease some of the marbling and buffer affects.

You don't want to dump hot / boiling water on the rocks, it can cause them to fracture or explode.  I just use water from a hose.

I don't use pretty much anything besides that.  If you're using the rock from a tank previously, I get a bit more aggressive with cleaning / scrubbing.  Dish sponge and other things mentioned above.

• Like 1

I don't use huge rocks cause I'm scared of breaking my tanks, I know
there's a lot of people that don't worry about that but I do & I don't 
take any chance's. I do use river rock & pea gravel in my tanks &
when I have rocks to clean I use a metal screen colander/strainer.

I put like a lb or 2 in & under regular tap water shake & rinse 3-5 X's
till there all done & do the same for used gravel just with hot water 
& bleach it in a 5 gal bucket, let it sit a few hours & put it in the 
strainer shake & rinse, & it cleans the gravel like bran new.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 5:30 PM, Tanked said:

boiling and brushing for the rocks.

Be careful with that!

I didn't know they can literally explode and cause injuries, beyond normal potential cracks. I haven't had issues before boiling but I didn't know. Never again

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 2

I live on the edge and dump boiling water on the rocks. Need some excitement round here. #YOLO

(Ok well, I put them at the bottom of a 5g bucket 1st.) After they cool off, I dump hydrogen peroxide on them. Then rinse a few times with tap water. And scrub with a toothbrush.

I think you’re ok with dumping boiling water on rocks.* They do it in saunas all the time. Heard that rocks can explode if you actually boil them though (in a pot on the stove).

*This advice is opinion. What do I know? (I survived it w/ river rocks… so far! 😝)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 10:57 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I live on the edge and dump boiling water on the rocks. Need some excitement round here. #YOLO

(Ok well, I put them at the bottom of a 5g bucket 1st.)

I think you’re ok with dumping boiling water on rocks.* They do it in saunas all the time. Heard that rocks can explode if you actually boil them though (in a pot on the stove).

After they cool off, I dump hydrogen peroxide on them.

*This advice is opinion. What do I know? (I survived it w/ river rocks… so far! 😝)

"Do what I say, Don't do what I do" 😄

Yea pouring boiling water worked for me too so far.

Team survivors 😎🍻

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:44 PM, Lennie said:

Be careful with that!

I didn't know they can literally explode and cause injuries, beyond normal potential cracks. I haven't had issues before boiling but I didn't know. Never again

While anything is possible, the danger from exploding rocks is minimal.  I place them in a pot of water and slowly bring the water up to boiling. (212 where I live) This allows for a gradual temperature change, and gases to escape gradually.  Most of the exploding rock stories arise from people placing stones in or near the 600-1600+ degree camp fire causing rapid expansion and thermal shock.