US Natives

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 4:44 PM, AquaHobbyist123 said:

They're supposed to be in the Upper catawba, but I have a hard time telling the difference between fantail and carolina fantail darters. They are so similar!

They can look like Tessellated Darters if you’re not terribly familiar with both.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:33 PM, Fish Folk said:

They can look like Tessellated Darters if you’re not terribly familiar with both.

I'm very familiar with tesselated darters, find them all the time and can identify them easily. I can easily distinguish them from fantails/Carolina Fantails. I believe that fantails have more vertical bars than carolina fantails. The problem is I really just need a photo tank to distinguish between the two in the wild. Difficult to look down in a dipnet and ID correctly for tiny darters that aren't brightly colored. I believe I have only encountered Carolina Fantails thus far, after further research. Both E. flabellare and E. Brevespinum have similar front stubby dorsal fins, which is how I can tell its one of the two. There is not much info available on Carolina Fantails though. 

I do love tesselated darters. Keep a Group of em.

Edited by AquaHobbyist123
  • Like 1

Enjoying watching these F1 Fireyblack Shiners mature. They’re difficult to acclimate if wild-caught (F0), but once they’re spawned in a tank, they’re easy to keep…

IMG_2247.jpeg.47837fdc13c09990a9b2067cbfc5f00e.jpeg

IMG_2243.jpeg.daed2a3bb7aca21751ed139884c9f83a.jpeg

IMG_2227.jpeg.e3603a680c92576da8c4adeda7acfcfa.jpeg

For comparative reference, here’s a mature, spawning-colored, wild-caught specimen — used as a banner fish for NANFA…

IMG_2256.jpeg.2e8580f85eb718c9029dbd5ea9bd2777.jpeg

And here’s some stunning footage of them in the wild…

I actually got mine from the guy who posted this footage! 

• Love 6

37 minutes ago, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Fish Folkamazing! Can’t wait for you to get some big spawns of these and start distributing them!

It's still a long wait yet. Maybe a year until they'll spawn for me. There's a technique another aquarist figured out with them. Once you get a spawning pair, isolate them in a spawning tank of ca. 29-40 gallons, he tosses in a Penguin HOB biowheel that sinks to the bottom. The FB Shiners dig down under that instinctively, and attached eggs to the ribbings in the biowheel. He lets them go at it for a while, then replaces the biowheel with a new one, and moves the one full of eggs over to an empty tank for fry to hatch. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

27 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

It's still a long wait yet. Maybe a year until they'll spawn for me. There's a technique another aquarist figured out with them. Once you get a spawning pair, isolate them in a spawning tank of ca. 29-40 gallons, he tosses in a Penguin HOB biowheel that sinks to the bottom. The FB Shiners dig down under that instinctively, and attached eggs to the ribbings in the biowheel. He lets them go at it for a while, then replaces the biowheel with a new one, and moves the one full of eggs over to an empty tank for fry to hatch. 

That's correct, that is how I bred mine also..but my males was very aggressive towards each other. I haven’t found a trait I want from them enough to want to breed them again 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I have an opportunity to get some Rainbow Dace, what say our resident native keepers? 60 g breeder kept at garage temp. Power heads on UGF and a 2217 Eheim for flow.

As long as you add air enough over 70°-F, they do well in groups. A 60 should work!

IMG_2266.jpeg.9940b0912270af0737e18577cdb1dc74.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An experiment:

I’ve noticed that, after lights-out, my Notropis chlorocephalus (Catawba Greenhead Shiners) seem to fire up red. I find this when examining with a flashlight.

So tonight, I rigged up a tiny desk lamp overnight to see if this triggers spawning.

IMG_3332.jpeg.8910364f5b52e33682ff70a8b2228ab3.jpeg

IMG_3334.jpeg.26275804013cdbfdb857d3509d1c6bac.jpeg

I do have Tessellated Darters and Fieryblack Shiners in there… maybe an unhelpful distraction, or egg-predation concern… but they are behaving much better, like they’re nearly ready to spawn.

Another thing… I’m floating a bag with a 24 oz frozen Uline coldpak…

IMG_3335.jpeg.796545c57edc4165c1694c9cecda136c.jpeg

Oh the things we breeders try 😂

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Love 3