Rimless vs Rimmed tanks

Hello guys, 

I will be purchasing a new tank soon and can't decide if to get a rimmed or rimless tank. Will a rimless tanks last longer than a rimmed tank or is it more prone for these tanks to leak?

What are your thoughts on the Ultum Nature Systems (UNS) rimless tanks? 

I've never owned a rimless tank before but I'm looking for something durable and I wanted to know what are your thoughts on rimless tanks and which do you experienced fish-keepers think is better, rimless or rimmed tanks?

Thank you in advance

Edited by Tropicalfishkeeping201

Don’t own, never have owned, a rimless tank.  

IMO they are kinda specialty items that present several challenges. If your tank stand is just a little off level, there’s no hiding it.  The rim can hide that.  If anything hard taps the edge, it could chip.  The plastic rim offers protection. But the biggest problem is the cost.  Rimless tanks are really expensive. On the plus side, they can be stunning!

• Thanks 1

I have 2 small rimless tanks, both cube shaped. Both with lids. They’re fine. They serve their purpose for those projects and I got them on sale, but I’m not going out of my way for another one and especially not a bigger one. My 50% off standard tanks are a way better value and I personally like the rim on a standard tank. 

• Thanks 2

I've kept medium sized rimless tanks. I had two of them custom made with thicker glass. 

I made sure that my stand is completely flat and levelled besides that I treated it the same as I would a rimmed tank. I think planted tanks look better rimless and I like the clean look It gives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2023 at 7:08 AM, knee said:

I've kept medium sized rimless tanks. I had two of them custom made with thicker glass. 

I made sure that my stand is completely flat and levelled besides that I treated it the same as I would a rimmed tank. I think planted tanks look better rimless and I like the clean look It gives.

Def agreed.

I have one rimmed 29g, and one rimless 50 cube.

Now having another rimless 160 Liters tank custom made with a thicker glass. I think they look much better visually, also not dependent on the frame potentially being damaged over time.

You just have to make sure to thickness of glass is ideal for the size of the tank. Some are made way too thin

• Thanks 1

I have one rimless tank, a 93 gallon cube. Rimless tank glass is thicker than a rimmed tank the same size so keep that in mind if it's going to be a larger tank. One of the biggest issues I have with mine is that I have fairly hard water, and the mineral deposits along the water line show since there is no rim to hide it like in my rimmed tanks in my fish room. I have to take a razor blade along the water line every couple weeks and scrape the line off. 

• Thanks 1

I've never had a rimless tank, and probably never will.  If you have hard water, like mine, it will leave residue at the top of the water.  I'm not a fan of continuously scraping that away, so I keep my tanks where the water level is behind the rim and it doesn't show.

• Thanks 1

UNS is a quality product and the low iron glass is beautiful. Look to Europe as rimless is quite popular their. I don't see any more stories of leaking than with rimmed. Probably the opposite honestly. 

I just bought my first rimless and couldn't be happier. Just buy plenty of Shims and take the time to get it pretty level. An auto leveling mat is needed too. I believe hardware stores sell the same style of foam that many use.PXL_20230314_204038949.jpg.42fdd5e416b67a3d5401e728347eede8.jpg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a UNS 90L (20 gal). The quality is amazing. Glass is thick and clear. I had to custom make a glass lid as it didn’t come with one. Like others have said, it’s hard to hide the calcium buildup. Especially where the sponge filter sprays a fine mist on the lid and edges. But worth the money. 

• Thanks 1

I have several rimmed tanks over 25 years old, and two stainless steel framed tanks over 50 years old. Never had a leak or blowout. Can rimless tanks be expected to last as long? Probably, but like others I think I would worry more about them. Especially with a really large one. I do admit they can look stunning, and for me cost difference would not be that much concern. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys for sharing! Really appreciate it! I haven't decided yet on which to pick and how big I want the tank yet but I was leading more towards a rimless tank because I like the look of it. I was thinking of getting a UNS 44 gallon or maybe smaller but I'm going to keep all these things in mind. Thanks again!  @Lennie@Pepere, @Andy's Fish Den, @JettsPapa, @Mmiller2001, @Stef, @Flumpweesel, and @Sweet Fish O Mine

On 3/16/2023 at 5:59 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

UNS is a quality product and the low iron glass is beautiful. Look to Europe as rimless is quite popular their. I don't see any more stories of leaking than with rimmed. Probably the opposite honestly. 

I just bought my first rimless and couldn't be happier. Just buy plenty of Shims and take the time to get it pretty level. An auto leveling mat is needed too. I believe hardware stores sell the same style of foam that many use.PXL_20230314_204038949.jpg.42fdd5e416b67a3d5401e728347eede8.jpg

This tank is awesome!! Where did you get the stand?