Hello! This is pretty much a journal for me to keep track, but you are welcome to suggest things and comment along the way, cool? Lets get it started!

I got an 85g with stand from my neighbor for free, reason was, their nephew had put a fried chicken in it. I cleaned out the canister filter, replaced media, cleaned tank blah... blah.. blah.. 

Now I have it cycling, with sand, and hornwort, unidentified carpeting species, and El nino fern. I hope to have WAYYYY more many plants than that, but still am in the collection phase. I hope to put guppies, mollies/ livebearers as my water condition does allow. 

more to be added later 🙂 After all, it is a journal!

On 3/7/2023 at 3:04 PM, AquariumCentral said:

I hope to put guppies, mollies/ livebearers as my water condition does allow. 

i reccomend skip the mollies, and go with platies instead.

allow me to explain:

Mollies are often seen as community fish, but in reality can get big (depending on the species 3-6in) and are semi agressive, and may fin nip the guppies.

You can read more about them here: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/molly-fish-care?_pos=1&_sid=be831eee6&_ss=r

platies on the other hand, max out at 3in, are very peaceful and wont bother the other fish, and are more adaptable to water parameters with many mollies being raised overseas in brackish or salt water.

You can read more about platies here: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/platy-care-guide?_pos=1&_sid=ae0c11309&_ss=r or just ask me lots of questions.

i also recommend corydoras , just as a fun bottom dweller.

On 3/7/2023 at 2:18 PM, AquariumCentral said:

Cories were not on my list, but can be considered, are they hardy?

I find them to be, but I like to wait until the tank starts to build up some mulm (so the substrate isn't so sterile) before adding them. 

I couldn't help myself yesterday... I walked into a pet supplies plus, going to see the store bird (an IRN) and I went back to look at the fish, well there was this REALLY pregnant platy, well I got her, and there was a REALLY FAT adorable cory so i got him... few hours later they are swimming in the 85g so yea.. 

I attached a photo of the tank in progress (not fully scaped, but water parameters are amazing) and the cory.. Im thinking he has a spinal deformity?? . opinons?

I can't get the photo of the cory to turn btw. also why does my tank have a yellow tint to it?

IMG_0169.jpg.b9d4837512f58416368576208b87c1ac.jpgIMG_0164.jpg.0743c84c5684f45477d465be2c9392cf.jpg

Edited by AquariumCentral

On 3/8/2023 at 11:19 AM, AquariumCentral said:

I couldn't help myself yesterday... I walked into a pet supplies plus, going to see the store bird (an IRN) and I went back to look at the fish, well there was this REALLY pregnant platy, well I got her, and there was a REALLY FAT adorable cory so i got him... few hours later they are swimming in the 85g so yea.. 

I attached a photo of the tank in progress (not fully scaped, but water parameters are amazing) and the cory.. Im thinking he has a spinal deformity?? . opinons?

I can't get the photo of the cory to turn btw. also why does my tank have a yellow tint to it?

IMG_0169.jpg.b9d4837512f58416368576208b87c1ac.jpgIMG_0164.jpg.0743c84c5684f45477d465be2c9392cf.jpg

its probably tannins in the water.

also you definetly want to get more cories, the same kind as your current one. they need to be in groups preferably 6+

are you going to move your fish from your 25gallon into here?

• Like 1

I went to the LFS yesterday, still havent gotten to do the cories, but we bought :

- 8 glofish tetras (for the shoaling or wtvr) 

- 4 guppies (males, and are SOOOO pretty, will post pics soon)

- 1 lyretail molly (it was too irrisitable heh) 

- and one swordtail (also too irristable)

On 3/8/2023 at 8:37 AM, AquariumCentral said:

What is "tannins", is it treatable/normal or bad?

Tannins are produced when driftwood or leaves decay in the tank. They are beneficial for fish and other livestock.