Center brace crack

Trop65

I just noticed a crack in my 65 gallon freshwater tank center brace. (I enclosed photos.) I'm thinking the glass is bowing. The tank is 20 years old.

I purchased a new tank but I'm not physically able to do the tank swap myself. I'm scheduling with an aquarium business but it probably won't be able to be done util next week. I am keeping track of the crack to see of it speeds.

I'm pretty nervous that it will give way before it gets serviced.

Could use encouraging words if possible!

Thank you!

20230303_152336.jpg

20230303_094122.jpg

On 3/3/2023 at 2:52 PM, Colu said:

I would lower the water level if possible to relieve some of the pressure of the glass until you can replace the tank @Trop65

yeah. 50% or lower.  Keeping it at 1/3-1/4 full is going to reduce the stress a on the tank.

On 3/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, Trop65 said:

I've got about 3" I can lower before it's too low for my hob filter. It's better than nothing though, thanks for the advice!

If you can run it off air+sponge, take the media from the filter and throw it in the tank, then run it off that until you can swap it out.

• Like 1

If it were mine, I think I would run with @Peperes Bar Clamp suggestion.  I would also add a long piece of wood lengthwise between the clamp and the glass, to spread the pressure across the glass.  I would not attempt to close the gap.  Not knowing how long the crack has been there, This would be for peace of mind until help arrives.

• Like 2

The plastic trim is likely brittle. I don’t think the glass bowing would cause a stress fracture like that. I think weight was put on top. Even as simple as a glass lid. After 20 years plastic is incredibly fragile. Good news is the center brace does little in reinforcing the glass walls of the tank.

But regardless I like @Colu suggestion. Doesn’t hurt to be cautious. Also I don’t think brown plastic was used in the early oughts? It’s usually a signpost of a tank as new as the early 90’s. Could be wrong.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 10:49 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

The plastic trim is likely brittle. I don’t think the glass bowing would cause a stress fracture like that. I think weight was put on top. Even as simple as a glass lid. After 20 years plastic is incredibly fragile. Good news is the center brace does little in reinforcing the glass walls of the tank.

But regardless I like @Colu suggestion. Doesn’t hurt to be cautious. Also I don’t think brown plastic was used in the early oughts? It’s usually a signpost of a tank as new as the early 90’s. Could be wrong.

I checked and it was bought in 1983. Great observation. Thank you for your input. I've bought a new tank and am just waiting on an appointment next week to have it switched out.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 11:03 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

It’s celebrating it’s 40th birthday this year! So exciting! Don’t worry unless the silicone is showing signs of fade you should still have plenty of life left in the tank 😊

or at least to hold you over until the new one arrives.

Funny thing is, it was a gift to me on my 40th birthday!

Thank you!

On 3/4/2023 at 11:03 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

It’s celebrating it’s 40th birthday this year! So exciting! Don’t worry unless the silicone is showing signs of fade you should still have plenty of life left in the tank 😊

or at least to hold you over until the new one arrives.

Funny thing is, it was given to me on my 40th birthday!

Thank you for the advice!