Interestingly scientists have been finding that the “mirror test” is more effective on certain fish species compared to close mammalian relatives of ours. 

Turns out intelligent beings don’t much like being subject to tests and will actively sabotage the experiments. I believe there was an infamous rat that did such things. He was a jerk.

As for the mirror test in fish I am not surprised there are many ways to reflect light in water and only a few ways in air so it seems reasonable that fish would use these mirrors to examine themselves.

• Like 1

Super interesting! I've often wondered whether fish know what they look like because I've long thought that my male platies pair off into buddy-buddy relationships with males who are the same color as they are, and I was not sure whether it was because they were from the same batch of fry, i.e. they are littermates and have just developed special friendships from knowing each other all their lives-- or whether they are selecting those who are the most similar to themselves as best buddies.

Even among my store-bought males from different color strains/stores/purchased at different times, the two "best friends" in my males tank were a red hifin and a crystal red platy. They weren't twins but were the only red/partly red fish in a tank with sunburst, blue, orange tux, and silver wagtails.

Definitely just anecdotal evidence on my part, but interesting to see this research verify that fish recognize themselves.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:30 AM, neidzwiedz said:

I came across this study from Osaka Metropolitan University today and I thought this would be the perfect place to share it.

https://www.omu.ac.jp/en/info/research-news/entry-23252.html

When the room darkens at night my TFBs often seem to spend some time staring at a blank wall.  I've wondered if they are watching their reflections in the glass.  The mirror test seems to confirm this.