Hello from Phoenix, AZ

neitherman

Hi everybody!

At the moment I am running a 29g that I originally picked up from the side of the road for free about a decade ago. It's scratched and the silicone is looking pretty rough but it still does a great job holding my fish and plants. At one point I decided I wanted the background to be red because I never see tanks with red backgrounds so I spray-painted the back glass. It looks okay but I definitely won't be doing it in my next tank.

Currently stocked with:

• 12 tiger barbs
  • 1 siamese algae eater
  • 1 synodontis nigriventris
  • 3 nerite snails
  • ~12 ghost shrimp

Everything's running on a Fluval 307 with the Aquarium Co-op prefilter sponge installed on the intake.

I've also got some anubias, tropica crypt, java fern, java moss, bucephalandra brownie, cabomba, corkscrew val, moneywort, lucky bamboo, and I believe ludwigia repens to suck all those nitrates out of the water. I was neglecting my tank for awhile (there's still a ton of algae) but I started watching some Aquarium Co-op YouTube videos and those motivated me to clean it up and make it pretty again. If I can swing the space for it I'd love to upgrade to a 55 or even 75 gallon in the next year or so and build a true aquascape in it.

Also we are trying a little aquaponics experiment here. Green onions really love fish water.

20230206_102008.jpg

20230206_102015.jpg

20230206_102034(0).jpg

Edited by neitherman
more details
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

welcome to our forum! I have heard of using red backgrounds/bottoms for Flowerhorn tanks, but sure try want you want, if anyone hates it you can just say "Have you tried it". Very nice looking tank! Im getting a "Semi Agressive" vibe from the stocking. is that Corkscrew Val in the corner?

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 11:10 AM, Theplatymaster said:

welcome to our forum! I have heard of using red backgrounds/bottoms for Flowerhorn tanks, but sure try want you want, if anyone hates it you can just say "Have you tried it". Very nice looking tank! Im getting a "Semi Agressive" vibe from the stocking. is that Corkscrew Val in the corner?

Yep, I've got a nice green lawn of it growing out front! The barbs love hiding and swimming through it. I know it's generally regarded as a background plant but it's fun watching them dart in and out.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 10:45 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

I actually really like this tank, it’s unique, personally in my hobby currently, outside of the norm is what fascinates me the most, it’s really cool

I think my favorite feature is the Dr. Seuss pom-pom tree I created by gluing java moss to that branch and letting it grow wild.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/8/2023 at 8:50 PM, Schuyler said:

Wait... You got into the hobby by seeing a free tank on the side of the road and thinking "I'll give that a try"?

Yep, it was that easy. I Grabbed that tank from the side of the road circa 2013 and started researching how to set it up once I got home. I really wanted live plants in my tank so I found and implemented the Walstad method since it was a cheap way of growing them. I ordered a starter bundle from liveaquaria.com and actually had some pretty nice plant growth (as you can see in the images) using that method but my lighting situation was dire. I was using a reef light suspended above the tank and while it worked once I switched to a planted tank LED I saw a huge difference (as to be expected).

DSC03329.JPG

DSC03258.JPG

DSC03334.JPG

DSC02951.JPG

Edited by neitherman
  • Love 1

On 2/10/2023 at 7:53 AM, neitherman said:

I really wanted live plants in my tank so I found and implemented the Walstad method since it was a cheap way of growing them

Talk about diving right in! I bet 80% of people with aquariums have no idea what that means and then out of the people who do most probably haven't even attempted that. Impressive

Edited by Schuyler
Diving not driving right in
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...