Tank life without water

tekjunkie28

I have had a Deep Blue professional 30 gallon? 33 gallon? long...   Yea idk  gallon it is. I was used as a "sump" for my reef tank for a few years. It hasn't had water in it since 2012 or 2011.  Its been sitting in the garage since then. It looks fine and the silicon feels find. Its black silicon and slightly faded but the tank has been sitting under a shelf for 10+ years out of the sun, only exposed to cold temps and warm temps.

Is this tank still good?  Glass is all fine.   

Just a quick warning. While most people insist the black silicone is stronger, I've found in my limited experience that it's not. I only had one tank with black silicone but it sprang two leaks in the first five years. My clear silicone tanks go far longer. Maybe I just got a bad tank, but I ended up tearing it down and redoing it with clear and no more problems.

Smaller tanks tend to have "lower warranties" depending on who makes them.  Something like a big box store 10g has a 1 year or 90 day warranty while a larger one will be 3-15 years. 

Depending on manufacturing technique, I would inspect the seam for any sort of tears or rips.  Discoloration means that you could have less overall strength due to material fatigue.  It might mean replacing it is a good option, but that really is hard to say.  Some things discolor due to UV (garage with windows) or will discolor because of loss of structural integrity.