Should I always have a tank going in case I need to medicate or quarantine?

Herefishie

I am a newbie and I don't understand if I should always have a tank going (empty) in case I need it for medicating. I don't plan on buying any more fish anytime soon but if I ever notice any sick fish, do I need an established tank going or can I take my small 2.5 gallon and put in RO water when/if  I need it?

TIA

I've got a 10 gallon that's supposed to be empty.  It usually has something in it (currently young swordtails I'm worming and will put in a bigger tank soon).  As long as I don't let the sponge die, it should remain able to take bioload "anytime".  But the sponge usually goes to the permanent tank when they move and I end up pulling it back in as needed or pulling one out of one of the other tanks.  My opinion is you should have at least one sponge filter in every established tank so that you have something to pull out for emergency purposes.

Worst case have prime and stability on hand and cycle it with fish in it.  Most times you're limitedly feeding fish in those situations anyway.  Change a little extra water when that's happening.

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a platy overfill tank going that doubles as a snail jail and place for plant clippings from my main tank. The platys will be all given away at some point soon and I plan to leave it up, it's out of the way and having ready-to-go plant clippings is always handy and it'll double as my hospital/monitoring tank as needed 🤕

• Thanks 1

What I have would do is have an empty tank to hand and have a spare sponge filter running in the main tank if disease pops up you can add water from your main tank to the quarantine and the spare sponge filter that will be colonize with benefial bacterial it doesn't need to a big tank 5-10 gallons depending on the size is of fish you will be treating 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is an interesting idea. My tank is Fluval 15 gallon flex. The filter media is in the hidden compartment in the back. There's one extra compartment that is empty back there so if I just put the sponge that goes on a sponge filter in that compartment and left it there, would that work if I had to utilize a quarantine tank? I'm thinking I could just take that sponge out of that compartment and put it in the Quarantine tank if the time comes?

On 1/18/2023 at 10:03 PM, Herefishie said:

That is an interesting idea. My tank is Fluval 15 gallon flex. The filter media is in the hidden compartment in the back. There's one extra compartment that is empty back there so if I just put the sponge that goes on a sponge filter in that compartment and left it there, would that work if I had to utilize a quarantine tank? I'm thinking I could just take that sponge out of that compartment and put it in the Quarantine tank if the time comes?

As long as it has some flow going though the sponge it should be fine 

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, Herefishie said:

tank is Fluval 15 gallon flex. The filter media is in the hidden compartment in the back. There's one extra compartment that is empty back there so if I just put the sponge that goes on a sponge filter in that compartment and left it there, would that work if I had to utilize a quarantine tank

Yep, that would work. I actually have a flex9, I don't think there's anything wrong with double filtering. I run an ACO nano sponge in my Flex and it is backed by an air pump that has a lithium battery- so if the power goes out the sponge filter is still going. I can also use it immediately in any QT situation. If I can do that in a 9, you can certainly do that in a 15! 

• Thanks 1