Weird Fungus on Corydoras fins

Jurrian Hering

On 1/14/2023 at 3:30 PM, Jurrian Hering said:

I noticed a weird white cloudy fungus on my Habrosus Corys fins. There’s a school of 15 or so but I’ve lost 2 yesterday and noticed 2 more with it. I’ve treated the tank with paracleanse and Marycyn. (Butchered the spelling in those lol) Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Definitely not great.  Aquarium Salt, Indian Almond Leaves, and then something like Jungle Fizz tabs or Ich-X would be the place to start for fungus issues. 

Poor little guy.

What are your tank parameters, including temperature.  What else is in the tank, anyone else having issues or showing aggression towards the corydoras?

CC @Colu @Odd Duck

Edited by nabokovfan87

On 1/14/2023 at 3:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Definitely not great.  Aquarium Salt, Indian Almond Leaves, and then something like Jungle Fizz tabs or Ich-X would be the place to start for fungus issues. 

Poor little guy.

What are your tank parameters, including temperature.  What else is in the tank, anyone else having issues or showing aggression towards the corydoras?

CC @Colu @Odd Duck

Tank is a 40 breeder heavily planted. 72 degrees. 7.4 ph 200 GH 100 KH 30 Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0 Ammonia. 

The tank houses just the school of corys and and a large colony of cherry shrimp. 

PH might be just on the edge, I'll look it up here in a second.  If it gets higher, you might have issues with the corydoras at that point.

Everything else seems ok.

Is there any chance the corydoras ran into something or was damaged via hardscape? 

https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=482

Yeah, PH could be a stress factor given this source and their parameters.

Shoot I thought it that was a bit high but would have been ok. What’s the best way to drop the pH in y’all’s experience? I’ve added some Indian almond leaves but is there anything else? 

I just moved to a new area where the pH is higher than I am used to so I’ve never had to think about this lol. 

any and all tips are very appreciated!!

I think you’ve gotten solid advice on the meds and treatment. You can make IAL or rooibos tea and add for more tannins. You can also mix in some RO water to decrease the hardness and the tannins will have more effect on the pH. 

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 2

On 1/14/2023 at 4:37 PM, Jurrian Hering said:

Shoot I thought it that was a bit high but would have been ok. What’s the best way to drop the pH in y’all’s experience? I’ve added some Indian almond leaves but is there anything else? 

I just moved to a new area where the pH is higher than I am used to so I’ve never had to think about this lol. 

any and all tips are very appreciated!!

Depending on the size of the tank, I've seen people use the 5g Zero Water filters to get "cheap RODI" type of water and remove some of the hardness.  It's probably a good route to go if you don't have a massive tank.  If you have a bigger tank, then you can sub in some RODI water to slightly drop the PH. 

I can't say PH caused this, but it's just a note and a stress for corydoras.  It can bring out illnesses and maybe this guy had some burns from PH which resulted in the secondary infections.

On 1/14/2023 at 9:01 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I can't say PH caused this, but it's just a note and a stress for corydoras.  It can bring out illnesses and maybe this guy had some burns from PH which resulted in the secondary infections.

Definitely hard to say for sure but definitely could have been a factor. Thank you for the help! 

• Like 1