Hello from a Shrimpy Guy

AlexL

Hello everyone!

I've been keeping aquariums on and off for about 12 years now, started with reef aquariums but the vast majority of my time has been with low-tech planted nano tanks. I've kept some Corydoras habrosus before (they are so adorable), but I'm not really the fish keeping type, instead my love is for invertebrates. I get excited over hitchhiking snails, but Red Cherry Shrimp in particular have been my favorite in the hobby for years.

I'm in the middle of some tank transitions, so I've been doing a lot of research for ideas so I decided to join. I recently took down at 10g planted shrimp tank in the dining room, which left me with only a 2g planted shrimp cube next to my desk, but I also plan to take it down soon. I recently started a planted vase that's still cycling, but I more importantly I just setup a dark start cycle on a 3 gallon future home of plants and shrimp will go on the bookshelf in the dining room (I'll probably start a journal on that one).

2 gallon cube:

image.jpeg.363db17c5f39534a78c55f67939c2aea.jpeg

A little Red Cherry Shrimp:

image.jpeg.6e022858fb3eff3501f674af6068b03b.jpeg

New planted vase:IMG_5115.jpeg.35a05fbb974c7fb3f05f7c7c88ab92ae.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...

@AlexL, a belated welcome to you, and that vase looks amazing. What kind of light do you have over it? I've been thinking of setting up a 5g plants and shrimp only tank on my desk at work but recently seeing people's vases has sparked an interest in using a vase instead. The curved glass is so much a part of the design in yours--looks great!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 6:34 PM, PineSong said:

@AlexL, a belated welcome to you, and that vase looks amazing. What kind of light do you have over it? I've been thinking of setting up a 5g plants and shrimp only tank on my desk at work but recently seeing people's vases has sparked an interest in using a vase instead. The curved glass is so much a part of the design in yours--looks great!

They have some pretty "affordable" nano tanks at the big box store that are oft on sale.   They do have square vases too!  I am trying to understand them and get some plants to grow.  Would be nice if I can use something as a staging for plants!

@AlexL Welcome.  How do you enjoy that light on that size tank?  Results speak for themselves, I think it looks great.  I have always been tempted to get one (or three).

On 2/6/2023 at 6:34 PM, PineSong said:

Thanks! When I initially added water to my tank I thought it looked like an odd jumble of plants, but over time I've been liking it more and more. I do think the pennywort in it doesn't look right in it, so I'll take it out once I feel like the vase has "settled" more.

The light I'm using for it is a 7W LED from Hiro Aquatics with adjustable height:

https://www.hiroaquatics.com/collections/planted-aquarium-lights/products/height-adjustable-version-full-spectrum-nano-led-light-fits-nano-tanks

On 2/6/2023 at 7:28 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@AlexL Welcome.  How do you enjoy that light on that size tank?  Results speak for themselves, I think it looks great.  I have always been tempted to get one (or three).

Are you talking about the light for the vase? I like it quite a bit, the color seems nice and the adjustable height on it lets me control how much goes into the vase but I currently have it on the lowest level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2023 at 12:58 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yep! For whatever reason I feel like the square grid of LEDs on the mount is a lot more useful than a strip of LEDs that sits on the rim directly.

Oh, the square LED is for the 2g cube, not the vase. It's the Fluval Plant Nano. The vase has the Hiro Aquatics LED light, which is circular.