Neocardinia Tank Cycling

PerceptivePesce

I ordered some Blue Dream Neocardina, and then I remembered I have a tropical tank... oops.

Would it be possible to bypass cycling a new 10g by filling it with water from my cycled 90g tropical tank, and then scavenging the 90g's sponge filter, some substrate, and plants attached to rocks? I also have some bioballs in my 90g's canister filter that I could toss in there too

On 1/5/2023 at 12:48 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

Would it be possible to bypass cycling a new 10g by filling it with water from my cycled 90g tropical tank, and then scavenging the 90g's sponge filter, some substrate, and plants attached to rocks? I also have some bioballs in my 90g's canister filter that I could toss in there too

Interesting!

Take a scoop of substrate from the big tank, toss that into a media bag in the new tank.  You can later remove it as you need to.  This could bring along "critters", but that's not necessarily a good or bad thing.  Bioballs.... YES! Add a decent handful of them to the substrate of the new tank.  Enjoy the shrimp grazing on them and using them like some sort of gladiator challenge prop!!!

Water, I wouldn't mess with, but yes, you can do that.

Make sure the new tank has an airstone and just verify any parameters you need to (PH, KH, GH, etc.)

Drip acclimate them to the new tank over a few hours, then move them in.  (if you already have, all good, just keep an eye on things very closely the next few weeks).

I would also add in some botanicals if you can.  Alder cones, IALs, etc. Just a few right now so the shrimp have that added medicinal help and food source.  Any moss or anubias would be great too in the new tank. Some plants on rocks, always good!

For your sponge filter, my technique would be to take the old filter, run that in the new tank for at least 2-3 months, and then add a new sponge to the bigger, established tank.  (Old filter in new tank, your new tank is now cycled)

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

If shrimp have as small a bioload as I think, could you just do fish-in cycling with them, with daily parameter testing and water changes as dictated by that testing? Or is their sensitivity to ammonia and nitrite so intense that they can't handle what I assume would be a very slow rise in those things?

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87The shrimp haven't shipped yet, so i have a few days to get setup, and I do plan on drip acclimating them. Also, I have some chollo wood making biofilm in my 90g, it was added a couple days ago.

@FlumpweeselMy original plan, several months ago was to get beautiful Thai oranda goldfish and shrimp.  But then I was gifted guppies and used them to cycle my 90g.  I still plan on getting goldfish, but I'm having fun watching these guppies develop as my plants sloooowly grow.  A few days ago I decided I needed to add shrimp to my nerite cleanup crew, but I had temporarily forgotten their temperature requirements. 😬  Currently, my 90g heater is set at 78*F.

@Rube_GoldfishI don't know those answers, but that is exactly what I'm worried about.  My guppies rode out the 90g cycling like Champs! I started with 2 dozen, they reproduced during cycling, and now i have like 60.  I've culled a few bent spines and I lost 3 guppies a few weeks after cycling completed.

Maybe the shrimp will be champs too?

Edited by PerceptivePesce
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 6:03 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

@nabokovfan87The shrimp haven't shipped yet, so i have a few days to get setup, and I do plan on drip acclimating them. Also, I have some chollo wood making biofilm in my 90g, it was added a couple days ago.

Perfect!

On 1/5/2023 at 6:03 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

Currently, my 90g heater is set at 78*F.

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeawwhat are.yours at? (I forget who all else has em)

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 8:03 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

. . .   A few days ago I decided I needed to add shrimp to my nerite cleanup crew, but I had temporarily forgotten their temperature requirements. 😬  Currently, my 90g heater is set at 78*F.

I have shrimp doing fine in a 78° tank.  I've been keeping them for several years, and as far as I can tell they don't really have "temperature requirements."  While of course they can't stand water that is too warm or too cold, there's a wide range where they're fine.  I have some in tubs outside that do just fine with the top of the tub iced over for several consecutive days, and I've also seen reports of people keeping them in 80°+ water.

• Thanks 2

If you use lots of hardscape plants filter media etc they will survive a new tank. I do it all the time. Usually my shrimp hitchhike in on sponge filters. 
Im uncertain why you can’t put them in your tropical tank?  Mine survive in all my tanks from 70-80 degrees. If there is lots of hiding spots they will breed and colonize. Mine survive GBR, Honey gourami, guppies, Badis badis, all types of corydora and a few other types of fish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/6/2023 at 8:51 AM, Guppysnail said:

Im uncertain why you can’t put them in your tropical tank?

Online neo-shrimp guides usually list lower temp parameters for shrimp.  Some of those guides don't even list temps which I thought was weird, but now I'm thinking that checks out after talkin with yall.

Thank @y'all for chatting with me!  I'm just gonna put em in the 90g and do my best to keep them alive!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 1/6/2023 at 10:14 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

Online neo-shrimp guides usually list lower temp parameters for shrimp.  Some of those guides don't even list temps which I thought was weird, but now I'm thinking that checks out after talkin with yall.

Thank @y'all for chatting with me!  I'm just gonna put em in the 90g and do my best to keep them alive!

Things like cholla wood or moss or sponge filters are great. They like to release their babies into it. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

Things like cholla wood or moss or sponge filters are great. They like to release their babies into it. 

Cool, I got a rock with mini Christmas moss growing on top of it, it has a hole stuffed with cholla wood, and I'll move it close to a sponge filter.  The other cholla stuffed rock has mini pellia growing on top.  I hope they like that mini pellia, because it's my favorite! 

(I'll post pics when I get home in like 8 hours)

On 1/6/2023 at 9:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I usually see cholla wood in the reptile section. Think that’s ok for underwater use?

The shrimp websites sell them for shrimp use.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, Guppysnail said:

A handful of dry hardwood leaves piled up in one corner is a good option too.  They provide hiding places and a food source.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got several neo and caridina tanks in my living room. All without a heater.
Temp going down to 57 degrees at night in winter. No problems at all.
Used to have heaters but the energy prices in Europe are insane at the moment in i've seen this video that shows temp isn't an issue

• Like 1

I personally introduced my baby shrimps (orange sakuras) to my community tank which I keep at 26 C (78.8 F?) just by drip acclimating them and keeping lights off for a while until they settle. During summer time the outside temperature rises above 40 C+ here, and I haven't lost any shrimp friends even my tank water reaches 32-33 C's.

Gotta mention that when they were younger and newly introduced, I barely saw any of them coming out until they are adults and feeling secure. As my tank was seasoned, they always had some sort of food source, including the catappa leaf in the tank. Also I have been feeding my pleco when the lights are off so they might've found a better chance of eating wafers. I keep them with schools of pygmy cories, sterbai cories, rummy nose tetras, a honey gourami, a borneo sucker and yellow zebra pleco with them. My fish never seem to be interested in them and they get along really well. They have always been increasing their population so def babies are surviving. I have lots of java moss with dense elodea anacharis, salvinia and duckweed floating on the top with other root plants like amazon sword, dwarf lily etc. They seem to enjoy spending time in the moss, hanging on the floating elodea and around the thick rhizomes of anubias! The more & dense plants you have, the higher survival rates would be I guess.

Besides water temperature, I would highly recommend to make sure your water parameters meet their requirements.

I've also tried starting a new tank with some media added from an old tank of mine, including some rocks and live plants and with dosing Seachem Stability and "seeding" the new tank by squeezing and old sponge to the new tank. I can tell that it definitely wasn't instantly cycled and took around 1.5-2 weeks to be cycled. I dont know what exactly was helpful, but it just sped up the cycling process for me compared to previous cycling experiences. 

Hope this helps.🙂

cheers,

• Love 1

@Remi de Groot& @Lennie I feel more confident, thanks for the posts.

The 90g is filled with remineralized rodi.  6-7gh, 5kh (i only add 4gh in CaSo4:MgSo4 ratio of 3:1 & 3kh k2co3- i dunno what's going on there), 200-250 tds, easy green fertz, iron gluconate, 7.9-7.8 pH.  0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. All epiphytic plants, anubias, java ferns, bolbitis, buce (may not make it), dwarf water lettuce, moss.

I added all these plants over ~6 weeks, as I added them I noticed more fry were surviving which was great because the guppy cannibalism was a bit too cringe. 🥺

My blue shrimps are here!  They were shipped on Monday.  They were supposed to be delivered yesterday but were delayed.  They are all alive and being drip acclimated.  I treated their containment water with conditioner, fritz complete, as the instructions suggested.  Treating was not listed as a step in their online instructions,  so thank heavens I had some fritz laying around.

I also ordered some faunus ater snails.  They were delivered in a plastic container with a wetted paper towel.  This threw me for a loop... I'm floating the container... I guess that's what I'm supposed to do... ?

• Like 1

I just put the snails in the tank. They're all alive and moving fast!  I've only had nerite snails before these faunus aters.  Nerites move real slow I guess.

These snails look like rabbit snails.  These guys have a kind of "hop" movement.  Is that why rabbit snails are called rabbit, because they hop?