Adding calcium for snail health

Confetto

I've had Zamboni (mystery snail) for about a week now and I believe things are going well. He has tackled a lot of the algae issue I was having and Miso (betta) for the most part, has accepted his new tank mate. I find him floating around the tank attached to my frogbit like Mary Poppins/Yondo! 

When I bought Zamboni, the CSR at my fish store mentioned nothing about feeding & care for snails - "just toss 'em in"  they said. That much I know is not true.

I'm feeding Zamboni a mini algae waffle every other day. The back wall of the tank does not get scraped so there's plenty to nibble. I know he'll need calcium for shell health... Should I get Zoo Med Nano Banquet Food Blocks or mini Magic Shell? And how often does he need them?

My alkalinity level in my 3gal runs very low - less than 40 ppm. pH is neutral, nitrite and nitrate levels are safe & the GH level is 75 ppm (soft) according to my Tetra testing strips. I have assorted anubias and a bucephalandra that I treat with Easy Green once a week. 

IMG_20221229_102555073.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I was noticing my snails getting to a certain size, then their shell would look like it was eroding and then they'd die/disappear. 

A month or 2 ago I added cuttlebone to my tanks, and no more problems. I also drop some crab cuisine in here and there, which has calcium - I think it's been good for my amanos as well. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 4:18 PM, MattyM said:

I also drop some crab cuisine in here and there, which has calcium - I think it's been good for my amanos as well. 

The crab cuisine brings everyone to the table at once in my tank...first the amanos, then the hillstreams and otos and now the endlers are picking at it 😊

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:48 PM, T. Payne said:

You can also use tums. They will eat them and use the calcium for their shells. 

I would advise against Tums. They have added ingredients (flavorings and food coloring) that you don’t necessarily want in your water. I use wondershell, cuttlebone, crab cuisine, egg shells (baked then powdered), banquet food blocks, and calcium carbonate. I put the eggshells or calcium carbonate into “Snello”, but some people put the powdered eggshells directly into the tank (powdered so no sharp edges).

Snails may not be able to utilize the calcium in spinach due to the iron, which is true for reptiles.

My snello:

01E58045-2FFF-4754-B45E-4B178BC7045D.jpeg

A37B8B7C-8D05-4F4A-A800-68472A944F37.jpeg

4D3EAED2-525B-48BA-9CFC-806ADF3992EE.jpeg

D26E63A5-8C3C-420D-809B-FB51571F93CE.jpeg

CC034B29-2198-47EF-886E-B25EF7DF981F.jpeg

474CCAE7-D1BC-41EB-92CD-B8027BEFF479.jpeg

2B86E426-B939-4AA2-9682-9C646F9E2E3A.jpeg

4477ED2E-6B79-462C-BA04-C55DBD6D2A43.jpeg

CFC7A4BE-D529-4118-8B78-9B7DF8FD9634.jpeg

0B8C15B4-E839-480C-BB34-2E4056281114.jpeg

• Love 3

On 1/4/2023 at 5:58 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I would advise against Tums. They have added ingredients (flavorings and food coloring) that you don’t necessarily want in your water. I use wondershell, cuttlebone, crab cuisine, egg shells (baked then powdered), banquet food blocks, and calcium carbonate. I put the eggshells or calcium carbonate into “Snello”, but some people put the powdered eggshells directly into the tank (powdered so no sharp edges).

Snails may not be able to utilize the calcium in spinach due to the iron, which is true for reptiles.

They certainly do have additives, with that being said, I have been using them for 20 years and have yet to have an issue.  If I am not mistaken I believe Cory has said that he has used them before as well. 

• Like 2

I would advise against Tums. They have added ingredients (flavorings and food coloring) that you don’t necessarily want in your water.

I agree completely with this statement. Calcium chips are about comparable price wise to tums and contain spirulina the snails love. Crayfish empire on their site or on eBay. Zoomed nano banquet blocks with the shrimp photo on the front. Other foods offered by crayfish empire also contain a lot of edible calcium and other important things for snails. 

• Thanks 1

My snello:

01E58045-2FFF-4754-B45E-4B178BC7045D.jpeg

A37B8B7C-8D05-4F4A-A800-68472A944F37.jpeg

4D3EAED2-525B-48BA-9CFC-806ADF3992EE.jpeg

D26E63A5-8C3C-420D-809B-FB51571F93CE.jpeg

CC034B29-2198-47EF-886E-B25EF7DF981F.jpeg

474CCAE7-D1BC-41EB-92CD-B8027BEFF479.jpeg

2B86E426-B939-4AA2-9682-9C646F9E2E3A.jpeg

4477ED2E-6B79-462C-BA04-C55DBD6D2A43.jpeg

CFC7A4BE-D529-4118-8B78-9B7DF8FD9634.jpeg

0B8C15B4-E839-480C-BB34-2E4056281114.jpeg

That looked pretty good right up until it was puréed into that greenish color. But the molds make it look adorable!

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

I put cuttlebone in my tank a couple months ago, but my single mystery snail has never touched it, that I've seen at least. Maybe it gets enough calcium from the algae wafers I've been giving him. I plan to make a simple snello soon though, should be interesting! 

• Love 1

On 1/4/2023 at 6:03 PM, T. Payne said:

They certainly do have additives, with that being said, I have been using them for 20 years and have yet to have an issue.  If I am not mistaken I believe Cory has said that he has used them before as well. 

I can second this, I use tums in my tanks and did in fact get the idea from a Cory video, it was one of those quick tip videos. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2023 at 11:19 PM, A3M0N said:

I put cuttlebone in my tank a couple months ago, but my single mystery snail has never touched it, that I've seen at least. Maybe it gets enough calcium from the algae wafers I've been giving him. I plan to make a simple snello soon though, should be interesting! 

That’s ok, it slowly releases calcium into the water for him.

easiest Snello = Repashy + calcium carbonate

cheaper = Repashy + powdered eggshells 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2023 at 1:51 AM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

I can second this, I use tums in my tanks and did in fact get the idea from a Cory video, it was one of those quick tip videos. 

It's a matter of personal preference, really.  I like to provide more natural foods for my creatures.  ie: I can give hot dogs to a dog every day and they have protein the dog needs, and the dog really likes them, but I don't feel it's the best I can do for my pet long term.

On 1/4/2023 at 6:18 PM, Guppysnail said:

Calcium chips are about comparable price wise to tums and contain spirulina the snails love

If these are similar in price, why not go for these instead of a medication made for humans?

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 1:24 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I like this @TOtrees. I'm going to try it out w/ the calcium carbonate powder. Thanks for sharing!

It’s basically repashy, but home made and way more focused on snail needs. I used to add finely grated raw carrot for carotenoids, and spirulina powder as well. 

For preparation, you can pour it into an ice cube tray or baking molds, or pour it out onto parchment paper, freeze it, then let it thaw just a bit and slice/cube it. Slicing it while still mostly frozen allows it to go back in the freezer and the pieces won’t stick to one another. Also way tidier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:13 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I like to use Soilent Green Repashy. The first ingredient is spirulina. It has high protein as well.

I was just about to ask you which repashy. Thank you!  How much caco3 do you add to a batch?  (Do you use a whole bottle of 3oz or 6oz when you make a batch?)

@Chick-In-Of-TheSeaone more question. How much water do you use? I add extra, because it's way too thick to work with using the instructions on the label.  It starts setting up before I can even wet all the powder

I've had this question in my head for awhile now:

Have yall ever frozen leafy greens and then defrosted them? I did that once, like 20 years ago.  It wilts the lettuce.  So, my question is: Instead of parboiling leafy greens, could the lettuce be stored in the freezer and fed after defrosting?  I assume the point of parboiling leafy greens is to make them tender (soggy) for easier snail munching.