6 bala shark forever home size

Phoenix1391

I have a 125 currently stocked with 6 balas and my gf’s pink gourami and common pleco. I don’t plan on keeping them in this tank as I like to heavily plant and the tank is already getting too crowded with the balas only being a year old. What tank can I somewhat easily acquire here in the Midwest US without completely breaking the bank? I am a pretty competent woodworker and can easily build the stand for it so I know that would cut the cost a bit.

• Like 1

Each of those fish, full sized, takes up a lot of room. I'm a very small fish guy, so the thought of keeping those fish just blows my mind. (I'd personally go for Paratilapia polleni or some big Viejas if I had a large tank)

customaquariums.com is in Wisconsin. Might only sell tanks too pricey for everyone's normal household budget. But if you call them -- (844) 244-8265 -- chances are they can provide you with experienced counsel. I'd ring them up and ask to speak with someone who can walk you through what you're going to need to plan for.

• Like 1

I’d shop craigslist or facebook marketplace for used 500 gallons and not look any smaller. Balas are a BIG commitment because not only do they get large, but they need swimming space to boot.

At that size it’s more practical to use acrylic over glass. With a massive weight reduction (keep in mind 500 gallons still ways around 4500 lbs) steel or aluminum for a stand is more practical with a wood overlay.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1

If you're a pretty competent woodworker then a plywood tank might be a very good option for you. There are countless "how to" videos on plywood tanks on YouTube. Aquarium Domain is currently doing a series of videos on his current 300+ gallon build and has made several tanks of over a thousand gallons using mostly wood as the building material. It's pretty easy stuff and much less expensive than acrylic or glass aquariums.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 3:04 PM, gardenman said:

If you're a pretty competent woodworker then a plywood tank might be a very good option for you. There are countless "how to" videos on plywood tanks on YouTube. Aquarium Domain is currently doing a series of videos on his current 300+ gallon build and has made several tanks of over a thousand gallons using mostly wood as the building material. It's pretty easy stuff and much less expensive than acrylic or glass aquariums.

I have started to think about a plywood tank as I remember king of diy doing some early in his YouTube career. But the aquascaper in me can’t stand that look. So I’ve also thought about building my own acrylic but I don’t know the best place to source material, or what thickness, or how much euro bracing up top it would need. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 1:34 PM, Patrick_G said:

There’s  a brand new 8’x30”x24” acrylic tank for $1999 from Tenecor. Stock tanks might also be a good and cheap option. 

Thanks, I haven’t seen this website yet. I really like the looks of it. I might just try to save up and go this route.