D.I.Y Petco Stand Upgrade

AK Aquatics

C91578FD-777F-40BF-953D-BC59DF54E7B3.jpeg.e0e6793fa42d5b827a6c75ec93ecdad6.jpeg

Finished Product. I may decide on putting a stain at a later date, or even paint it! I’ve got a running theme of black metal with wood grain furniture throughout the house.

9401485A-69AF-420E-9F73-BAF569D51C85.jpeg.16843bc1f9946fc59cf7ab7964b2e2f3.jpeg
Raw shelves w/o cube organizers. I got these pieces of wood for free from a local hardware store, they were an old shipment of 12” x 48” shelves that they wanted gone! 

415C0E6C-CC77-4E96-928B-C72098665934.jpeg.38ca3c52f434b7b4ca139b2702cc63e2.jpegNot the nicest pieces ever but since one of my cuts were already 12” it worked out perfectly! I decided to run two rip cuts for the top shelf for ease of installation.

C4ECE201-FB22-4DC7-A419-397D5C409D4A.jpeg.68cbee66bb6da27959fe08c55e5ff894.jpegHere’s the stock Petco 20/29G Stand. The whole reason I originally got this particular stand was how easily customizable it seemed. A rare DIY success for me with these fish keeping builds! 

• Like 4

On 12/29/2022 at 2:23 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Very nice. I use some of those cube organizers in my fish room. Nice to see you incorporate them into a stand. I suppose if you don’t need the shelves to hold much weight you can lay some curtain rods through the holes and set the cube organizers on those.

Thank you, am loving how they turned out! That’s a cool idea with the curtain rods I may have to try that out! 

• Thanks 1

Your stand turned out really nice! I made some quick shelves for mine out of some black particle board shelf material from Home Depot, I think. Of course it's not very strong and certainly not waterproof. I think at some point I may replace mine with some painted plywood for a more permanent solution.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 11:40 AM, Aiden Carter said:

that looks great! my stand is FAR worse then that, it literally is a shelf we put on its side and sandwiched it with two pieces of ply wood on top and bottom 

That sounds awesome!

On 1/1/2023 at 6:33 AM, Daniel C said:

Your stand turned out really nice! I made some quick shelves for mine out of some black particle board shelf material from Home Depot, I think. Of course it's not very strong and certainly not waterproof. I think at some point I may replace mine with some painted plywood for a more permanent solution.

I was leaning towards particle boards just bc they were black and could match the aesthetic better. I ended up getting these cuts of wood for free so couldn’t pass on it! Debating if I want to paint them black or stain them in the future 😁

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 12:15 PM, AK Aquatics said:

That sounds awesome!

I was leaning towards particle boards just bc they were black and could match the aesthetic better. I ended up getting these cuts of wood for free so couldn’t pass on it! Debating if I want to paint them black or stain them in the future 😁

It’s not that awesome waking up expecting there to be a hole in the floor!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 1:10 AM, Daniel C said:

I definitely agree with that. In my case the only things on the particle board shelves are a power strip, 2 air pumps, fish food, Easy Green, etc. 

I love these stands for how easily customizable they are! Love what you did with yours! If it’s a 29/20G stand I have the dimensions for the wood I used!