Bacopa Caroliniana

Don H

I had some Bacopa Caroliniana that broke free of the roots and wanted to root. I tried floating them with hit or miss luck because there are dark spots it’d get stuck in up top the way the light is.  
I put a piece in a pot with eco complete and the stem rotted and the plant floated off, so I took a different approach. I used glass marbles (aquarium safe) in a pot and it’s been about 2 months and still doing well. There’s new growth and nothing seems to be rotting. 

01A2E7A0-59B4-4920-AF15-E1C8D9EF5BC8.jpeg

CD75D2E3-1B22-4C07-BB9B-038A5894F0AD.jpeg

• Love 1

I also use a lot of pots in my tanks not just for this reason but to create visual interest in the tank. I have a lot of Bacopa and it's true, I've found Eco Complete is harder to use aquascaping tweezers to plant the more delicate stem plants- they do break off a lot. I tend to make a hole in the substrate and cover it over with the aquascaping rake. A two handed operation but I have less breakage that way. I have no issues planting them in gravel or even something like Fluval Stratum.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 2:37 AM, anewbie said:

The thing i like best about Bacopa Caroliniana is when you trim it - it has a nice minty odor; quite pleasing compared to some plants...

It's funny that you mention B. caroliniana as smelling minty, because while I don't smell mint, according to Wikipedia it's commonly known, among other names, as "lemon bacopa" because "the leaves... smell of lemon if crushed" and I don't smell that, either. Then again, I don't really have a great sense of smell, so maybe you're both right!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_caroliniana