Tanks at a crossroads

Cinnebuns

Sorry this post got long. I started to spew out all my thoughts lol. I really am at a cross roads and can't decide. 

Ok so I'm downsizing at the same time as planning a new tank. Ik, I have problems lol. Really what I think tho is that I need to downsize the breeding. Literally every tank I have has a breeding element of some kind. Even the 29 gallon main tank keeps the adult cories I breed and grow out in other tanks. I'm thinking if trying to setup a tank where I'm not tempted to breed out of and can just enjoy. 

Available Tanks

I can't entirely decide how to go about it. I see 2 routes. I have a 20T that is not complete. I have a 15L that is completely empty. I have a double stand that will fit either on top and a 10 gallon on bottom that is currently not being utilized however the 20 is already on its own stand. I have a 10 gallon that is currently housing all of my ramshorns that I am wanting to rehome after taking down all the selective breeding tanks. I also then have those 2.5-4 gallon tanks that were previously used for ramshorn selective breeding. I also have a 5 gallon that has been mostly used as a qt or hospital tank. 

So to summarize:

20T (has some fish in already), 15L, 10 (trying to rehome ramshorns), 5, 4, 2.5, 2.5

Current Fish

Some of this comes down to how I deal with the fish already in the 20T and if I'm going to continue with guppies. It currently houses 4 pseudomugil furcata (I have slowly lost them over time) and 5 female guppies, only 1 of which is pregnant. The 1 pregnant guppy has yet to drop fry. A few months ago she looked close but then the whole tank got internal parasites. She got super skinny at that time. She is looking to be pregnant again but I'm keeping my expectations cautious as I have had bad luck. If she doesn't drop anymore, I may choose to stop with breeding guppies and only keep an all male group. 

Cories

Part of me DOES want to pick up another species of cory to breed. That's the one exception in the breeding down sizing. I have found that cories have kinda become my thing along with snails. Funny because I feel like I didn't choose either but they chose me. Over the past year my enjoyment of breeding my panda cories has not once diminished but only grown. I'm considering trying a 2nd species in the 20 or 15 and then just growing out the fry right along side the pandas. 

Betta

Another idea is to get a betta. Tbh, other than their looks, I'm not entirely sure if imma betta gal. I have 2 kinda unusual reasons to want one. 1.  I wouldn't be tempted to breed it (bubble nesting doesn't particularly interest me) and 2.  I kinda wanna learn more about betta husbandry purely so I can help people online. Bettas are the most common fish for newbie fishkeepers to get. I think I could help others more if I learned about this species. Personally, I think I would enjoy an active betta with a personality far more than the inactive ones. Idk a ton about bettas, like I said, but I think that would mean a plakat? 

Rainbows

I could continue down the rainbowfish route in the 20. From a rainbiwfish group on Facebook lead by Gary Lange I learned that you can mix and match nano rainbowfish. I have considered threadfins heavily and others partially.  Maybe that's a way to finish out the 20 while also adding some bottom dwellers. 

Pea Puffer

Another idea that came to mind was 1 single pea puffer in a half-moon 4 (or 3?) Gallon tank that I have on my desk. Like I said, I already have the ramshorns. Although part of me doesn't wanna feed the colorful ones I line bred. I have been playing world of Warcraft again and therefore are on my computer a lot. It would be nice to fill a desk tank with something. Pea puffers have some fun personality right?

Nano

The last idea I LITERALLY JUST got. That's a nano tank, possibly 5 gallon, with anchor catfish and kubotai rasboras. Completely a new idea I haven't fully thought out but it sounds fun. It also sounds like breeding temptation tho too lol. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

• Administrators

@Cinnebuns Which of these would you feel you would get the most joy from, and which makes the best sense to you as far as your time available to care for the fish, the tank maintenance, and still have time to just enjoy them?

Whatever that answer is...is what I would suggest. 🙂

I can empathize with the conflicting desires to downsize and yet to add more! I've found myself in the same place. I am down from 7 tanks to 4 and while I am enjoying my tanks a lot more than when I had to sort guppy fry daily, I do keep having thoughts on the subject of what to breed next.

I'd encourage you to think about which tanks/processes give you the most enjoyment. I noticed I preferred breeding mutt guppies to my 'pure' strains because I like to see how the combinations turn out--it's more fun for me when it's not predetermined what the offspring will look like. I also really like my 2 non-breeding community tanks. Because I don't have to sort fry, I can pay attention to the plants and just enjoy the tanks without feeling like I am working against a clock.

Another factor to remind yourself: life is long and over time, you can accomplish keeping all the fish you mention...even if not all at the same time. So if you're torn between a betta and a group of other fish, know that eventually in life you can have them both, and right now you only have to pick one, not pick 'the exact right one".

On 12/26/2022 at 7:41 PM, PineSong said:

Another factor to remind yourself: life is long and over time, you can accomplish keeping all the fish you mention...

That is very true and is partially why I lean towards the betta. It's slightly silly that a huge reason I want a betta is to learn so I can help others, but that's also a reason why doing a betta now rather than later makes sense. Then I can start helping people sooner and get the other species for myself later. 

• Like 2

I know this is going to sound like a non-answer, but this is probably the best way to express it.  I feel that weight of the decision you're going through.  I'm a day behind on my maintenance, going to go ahead and get that done now.  I'll think on it.  Try to assembly my thoughts.

On 12/25/2022 at 3:14 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Available Tanks

I can't entirely decide how to go about it. I see 2 routes. I have a 20T that is not complete. I have a 15L that is completely empty. I have a double stand that will fit either on top and a 10 gallon on bottom that is currently not being utilized however the 20 is already on its own stand. I have a 10 gallon that is currently housing all of my ramshorns that I am wanting to rehome after taking down all the selective breeding tanks. I also then have those 2.5-4 gallon tanks that were previously used for ramshorn selective breeding. I also have a 5 gallon that has been mostly used as a qt or hospital tank. 

So to summarize:

20T (has some fish in already), 15L, 10 (trying to rehome ramshorns), 5, 4, 2.5, 2.5

How many other tanks are you currently running? Are you happy with those tanks?

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 8:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I know this is going to sound like a non-answer, but this is probably the best way to express it.  I feel that weight of the decision you're going through.  I'm a day behind on my maintenance, going to go ahead and get that done now.  I'll think on it.  Try to assembly my thoughts.

How many other tanks are you currently running? Are you happy with those tanks?

I am running 4 tanks after taking 4 down recently. Those 4 were ramshorn selective breeding tanks and I'm over doing that. I am happy with 3 out of the 4 tanks. The 4th one however is at a standstill while I'm changing the substrate. The process has gone on longer then I expected because the tank got a parasite and I got sick several times during the process. 

• Sad 1

On 12/27/2022 at 7:13 PM, Cinnebuns said:

The process has gone on longer then I expected because the tank got a parasite and I got sick several times during the process. 

Totally understandable, hopefully you're recovering now, feeling a bit better!

TJ is having a lot of issues with his overpopulating of snails.  Hopefully cutting some of those back helps with your upkeep too!

On 12/27/2022 at 9:21 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Totally understandable, hopefully you're recovering now, feeling a bit better!

TJ is having a lot of issues with his overpopulating of snails.  Hopefully cutting some of those back helps with your upkeep too!

I was finding problems with desire to cull and even forgetting to feed or do maintenance partially because at 8 tanks (plus a backup/qt/hospital) I had to start putting them on the ground. Being on the ground I also had to cover them with a blanket and laundry basket or my cat would mess with them. Then it was "out of sight out of mind."  Now I have this double stand so I can do the 4 tanks I already have plus 1. I think 5 would be a reasonable number for me. Especially since at least 2 of those are grow out tanks that will be at varying states of full or empty. 

On 12/27/2022 at 7:41 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I was finding problems with desire to cull and even forgetting to feed or do maintenance partially because at 8 tanks (plus a backup/qt/hospital) I had to start putting them on the ground. Being on the ground I also had to cover them with a blanket and laundry basket or my cat would mess with them. Then it was "out of sight out of mind."  Now I have this double stand so I can do the 4 tanks I already have plus 1. I think 5 would be a reasonable number for me. Especially since at least 2 of those are grow out tanks that will be at varying states of full or empty. 

When I was getting back into the hobby I would watch Cory's Vlogs and that was extremely inspiring for me.  I knew I didn't have any sort of a local shop, so breeding and selling wasn't (and probably still isn't) an option.  I had "rescue fish" from the two bedrooms down the hallway that were betta tanks that I started to fix, get regularly cleaned, and then that turned into a single "family" tank in the main living room.  The non-betta fish went into that tank and the kids got to pick a fish to add into the tank now that they had a little bit better size tank to work with.

Then it was a situation of how I wanted to have a tank for myself, a 29G tank in my room with corydoras.  That turned into a 55/29G and that turned into a few too many tanks (not much, but just too many) for me to specifically care for without help or someone reliable to support the efforts of maintenance when need be.  A lot of those nano / smaller tanks made their way into my 55G, which then became my own tank in my room next to the 29G and was a place where I could sit and relax during the midnight hours.  I would watch the tank for a little while during the night with the blue lights on and just see their behavior.  There was a variety of setups for one fish, or a variety of tanks setup because of a specific difference in parameters.

I get the feeling much like yourself, seeing someone with a "fish room" with an auto change system, maintenance on the press of a button would be nice, but it really isn't something that fits the situation or setup.  Maybe it does and that would slightly alter the advice here.

I would always limit myself to 1-2 rows on a rack and nothing bigger.  At most, I would have 4-8 tanks on a rack with one main display tank.  That rack would have tanks that aren't setup, but are specifically in place for "if something happens" and I need a place to put a fish.  I would have the rack with some method to drain / fill.  If I didn't have that setup, then I would have 2 tanks on the rack, and nothing more.  In terms of what I can "handle" no matter the size, it's 3 tanks on my own.  If tanks are in the same place, like a rack, that really does help. 

In your situation, it reminds me of wanting to have certain things to enjoy.  I wanted to have a tank for a specific fish or something I was interested in.  The nice thing though was that when I was ready (or when it made sense) everything I had chosen could be put into the 75G and become part of the community.   The fish in hand could all handle those same parameters.  Once I made that adjustment, I was a lot more happier with my setups.  Instead of tetras and bettas, I ended up with barbs, rasboras, plecos, corydoras, and river type of species. 

Whatever you end up deciding down, I would suggest that adjustment in what you keep to give yourself that option.

If you have 5+ nano tanks or 5+ tanks under 20G, maybe it makes sense to replace a lot of those with a community setup.  Maybe 1-2 40B instead of a selection of other size tanks at smaller sizes (if possible).

Current Fish

Some of this comes down to how I deal with the fish already in the 20T and if I'm going to continue with guppies. It currently houses 4 pseudomugil furcata (I have slowly lost them over time) and 5 female guppies, only 1 of which is pregnant. The 1 pregnant guppy has yet to drop fry. A few months ago she looked close but then the whole tank got internal parasites. She got super skinny at that time. She is looking to be pregnant again but I'm keeping my expectations cautious as I have had bad luck. If she doesn't drop anymore, I may choose to stop with breeding guppies and only keep an all male group. 

Livebearers in general can be rewarding, but very difficult if things get out of hand.  Similar to snails in my view.  You're going to have fry, and it's just something that leads to having all of these fish on hand.  I think re-homing those is going to alleviate a lot of load.

Betta

Really cool fish, and I can relate to what you're plan is.  It's not a fish that we have a lot of experts with, but it is something a lot of people have a pretty negative experience with.  If you do keep one, I would suggest the 15G and I would stick that tank in a place where you alone can appreciate just that fish.  Low bioload, but something where it's not a tank you mind using a bucket and spending time on maintenance when you do have to do that.  I am not a fan of community betta projects because it tends to have either the rest of the community or the betta pushing towards a disease and it's usually a question of when, not if.

Rainbows

I could continue down the rainbowfish route in the 20. From a rainbowfish group on Facebook lead by Gary Lange I learned that you can mix and match nano rainbowfish. I have considered threadfins heavily and others partially.  Maybe that's a way to finish out the 20 while also adding some bottom dwellers. 

Pea Puffer

Another idea that came to mind was 1 single pea puffer in a half-moon 4 (or 3?) Gallon tank that I have on my desk. Like I said, I already have the ramshorns. Although part of me doesn't wanna feed the colorful ones I line bred. I have been playing world of Warcraft again and therefore are on my computer a lot. It would be nice to fill a desk tank with something. Pea puffers have some fun personality right?

ACO recently dropped an article about rainbows and 2 of those fish I really, seriously want to have around.  They are a very unique body (the small rainbows) and I really like the coloration and patterning.  In terms of the hobby, it's a group of fish I think we all should keep eventually.  Given that you do have some already, that's awesome.  It's a great start to a community tank if that's a path you can go down, mentioned above.

As for the puffers, they can be a very fun fish, but my experience was very frustrating.  Difficult to keep, they need a specific scape, and are probably better as a solo fish.  I would lean towards a planted tank of something with big leaves, swim throughs, etc.  I think that your desk setup can work, but eventually you're going to wish that tank was elsewhere and not around the electronics.  If you're talking about in the room with the desk (in terms of what Zenzo has) that's one thing, but on the desk, I would suggest moving it or having just a plant tank in that situation.  Maybe plants + Shrimp if anything

Nano

The last idea I LITERALLY JUST got. That's a nano tank, possibly 5 gallon, with anchor catfish and kubotai rasboras. Completely a new idea I haven't fully thought out but it sounds fun. It also sounds like breeding temptation tho too lol. 

I wouldn't try to breed anything in there just because it's difficult to have a beautiful tank and have it dedicated to breeding.  That's my preference, but I understand that it could be a fulfilling tank.  In my head, I imagine 2-3 white clouds and not much else. Heck, maybe just a rock, some beautiful moss from Odd_Duck and then an amazing little slice of nature.  I really love the look of white clouds and would lean toward that in a small tank.  Again, not a breeding tank, but just a beautiful place to spend some time staring.

Cories

Part of me DOES want to pick up another species of cory to breed. That's the one exception in the breeding down sizing. I have found that cories have kinda become my thing along with snails. Funny because I feel like I didn't choose either but they chose me. Over the past year my enjoyment of breeding my panda cories has not once diminished but only grown. I'm considering trying a 2nd species in the 20 or 15 and then just growing out the fry right along side the pandas. 

I would love to suggest a few species if that could nudge you in the right direction at all.  If you have the ability to sell them there are a few species that can be rewarding, fruitful, and fun. 

I love @Ken Burke's Corydoras and he has a really nice selection in terms of pattern.  I do think he might have some available, but I will let you two discuss that elsewhere.  That species is always being purchased and is pretty popular, but again, I really appreciate the ones he has and they've been doing awesome with amazing colors.
4BFBE4D0-0C8A-47B1-B406-5770B51C83A4.jpeg.541bdb868e1859b4b3b77afbd128cb8d.jpeg
second choice for me would be corydoras concolor.  They are a unique, almost never found elsewhere type of corydoras.  If you want something that makes sense to sell for profit, they do, and I LOVE my black corydoras, but these ones might be my next purchase.  And just a warning, don't be fooled by the pictures online.  A lot of "black corydoras" do not have great photos online.  This one in particular on planet catfish looks washed out or newly added.  They are very similar to the ones I keep but the tail portion (body and fin) has that deep red/orange coloration when they are in full colors.
Corydoras concolor / Slate Cory : r/Aquariums
third, I would track down something like corydoras duplicareus.  Similar to pandas, but they are just a beautiful pattern.  There is a few that have a similar look, but it goes back to being a species that you could do well with and there would be some demand for if you decide to go that route.
image.jpeg.72f3525dc550175ec63a1fe4a978391b.jpeg

If you're specifically looking for a "community" type of corydoras then I would lean towards the false julii.  It's one of those species you have to literally spend a year or two growing up to really, fully appreciate how beautiful their pattern can be.  Really fun to have that aspect to a tank.  They often get overlooked because of that, unfortunately.

• Thanks 2

On 12/27/2022 at 10:57 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I get the feeling much like yourself, seeing someone with a "fish room" with an auto change system, maintenance on the press of a button would be nice, but it really isn't something that fits the situation or setup.  Maybe it does and that

Yeah not an option. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and am on disability so both space and money are issues. 

Maybe 1-2 40B instead of a selection of other size tanks at smaller sizes (if possible).

Tbh, idk that I want to go much bigger than 29. Mostly because of depth. I don't like having to reach in so deep lol. I also do have issues with my wrists and ankles so making more trips back and forth with buckets for a water change would become an issue. Right now I can make the trips but idk how my body would handle more. I kinda think I'm more of a many small tanks than a few large tanks person. Part of that also is because of my breeding obsession. The 10 gallon tanks are being used as grow outs primarily. 

Livebearers in general can be rewarding, but very difficult if things get out of hand.  Similar to snails in my view.  You're going to have fry, and it's just something that leads to having all of these fish on hand.  I think re-homing those is going to alleviate a lot of load.

I tend to agree. For some time now I've been considering stopping with guppies. I actually haven't had fry for several months but that's mainly due to several other issues. Right now my 1 pregnant female does seem to have her pregnancy progressing but she's kinda old to be having her first fry so who knows. She's like 6 or so months old. If she drops she drops and I'll care for them but I'm thinking I'm not gonna push for more in the future. 

Low bioload

Agreed. I think that's the key if I do the betta in the 15, which is where I'm leaning. I need to not stock it as heavily as my others so it's a low stress tank. I am considering adding a different cory species to it than pandas and breeding them along side the panda fry but nothing else other than maybe some snails is my thoughts. 

I am not a fan of community betta projects because it tends to have either the rest of the community or the betta pushing towards a disease and it's usually a question of when, no

Do you mean because of temperature differences?  That was a thought if mine since bettas like it hot. 

but eventually you're going to wish that tank was elsewhere and not around the electronics. 

This absolutely has been a fear of mine lol. The tank in question has been on the desk for several months already as a ramshorn colony tank but it still makes me nervous. 

After talking to a friend today I've basically decided on putting a betta in the 15. The 20 still needs a lot of work too but is in hold until I change the substrate. I need to decide on if the betta is having tank mates, like cories, or not and if so what. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 9:15 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Tbh, idk that I want to go much bigger than 29. Mostly because of depth. I don't like having to reach in so deep lol. I also do have issues with my wrists and ankles so making more trips back and forth with buckets for a water change would become an issue. Right now I can make the trips but idk how my body would handle more. I kinda think I'm more of a many small tanks than a few large tanks person. Part of that also is because of my breeding obsession. The 10 gallon tanks are being used as grow outs primarily. 

Even using a 29G.... are you able to use the bigger trashcan on wheels for wastewater so you're not lifting buckets?  As an aside, that might really, really help to refill or drain tanks and relieve some mechanical strains for you.

If you can handle something like that, or use a python, then maybe that tank makes sense.  Depth and hand use, reach issues, I totally understand that.  I think if you can work well in a 20L then having a "bigger tank" just gives you more room.  To your point, a 40B might not be the best choice, but maybe the better choice would be the new 60B size.  It's the same dimensions as a 75G, but not as tall.  Second to that would be something the size of a 55G, but not as tall.  I think that's a 30L but I'd have to check the sheet.  Those are a pain to find locally for me and I can't imagine it's any easier for anyone else.  I recommend something like that because while it might seem daunting at first, it's actually a lot easier to maintain.  Parameters are much more stable, it's got more room for you to reach and give yourself distance to clean things.  Using something like a "large size" python siphon as opposed to the medium is the only real difference.  The extension tube is a few inches longer to give you the reach.  Your actual work doesn't much change, just a bigger rug to go over so to speak.  I am understanding of your situation, I just wanted to clarify / mention that.  I spend about 3-4x the amount of time and effort working on my 29G tank when I do maintenance compared to the bigger ones because it is so difficult to get into tight spaces.  With the bigger tank, yeah plants might be more prevalent, but that can be avoided as you see fit.  You spend more time waiting for the pump / siphon to drain, but the actual labor is a lot less time.  Hopefully that makes sense and slightly easier.  Maybe others can comment and share their experiences as well 🙂 .

On 12/27/2022 at 9:15 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Do you mean because of temperature differences?  That was a thought if mine since bettas like it hot. 

Yep, exactly.  A betta only tank is so easy.  Literally hand scoop or move the fish to a specimen container, do your thing, and then you can gently put the fish back.  Any work you do is very low stress, it's the fish equivalent of a zen garden with your own little dragon.  Obviously there's no need to remove the fish and I love Pecktec's method of using a gallon jug for water changes.  He sticks the siphon hose in the handle to hold it from popping and it works very well. 

• Thanks 1

When I was getting back into the hobby I would watch Cory's Vlogs and that was extremely inspiring for me.  I knew I didn't have any sort of a local shop, so breeding and selling wasn't (and probably still isn't) an option.  I had "rescue fish" from the two bedrooms down the hallway that were betta tanks that I started to fix, get regularly cleaned, and then that turned into a single "family" tank in the main living room.  The non-betta fish went into that tank and the kids got to pick a fish to add into the tank now that they had a little bit better size tank to work with.

Then it was a situation of how I wanted to have a tank for myself, a 29G tank in my room with corydoras.  That turned into a 55/29G and that turned into a few too many tanks (not much, but just too many) for me to specifically care for without help or someone reliable to support the efforts of maintenance when need be.  A lot of those nano / smaller tanks made their way into my 55G, which then became my own tank in my room next to the 29G and was a place where I could sit and relax during the midnight hours.  I would watch the tank for a little while during the night with the blue lights on and just see their behavior.  There was a variety of setups for one fish, or a variety of tanks setup because of a specific difference in parameters.

I get the feeling much like yourself, seeing someone with a "fish room" with an auto change system, maintenance on the press of a button would be nice, but it really isn't something that fits the situation or setup.  Maybe it does and that would slightly alter the advice here.

I would always limit myself to 1-2 rows on a rack and nothing bigger.  At most, I would have 4-8 tanks on a rack with one main display tank.  That rack would have tanks that aren't setup, but are specifically in place for "if something happens" and I need a place to put a fish.  I would have the rack with some method to drain / fill.  If I didn't have that setup, then I would have 2 tanks on the rack, and nothing more.  In terms of what I can "handle" no matter the size, it's 3 tanks on my own.  If tanks are in the same place, like a rack, that really does help. 

In your situation, it reminds me of wanting to have certain things to enjoy.  I wanted to have a tank for a specific fish or something I was interested in.  The nice thing though was that when I was ready (or when it made sense) everything I had chosen could be put into the 75G and become part of the community.   The fish in hand could all handle those same parameters.  Once I made that adjustment, I was a lot more happier with my setups.  Instead of tetras and bettas, I ended up with barbs, rasboras, plecos, corydoras, and river type of species. 

Whatever you end up deciding down, I would suggest that adjustment in what you keep to give yourself that option.

If you have 5+ nano tanks or 5+ tanks under 20G, maybe it makes sense to replace a lot of those with a community setup.  Maybe 1-2 40B instead of a selection of other size tanks at smaller sizes (if possible).

Really cool fish, and I can relate to what you're plan is.  It's not a fish that we have a lot of experts with, but it is something a lot of people have a pretty negative experience with.  If you do keep one, I would suggest the 15G and I would stick that tank in a place where you alone can appreciate just that fish.  Low bioload, but something where it's not a tank you mind using a bucket and spending time on maintenance when you do have to do that.  I am not a fan of community betta projects because it tends to have either the rest of the community or the betta pushing towards a disease and it's usually a question of when, not if.

ACO recently dropped an article about rainbows and 2 of those fish I really, seriously want to have around.  They are a very unique body (the small rainbows) and I really like the coloration and patterning.  In terms of the hobby, it's a group of fish I think we all should keep eventually.  Given that you do have some already, that's awesome.  It's a great start to a community tank if that's a path you can go down, mentioned above.

As for the puffers, they can be a very fun fish, but my experience was very frustrating.  Difficult to keep, they need a specific scape, and are probably better as a solo fish.  I would lean towards a planted tank of something with big leaves, swim throughs, etc.  I think that your desk setup can work, but eventually you're going to wish that tank was elsewhere and not around the electronics.  If you're talking about in the room with the desk (in terms of what Zenzo has) that's one thing, but on the desk, I would suggest moving it or having just a plant tank in that situation.  Maybe plants + Shrimp if anything

I wouldn't try to breed anything in there just because it's difficult to have a beautiful tank and have it dedicated to breeding.  That's my preference, but I understand that it could be a fulfilling tank.  In my head, I imagine 2-3 white clouds and not much else. Heck, maybe just a rock, some beautiful moss from Odd_Duck and then an amazing little slice of nature.  I really love the look of white clouds and would lean toward that in a small tank.  Again, not a breeding tank, but just a beautiful place to spend some time staring.

I would love to suggest a few species if that could nudge you in the right direction at all.  If you have the ability to sell them there are a few species that can be rewarding, fruitful, and fun. 

I love @Ken Burke's Corydoras and he has a really nice selection in terms of pattern.  I do think he might have some available, but I will let you two discuss that elsewhere.  That species is always being purchased and is pretty popular, but again, I really appreciate the ones he has and they've been doing awesome with amazing colors.
4BFBE4D0-0C8A-47B1-B406-5770B51C83A4.jpeg.541bdb868e1859b4b3b77afbd128cb8d.jpeg
second choice for me would be corydoras concolor.  They are a unique, almost never found elsewhere type of corydoras.  If you want something that makes sense to sell for profit, they do, and I LOVE my black corydoras, but these ones might be my next purchase.  And just a warning, don't be fooled by the pictures online.  A lot of "black corydoras" do not have great photos online.  This one in particular on planet catfish looks washed out or newly added.  They are very similar to the ones I keep but the tail portion (body and fin) has that deep red/orange coloration when they are in full colors.
Corydoras concolor / Slate Cory : r/Aquariums
third, I would track down something like corydoras duplicareus.  Similar to pandas, but they are just a beautiful pattern.  There is a few that have a similar look, but it goes back to being a species that you could do well with and there would be some demand for if you decide to go that route.
image.jpeg.72f3525dc550175ec63a1fe4a978391b.jpeg

If you're specifically looking for a "community" type of corydoras then I would lean towards the false julii.  It's one of those species you have to literally spend a year or two growing up to really, fully appreciate how beautiful their pattern can be.  Really fun to have that aspect to a tank.  They often get overlooked because of that, unfortunately.

Thanks for the complement!  I do have several corydoras (panda, sailfin) so I could help a friend out.  I also have a boatload of BNPs.  Several are near adult size, with males starting to show their beard.  Currently my hobby is on maintenance mode while I spend time with other fall/winter pursuits. After deer season, well more like early spring, I gravitate back to spending time with my fish.   I find allowing things to ebb and flow helps with prevents burnout.  

• Love 1