Protection and operation of aquariums before and after an earthquake

Matt B

This early morning earthquake we just had here in Humboldt County made me realize just how vulnerable aquariums can be during and after an earthquake. Fortunately other than sloshing water and floating plants out onto the floor, there was no damage. Wanting to avoid an electrical problem, I  unplugged power strips because of the water and dried everything.

I have several battery backups that I use for other things, so I've hooked them up.

My question to everyone is what preparations do you take for an earthquake? Stabilizeing aquariums, equipment and supplies?

How do you deal with long power outrages?

20221105_105016.jpg

I'm in So Cal, so earthquakes are always in the back of my mind. For stabilization I've installed wall anchors to keep my shelves from tipping (also heavier items on the bottom most shelf (substrate, rocks, wood etc.), I figure if those rip out I have bigger issues to worry about. As far as power, I have a 100W back up battery pack, which I hope is enough to run emergency air to my tanks if needed. Then I save all the insulated packaging I get, that foil wrapped bubble wrap looking stuff, so if needed I can wrap my tanks with it and throw a heavy towel or blanket over. If worst comes to worst we have a big gas powered generator in the back with the wall socket installed in the side of the house for emergencies, again if it comes to that I feel like ill have bigger problems.

• Like 1

I would make sure no hardscape in the tank can fall over or off (if you have any stacked) . That way it can't crack the tank or squash inhabitants. Make sure I have good amount of play on cable and hose lengths so my drip loops remain effective.

Don't have anything that can land on/in a tank from above.

Earth quakes are rare here and generally of the confusing nature rather than destructive.  

• Like 1

The last big one we had, my 75G has 4-8" waves.  The tank was low, probably something to keep in mind.  It wasn't up to the edge of the rim and that probably saved it.  I ran to the tank, floor was wobbling all over the place like I was on a roller coaster and I was trying to stabilize the tank (no idea if this was the right move).  Having good lids really helps. Especially glass ones that are heavy and can hold themselves in place.

Some people put the wood around the top surface to keep things from sliding as easily, like this:
Monterey Stand | Marineland®

Make sure you have a rubber mat to do the same thing, especially on a bigger tank. This is my biggest gripe with stand manufacturers with regards to (at least locally) how tight the fit is on the top of the stands.  I mean, at least give me 1/4" all the way around or something. We don't need to have this tight of a fit on the edge of the rim.

As far as emergency equipment.
-wet/dry vac
-towels
-buckets/tubs
-usb air pumps + power banks (they last multiple days per change whereas others that go from AC/DC will only last hours.

This means your major issue is going to be heating the tank.  The only real way to accomplish this is going to be heating the room or water changes.  Potentially fish selection becomes a consideration if you're in a place at risk.

On 12/20/2022 at 11:17 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I would make sure no hardscape in the tank can fall over or off (if you have any stacked) . That way it can't crack the tank or squash inhabitants. Make sure I have good amount of play on cable and hose lengths so my drip loops remain effective.

very good tip.

On 12/20/2022 at 7:59 AM, SugarBassJoe said:

If worst comes to worst we have a big gas powered generator in the back with the wall socket installed in the side of the house for emergencies, again if it comes to that I feel like ill have bigger problems.

Definitely something to have on hand.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

No earthquakes here but during with the aftermath of no power. During Hurricane Ian for two weeks I would repeat a generator or solar powered pumps. I would add having enough food and supplies to treat disease outbreaks that don’t need to be refrigerated for at least 2 weeks. I am sort of going off the hurricane because I have no earthquake experience. The aftermath was the hardest. No power, no way to get supplies you need. I felt I had what I needed for the long lost of power and I was not. I was lucky to have a neighbor that ran a generator a few hours a day. Planted tanks with deeper substrates did the best. Bare bottom tanks didn’t do as well. I wish I had more solar air pumps. I have several more now. That I can run sponge filters. I also now have a small generator to run the fridge and tanks on a rotating basis. I did learn that my fish are much hardier than  thought. I do believe that aquarium pads would probably help with the motion of the water. Lids I would also agree would be important. The closest I can use as reference is I had a 220 out by the pool and the wind started a cyclical wave that made me think the tank would break. I emptied the tank to half be fore but I don’t know that it was a good idea. The waves were to the point that they went out  of the tank. That tank is on a stand that has a 4inch edge up the side of the tank so the You can’t see the substrate. It did help the tank from moving. It also sat on a pad to take the shock of the wind which we get daily in the summer. I believe the edge and pad helped the tank survive 

• Like 1

Under my tanks I have taken 1/4 "  floor runners and cut them to fit. I did this more to help with the slight uneven surface of the old chest of drawers it sits on. And to possibly help dampen vibrations.. Now I'm thinking it  may help keep the tanks from sliding during the shaking of a quake. 🤔

20221221_175651.jpg

20221221_175919.jpg

Yes, the warning is literally just seconds!   Plenty of time to prepare...😄    Of course the farther you are away from the epicenter the more time, but still just a few seconds.  

Like many others, It's an alert system that needs development.  But because we know so little about what the Earth is going to do, it's hard to imagine it ever being very usefull .

Prepare for the worst , Hope for the best! 

It does let you know, that yes, that was an earthquake and not a bomb going off in the backyard. 🥴

On 12/26/2022 at 11:23 AM, Matt Butzin said:

That reminds me:

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm an aquarium half full or an aquarium half empty kind of person. 🤔  😄

depends how big the earthquake is, it could be both half full and half empty in seconds.🤪 been a long time since ive been in an earth quake, but all you can do is prepare. quakes can have a lot of shaking, or big movements, or both. its really hard to relate unless you see it or feel it.

• Like 1

The typical earthquakes we get around here (South Jersey) are the bang type with minimal shaking. You hear/feel a loud bang and a quick shake, but that's it. It's like a nearby explosion. By the time you're ready to react, it's done. The 2011 earthquake that was south of DC was felt here and was more of a conventional earthquake with prolonged shaking and sort of a rolling action. It made waves in my tanks and lasted a fair amount of time. (Ten to twenty seconds maybe?) There's not a lot you can do to make a tank earthquake safe. A big quake will create chaos.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright, no more messing around! :classic_cool:

With earthquakes, windstorms and now, winter snow storms knocking out power. We broke down and bought a generator!  Sure, it's for heat and stuff for the humans, but the creatures in the glass boxes are loving it. :classic_laugh:

20230113_141657.jpg

20230220_111748.jpg

• 9 months later...

I wanted to share this for the sake of it potentially helping out someone in the future.  I've been in the middle of it and thank goodness everything was "ok".

Japan just had the earthquake hit yesterday morning and it was a pretty sizeable one.   The duration of it was similar to the one I had experienced locally and it just goes to show you that there are certain things you can do to make the tanks a bit more equipped in the case of something like this happening.  If you want to see some of the clips, CNN has a video showing an office building video that was taken.  Essentially, little things like keeping the waterline a little lower or buying a tank with a very big piece on the top to hide the lowered waterline, might be helpful.  Certain heft of lids, stand construction, and all of those things definitely play a role. 

One other thing I would note is power placement, mentioned above in the thread, making sure things won't get splashed or that if they do it won't pool in the socket and cause further safety issues.

Ryo's stands, he just had a video a few days prior showing them built, talk about SOLID.  They are 4x4 beams and some really cool specialty saws used to construct and cut out the connection points. 

Edited by nabokovfan87
grammar
  • Like 1