Has anyone modified a HOB filter output?

Cast Autumn

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone on here has ever modified a HOB filter output so that it deposits water more in a fan shape instead of a direct waterfall dump into a tank? The filter I am using on my planted 10 gallon works very well in filtering and keeping the tank aerated as it is intended for a larger tank, but because of its size it produces a lot of current that sweeps forward and smashes into the glass. This creates an area of flow in my tank that my cherry barbs have to work really hard in and therefore, they do not like going in that area very much. I would like them to be swimming around the whole tank more instead of close towards the bottom on only one side. I shifted the filter from the right side to the middle position and they really did not seem to like that so I put it back to where it was before. My thought would be that somehow modifying the output area to fan the water out and distribute it across a greater surface area would maybe achieve a different result in the tank. 

What do you guys think? Any ideas or suggestions? 

On 12/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, MrWestCoast said:

Those baffles are awesome, I wanted something like this but didn't know what to search for. Thank you!

You can make a DYI baffle out of a water or soda bottle and attach it to the output. I would also add an pre-filter sponge on the intake.  Now how to describe how to make the baffle. Lol.

1. Measure your output width.

2. Take a clean plastic bottle and cut it to fit your output width. 

3. Tape it to your output on HOB.

I'm going to attach some pictures of one I made for a Betta.

20221218_134052.jpg

20221218_134102.jpg

20221218_134130.jpg

20221218_134155.jpg

On 12/18/2022 at 5:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea and @TeeJay have if you're specifically asking for a bit of feedback on how it performs for them.  In both cases they used the etsy offerings for their specific HoBs.

Mine works great. He custom makes them based on your needs. I told him I keep a lower waterline, and he made a baffle for that.

BE591EAD-278F-4810-80CB-CBF7DDAEB706.jpeg

• Like 1

I used a suction cup soap dish. I've seen people do that with marbles and/or moss, but I didn't have any moss; I just used bio rings and small lava rocks. It helps diffuse the flow a little and probably adds a bit of surface area to the biofilter, but I'm speculating on that last part. It might not look as nice as some of those other options, though.

14975516125318p?$690$&wid=690&hei=690

Oh yeah, you can buy baffles specific to your filter on etsy. Theyre 3D printed and many different types that do different things. I have a few that redirect the flow to back of the tank, simply lighten flow, change direction, etc. The ones I have are aquaclear specific but I believe the seller I bought from had a couple different brands.. tidal comes to mind.