Shy Chili Rasbora - Do I need more? How many more?

evilgenius

I have a 6g aquarium setup in my office and about a week and a half ago I brought in 6 chili rasbora. They are still shy and hiding. I've added a couple more plants in the hopes that would make them a little more comfortable, but no. Not really. Pretty much the only time I see them is when I feed them. 

I was wondering if a larger number of chilies would help and any suggestions as to how many would be good in such a small tank.

6g-office-chilies-11-15.jpg

6g-office-chilies-11-15-wide.jpg

On 11/15/2022 at 6:28 PM, evilgenius said:

I have a 6g aquarium setup in my office and about a week and a half ago I brought in 6 chili rasbora. They are still shy and hiding. I've added a couple more plants in the hopes that would make them a little more comfortable, but no. Not really. Pretty much the only time I see them is when I feed them. 

I was wondering if a larger number of chilies would help and any suggestions as to how many would be good in such a small tank.

6g-office-chilies-11-15.jpg

6g-office-chilies-11-15-wide.jpg

Beautiful scape! I would recommend a couple more, as long as the bio load isn’t too much. There’s one forum member (can’t remember who!) who’s done 13 in an 8 gal… maybe orientate yourself on that.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, evilgenius said:

Thanks. I love the scaping part of the hobby. 

For the fish I was thinking I might get away with another 6, but I was hoping to bounce that off of others that have more experience with these fish.

Off the top of my head I can’t think of who to ask… give me a sec!

@brandonnaturally, springs to mind as a store employee, and maybe @Fish Folk?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input!

Turns out the fish are not chilis. They are ember tetra so I'll have to pull them out soon. I'm in no hurry because I'm sure I'll have to pull the tank apart to catch them all. I added a trio of endler live bearers over this weekend. 

Embers are very small. I have 7 in a 9 gallon with 8 Guppies and Endlers, a Hillstream and 1 Betta (also one large Nerite). They take up no room and have almost no bioload it's so slight. If you got them from the big box store and you wanted Chilis you could likely take them back. I really like my Embers though- they are the eye of the storm in my tank. 

They're not going to get much bigger than what I can see there. And yes, those are DEFINITELY Embers. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Embers are very small. I have 7 in a 9 gallon with 8 Guppies and Endlers, a Hillstream and 1 Betta. They take up no room and have almost no bioload it's so slight. If you got them from the big box store and you wanted Chilis you could likely take them back. I really like my Embers though- they are the eye of the storm in my tank. 

Good to know, though I'd personally call that overstocked. I could take them back except no has chilis. Even Flip Aquatics is sold out. I have plenty of space for them in other tanks if I do end up taking them out of the nano tank. 

Yes most people (and the internet) would call my tanks overstocked. But I have zero water parameter issues, my fish are healthy, active and are not crowded. I have Otos that spawn and I don't know any other hobbyists that do (personally- of course you can find stuff on the internet- though nobody on this forum has claimed to have them either). There are 60+ of them in that tank (a 20 gallon). So really it's just a balance of bioload, filtration, size, species and what you want your level of maintenance to be. As it is I can leave my tanks for a few days without maintenance and they're good. The only reason I do daily maintenance on my Oto tank is to clean up their left over food (they are messy things). 

If you didn't want them I'm sure the store would give you credit. Chilis would come back in stock sooner or later. 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 1:29 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

... I have zero water parameter issues, my fish are healthy, active and are not crowded.

That's all that really matters isn't it? Everything else is just window dressing... 

I'm more of an aquascaper than a fish keeper, but there are so many fish - so little room for new tanks.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, evilgenius said:

That's all that really matters isn't it? Everything else is just window dressing... 

Absolutely correct, that goes for plants too, when you're an aquascaper! 

On 11/29/2022 at 12:08 PM, evilgenius said:

so little room for new tanks.

This is the root of all our problems! 😄

• Like 1