Does culturing vinegar eels stink?

Schuyler

If you do it in a long necked bottle as recommended, with floss dividing fresh water on top from vinegar in bottle, then cover gently with paper towel cap, stick someplace quiet - e.g. back / top shelf of a cupboard - then no, it won’t stink.

But… my friend… if you spill it… 😷

• Haha 3

On 11/14/2022 at 3:34 PM, Fish Folk said:

If you do it in a long necked bottle as recommended, with floss dividing fresh water on top from vinegar in bottle, then cover gently with paper towel cap, stick someplace quiet - e.g. back / top shelf of a cupboard - then no, it won’t stink.

But… my friend… if you spill it… 😷

And be sure not to accidentally drink it..........that's tangy! 😂

• Haha 2

I have liquid vinegar eel cultures as back up in long necked bottles with a small square of old sheet over the tops and don’t notice any odor at all from them.  I also have high density vinegar eel cultures done almost like microworms but with half vinegar as the liquid.  These are in deli cups with the fabric covered perforated lids.  There is also very little odor from them although you get a whiff when you open them. But I keep these in my rack, not closed up in a small space.  If the faint smell of the vinegar were confined in a small space, it might be more noticeable.  I haven’t tried it that way.

Microworms will give you a faint odor of alcohol/fermentation when you pop the lid (I use the same deli cups with the fabric covered, vented lids), but again, it dissipates rapidly in an open room with an open door.

• Like 1