Low Light Plants for a divided 10 gallon tank that won't overgrow and crowd the tank

Hi everyone! 

New to planted aquariums. I want to add some plants to my betta tank. It is a 10 gallon divided tank. With that, I have only 5 gallons to work with. How many plants can I put in? Any recommendations? Was looking at java fern, anubias, and I have 4 moss balls already. I just do not want to buy too many and not have room for them. Plus plants grow and fill in the tank correct? I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Should I get one java fern and one type of anubias? Qas also looking at Cryptocoryne Lucens. I should also mention they need to be low light plants. Thanks! I already have the easy green all in one fertilizer. 

Thanks a million,

Brittany

2 minutes ago, Brittany H said:

Hi everyone! 

New to planted aquariums. I want to add some plants to my betta tank. It is a 10 gallon divided tank. With that, I have only 5 gallons to work with. How many plants can I put in? Any recommendations? Was looking at java fern, anubias, and I have 4 moss balls already. I just do not want to buy too many and not have room for them. Plus plants grow and fill in the tank correct? I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Should I get one java fern and one type of anubias? Qas also looking at Cryptocoryne Lucens. I should also mention they need to be low light plants. Thanks! I already have the easy green all in one fertilizer. 

Thanks a million,

Brittany

In my tank I have anubias nana petite, java moss, marimo moss balls & actually a bit of water sprite & moneywort.  It's a bit tight at times, but easily customizable.  Plants will be a matter of personal preference, to a certain extent.

• Like 1

anubias would be fabulous, for basically not growing fast and still looking consistently great. Also crypts.

Java Fern sometimes does really well for me, sometimes it throws off so many babies that it sort of gets crazy for me. I recently found, at petco of all places, an Asian bolbitus fern that I like the look of, but I am not sure how it will progress over time.

I also have a madagascar lace bulb in a 5g portrait tank that I kinda LOVE very much. I put just it in there with some dwarf hair grass, so far it is not overwhelming the space, but it might eventually. 

• Like 1

Bettas love heavily planted tanks, the greener, the better. Anubias, Java fern and mosses would be great. The plants don't even have to be in/on the substrate as in the small tank the floor space is so limited. I have an anubias with medium-sized leaves attached to the side of the tank near the surface (suction cups work great for that). The leaves make awesome betta hammocks, they grow very slowly and require very little light and maintenance. Highly recommended.  

• Like 1