I was looking at my aquarium and noticed one of my wcmm struggling to stay up in the water column. I put a cube of freeze dried brine shrimp (all my fish love it even my cories become upside down catfish to get some! And some times they gorge them selves so much that they begin to slightly float do to the food; so I was trying to negate the fishes negative buoyancy) but wouldnt you know it all my fish (including my nocturnal adf are up and eating it) besides my wcmm who is in the corner sitting there, all my fish were okay yesterday; but im not sure if its a trick of the light/eye but it kind of looks like that it has a dark spot (it isnt normally there) help!!

IMG_E1091[1].JPG

IMG_E1093[1].JPG

IMG_E1094[2].JPG

Possible injury looks like he might have dropsy with the pineconing what I would do if you can is quarantine and treat with kanaplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days if not eating dose the tank that will treat any possible internal bacterial infection follow up with a course of metroplex that treats aeromonas a common cause of dropsy and do Epsom salt baths 1 table for 2 gallons  for a couple of days that will help reduce the fluid buildup and acts as a muscle relaxant to relieve pressure on the swim bladder @Aiden Carter

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

On 10/29/2022 at 8:03 PM, Colu said:

Possible injury looks like he might have dropsy with the pineconing what I would do if you can is quarantine and treat with kanaplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days if not eating dose the tank that will treat any possible internal bacterial infection follow up with a course of metroplex that treats aeromonas a common cause of dropsy and do Epsom salt baths 1 table for 2 gallons  for a couple of days that will help reduce the fluid buildup and acts as a muscle relaxant to relieve pressure on the swim bladder @Aiden Carter

IMG_20220714_201326.jpg

im fairly certain it is non viral/ bacterial as I havent done anything differently for months (it was showing no symptoms yesterday/ did not have the wound), personally I think it got hurt, swim bladder ruptured, fluid filled insides; creating pine coning, also due to my parents being strict on spending I cant buy much and am not allowed to set up a quarantine/ hospital tank : (

• Sad 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:19 PM, Aiden Carter said:

also due to my parents being strict on spending I cant buy much and am not allowed to set up a quarantine/ hospital tank : (

You can use a bucket with an airstone or a tupperware container if you have one available for use.  Getting the fish as close to the water surface without agitating them with too much flow is going to help a little bit to relieve pressure.

If you're talking a full on rupture, the fish probably jumped and then did some severe damage on the hardscape or lid of the tank causing the issue.  It does happen and I don't know if that is something that can be repaired over time.  If the fish is continuing to suffer I would suggest to put it out of it's misery.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:24 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

You can use a bucket with an airstone or a tupperware container if you have one available for use.  Getting the fish as close to the water surface without agitating them with too much flow is going to help a little bit to relieve pressure.

If you're talking a full on rupture, the fish probably jumped and then did some severe damage on the hardscape or lid of the tank causing the issue.  It does happen and I don't know if that is something that can be repaired over time.  If the fish is continuing to suffer I would suggest to put it out of it's misery.

I don’t think I can even do the bucket (I have 3 spare tanks) i think the fish is pretty far gone (it barely moves and has a large wound) how would I painlessly euthanize it