Plant ID

Hey everyone!  

I'm curious as to what this plant is. I bought a bag of it at auction labled "red root floaters". I didn't look at it before bidding but when I received it, they were way smaller than any red root floaters I've ever seen. 

Any ideas?  They kind of look like the giant duckweed I have in a different tank except for the red undersides. 20221028_110408.jpg.e641b5913849beda5058b0af74e2750d.jpg

20221028_110307.jpg

I don’t know what they are but they are definitely not red root floaters.  Even if they’re not getting enough light to be red (see the green streak where the opaque lid hinge blocks the light?), red root floaters don’t look or grow anything like that.

D8355486-78A0-4148-A68C-9AEE037CB53D.jpeg

If you look close at the edges you can see some new leaves.  Red root floaters don’t grow in clumps like that.  Even when the leaves are growing fairly tight together, they are still strung along a skinny, slightly hairy stem.  Look at the very back, just inside the left tubing circle.  There is a small clump that has piled up enough to lift out of the water and the stem is showing.  The underside is extra red.  See that very fine, zigzag line?  That’s the connecting stem.

Edited by Odd Duck
Expand on more.
  • Thanks 2

I have seen “baby” RRF as a clump of tiny leaves, but they always have at least a short section of that skinny stem connecting them.

@Cheryl P.I think you’re right about giant duckweed.  I’ve not grown it but some image searching did show some with red undersides.  It looks very similar to your pics.

Hopefully someone that grows it can confirm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/28/2022 at 12:38 PM, Odd Duck said:

I don’t know what they are but they are definitely not red root floaters.  Even if they’re not getting enough light to be red (see the green streak where the opaque lid hinge blocks the light?), red root floaters don’t look or grow anything like that.

Yeah, that's how I have always seen RRFs growing before.  I was so disappointed when I saw what was actually in the bag! It's a good thing I only paid a dollar or two for it.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2022 at 11:38 AM, Odd Duck said:

D8355486-78A0-4148-A68C-9AEE037CB53D.jpeg

If you look close at the edges you can see some new leaves.  Red root floaters don’t grow in clumps like that.  Even when the leaves are growing fairly tight together, they are still strung along a skinny, slightly hairy stem.  Look at the very back, just inside the left tubing circle.  There is a small clump that has piled up enough to lift out of the water and the stem is showing.  The underside is extra red.  See that very fine, zigzag line?  That’s the connecting stem.

The structure looks identical to my red root floaters; include the white flower. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 5:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

😂 🤣 What does that make Wolffia?

Probably not appropriate by Forum guidelines😆🤣

I agree on the giant duckweed, I have it in several tanks (the red variety tastes different in stirfry than the all green varieties, a bit of a peppery aftertaste). I used the microscope to study the various duckweeds in my tnkas.... I have at least 6 different species if I am following the Minnesota extension publication properly. .. including rootless wolffia that is definitely aquatic glitter!

Now, I need a camera that works with the microscope!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:26 PM, Torrey said:

Probably not appropriate by Forum guidelines😆🤣

I agree on the giant duckweed, I have it in several tanks (the red variety tastes different in stirfry than the all green varieties, a bit of a peppery aftertaste). I used the microscope to study the various duckweeds in my tnkas.... I have at least 6 different species if I am following the Minnesota extension publication properly. .. including rootless wolffia that is definitely aquatic glitter!

Now, I need a camera that works with the microscope!

That’s fantastic you’ve tried itand could taste the difference between varieties!  Wolffia species have also been trialed and tested for human and animal foods.  They have decent protein and other nutrient levels, BTW.  😝 

Wolffia is like that superfine glitter that’s completely impossible to eradicate. I’ve managed to keep it confined to only 3 tanks so far, but I know it’s just lurking and waiting for me to slip up.  I refill each of those tanks with a pitcher dipped into my barrel instead of risking the disperser touching those tanks.  I also suck the hottest tap water possible through my python after cleaning those tanks.  All small tanks so far, but I know I’m going to have to do a thorough cleaning of those tanks and filters to clear it.

The big problem is some of my favorite mosses are in the most badly infected tank.  I’ve tried netting frequently, a skimmer filter (the actual pump in it got infested and was a booger to clean), endlers, guppies, and more guppies so far, nothing is working.  I think I might try a couple of mollies next.  I’m not giving up on reclaiming my mosses yet!  I need to RR some of it and see what happens but I haven’t gotten around to that experiment yet.  Stupid Wolffia!  👿 😡